Was "Come As You Are" a Ripoff of "Eighties"?

TSJMajesty

Rock Star
I don't know, but it sure as hell sounds the same, but here's something I noticed:

Dave Grohl, in his book Storyteller relates a time when he was young, and his mother would take him to a club where jazz musicians played improv, and allowed sit-ins. On her birthday, she asked Dave if he'd play for her, which he did.

And as he's making his way to the stage, he mentions he was "wearing a tee shirt that said Killing Joke." Not, "I was wearing a Killing Joke tee shirt." I say this because, if I was wearing a Dream Theater tee shirt, that's exactly what I'd say, not that I was wearing a tee shirt that said Dream Theater. I didn't even realize that was the name of the band that had the song Eighties.

Anyway, maybe the way he wrote that sentence doesn't matter, but the interesting thing is that, because Come as You Are does sound a lot like Eighties, maybe the song did come from somewhere else. Dave wearing a tee shirt of said band, and knowing how much he is into all his musical influences, and how his entire life revolves around music, and could run to a soundtrack of all the music in his life, it's not too much of a stretch to think he could've turned Kurt onto Killing Joke, then Kurt writes Come As You Are, released 8 years later than Eighties.

I know it's possible to have someone else's song in the back of your subconscious mind, and then it come out when you write a song, so the fact that Dave knew of this band as a kid, doesn't make it much of a stretch, to me anyway, that Kurt got the idea indirectly from Dave. And ripped someone else off in the process.

And before anyone gets into the "Oh every song can be said to sound like another song if you try hard enough," certain songs are in fact closer, and close enough they'd probably lose in a copywrite dispute. And I think this is one of them.

And yeah, I watched the video from a thread at TOP, but I was only over there looking for the thread in which someone claimed something about "the 5 people at TGF." Which by the way, said poster deserves a great big, Bob Zaod, GFY!

Last edited:
Oh and I didn't get "the rest of the story", because I hadn't watched the rest of the part of the video re those songs. :sofa

It wouldn't surprise me. Nirvana has always said they copied other bands and put their spin on it. One of the bands they "appreciated" the most was The Pixies.

I watched a documentary the other day and noticed an odd pattern.. most stolen music is published exactly 8 years after the original song was published.

:farley

I watched a documentary the other day and noticed an odd pattern.. most stolen music is published exactly 8 years after the original song was published.

:farley
We have the "27 Club", maybe an "8-Year Club" is next? :unsure:

Definitely derivative, and clearly they are fans. They probably caught it halfway through writing but thought “this songs rocks, f—k it”. :ROFLMAO:

Everyone of you including Dave Grohl in his portion of that in the book are wrong like an
80’s water ‘dong bong’.

-It’s the chorus effect coupled with the single note riffage as the main riffer’age….the watery effect against the big beat..go-go beat?

Kurdt’ even admits bitin’ their style a bit

Speaking of beats,
in my travels I drummed-up that:
the common beat of reggae is:
-the common beat of disco but in REVERSE.
-go listen with precision & report back.🤘🏻

Y’all want some BEAST MODE ULTRA
Dave Grohl??

IMAGINE having THAT firepower behind you??
Grohl knows right where we want it as guitar player’s..
AND this is a KILLER live show from back
in the thick of it.

Back