Wazzup?? I'll Open Up With Something Controversial: What Guitarist Don't You "Get"?

I’m not saying it’s not possible to play something amazing in one pentatonic scale in the key but it’s extremely rare.

I couldn't disagree more if you're talking being melodic and creative with I-IV-V blues.

*cough*

square_200@2x.jpg
derek-trucks-interview_fullsize_story1.jpg
Erick-Steckel-01.jpg

Just 3 out of more examples than you can count.

The point I am making is they don’t. Most just play the same BS shapes they play on everything with no melody and no relevance. I am not saying that it can’t happen but it almost never does.

The same could be said for a lot of the Classic Rockers, or Shredders, or Country Rockers, or Death/Black/Doom/etc. Thrashers...........

"Blues" in general isn't hugely appealing to me. But when well-done, it can be quite interesting.

I was at a Nascar race in Darlington, relaxing in the RV. A few rows over, I heard a band start playing. It was all blues-based, but it was good stuff, I could tell they were well-rehearsed, and the music, while being all originals, held my interest. Not something I'd have bought a ticket for, but I liked what I heard.

But it wasn't until maybe the third song that I realized each song was essentially I-IV-V. Once I noticed that, I started to pay closer attention, only to hear the next few songs were also based around a I-IV-V chord structure! I was pleasantly surprised that a band could stay completely in that progression, yet write some really good songs! It was a sort of, lightbulb-over-the-head moment for me.

Learned something new that day. :beer

"Blues" in general isn't hugely appealing to me. But when well-done, it can be quite interesting.

I was at a Nascar race in Darlington, relaxing in the RV. A few rows over, I heard a band start playing. It was all blues-based, but it was good stuff, I could tell they were well-rehearsed, and the music, while being all originals, held my interest. Not something I'd have bought a ticket for, but I liked what I heard.

But it wasn't until maybe the third song that I realized each song was essentially I-IV-V. Once I noticed that, I started to pay closer attention, only to hear the next few songs were also based around a I-IV-V chord structure! I was pleasantly surprised that a band could stay completely in that progression, yet write some really good songs! It was a sort of, lightbulb-over-the-head moment for me.

Learned something new that day. :beer
I used to see BB king and Buddy Guy when they came to the UK I saw SRV as well. I have nothing against great players in any genre.

I used to see BB king and Buddy Guy when they came to the UK I saw SRV as well. I have nothing against great players in any genre.
Agreed. Still though, 5 songs and I was pretty much done. (But at least it was 5, and not 3, like when I saw Yngwie on G3! :sofa )

I don’t like Great White, so, by default, I guess that covers the guitarist, too. But not for the reason you may think. Anytime I get a free trial on XM radio, I always land on Ch 39, Hair Nation.

What I realized is that every f’g 4th song is a Great White song. If I hear that stupid 12-bar intro to Once Bitten…I’m convinced it’s intentional for some cost reason, but haven’t figured that out yet.

I don’t like Great White, so, by default, I guess that covers the guitarist, too. But not for the reason you may think. Anytime I get a free trial on XM radio, I always land on Ch 39, Hair Nation.

What I realized is that every f’g 4th song is a Great White song. If I hear that stupid 12-bar intro to Once Bitten…I’m convinced it’s intentional for some cost reason, but haven’t figured that out yet.
No, it is not. Every fourth song is either GNR or Motley Crue. Maybe they play Great White more often at other times throughout the day, but whenever I am listening to the channel, they are throwing GNR and Motley Crue into the format far too often.

Speaking of radio (in cars specifically, I suppose), there's no reason you need to listen programmed XM radio etc when pretty much all cars nowadays have at least a USB port or Bluetooth connection. For example, you could easily load up a USB stick (and they make super tiny ones with huge amounts of storage now) with all your favorite tunes (typically .mp3 format - 320kbps recommended), plug it in to your car stereo and press play.

This is my local Radio Station. It's amazing. A total outlier in the sewer of FM and Clear Channel
Sirius BS!

I am so blessed. One of the DJs is a great guitarist by the name of Jabo Bihlman. The Station
is a total passion project for the Owner who is as cool and music centric as they come. Just
check out this playlist and then realize this is an FM Station.

Check out the last 20 or so songs they've played. Ton of deep cuts!

Can also stream it anywhere you are in the world.

This is my local Radio Station. It's amazing. A total outlier in the sewer of FM and Clear Channel
Sirius BS!

I am so blessed. One of the DJs is a great guitarist by the name of Jabo Bihlman. The Station
is a total passion project for the Owner who is as cool and music centric as they come. Just
check out this playlist and then realize this is an FM Station.

Check out the last 20 or so songs they've played. Ton of deep cuts!

Can also stream it anywhere you are in the world.

He is all over the place with good music. Pixies to MC covers a lot of ground

Back