Wah (t's) Going On? A Thread Celebrating The OG Effects Pedal.

la szum

Goatlord
TGF Recording Artist
In the Beginning Was The Wah, and the Wah was with Us, and the Wah Was Us.

I am fascinated by the howling Mid Forward Madness and Mayhem of the Wah Wah
Pedal. Not in an obsessive-compulsive Kirk Hammett way, but something far more
nefarious and unclean. :LOL:

Anywho, I just wanted to start a thread that was Wah-centric, Wah-focused, and Wahtastic!

Feel free to share your faves, your surprises, your tips and tricks, and even your "I forgot I left it
ons" (like I did last night and then ended up playing an hour exploring an accidental tone).

+10 points for any Pics posted here.

Lets Go Conan Obrien GIF by Team Coco

:beer

In the spirit of this thread I felt obligated to purchase another Wah (total accident) and
sacrifice it to the Wah Gods, Honk and Skank. It's the only way I know to keep this thread
pure, clean, and on track. :idk

BBE Ben Wah... aka Vertex NOS Axis Bold As Fraud Wah. :chef

BBE Ben Wah... aka Vertex NOS Axis Bold As Fraud Wah. :chef

I miss my OG Budda Wah. Those things sounded great!!!

The two wahs I miss the most. I had a vertex wah I bought stupidly cheap after the scandal broke before trading for something else I no longer have anymore.
The Budda Wah hurts though. I gigged it for years and it always sounded stellar, I'd love another one.

I bought a broken Ltd edition Dunlop gcb95 in smoked chrome last year, when I work through enough of my build pile I'm going to gut it and build a ben wah clone with some sexy parts and a halo inductor.
1000021170.jpg

1000021171.jpg

Wah is definitely my favorite effect next to delay. I’ll never give Kirk shit for it, I most certainly have a higher wah/solo ratio than Kirk does, I just don’t have fans to call it out. :rofl

My first was a regular Dunlop CryBaby and that started a run of several wahs throughout high school that somehow ended up breaking one after another. Two Bad Horsie’s after that, a Charlie Stringer that I really loved-
s-l1200.jpg

Back to regular CryBaby’s after that until I got the Cantrell wah and most recently the Petrucci wah. Definitely want t get my hands on the BBE wah. Like dirt pedals, they all do something different and have their place. I just love the extra expression they bring to a part, the way they can make a lead pop a bit more.

Man I forgot about those. I remember seeing them in ads in guitarist magazine around 96/97 and thinking they looked awesome. My standard black crybaby just looked so dull by comparison. It's part of the reason I bought the original budda wah, I'm a shallow fuck and bought it because it was as purple and chrome. Thankfully it sounded good too

Back to regular CryBaby’s after that until I got the Cantrell wah

I had the cantrell too but thought it only worked well with gain and lots of it. It seemed to have very little movement over the treadle vs the other wahs I've used.

Oh and I also like the vox wah with the foot controller on the flextone ii amps. The amp sucked but the wah was great.

Man I forgot about those. I remember seeing them in ads in guitarist magazine around 96/97 and thinking they looked awesome. My standard black crybaby just looked so dull by comparison. It's part of the reason I bought the original budda wah, I'm a shallow fuck and bought it because it was as purple and chrome. Thankfully it sounded good too

I had the cantrell too but thought it only worked well with gain and lots of it. It seemed to have very little movement over the treadle vs the other wahs I've used.

Oh and I also like the vox wah with the foot controller on the flextone ii amps. The amp sucked but the wah was great.

Cantrell wah absolutely has less travel than a regular wah-(Cantrell on the right, Petrucci on the left, Petrucci has the same travel as my Mission exp pedals)

img_6532-jpg.24092

Cantrell wah absolutely has less travel than a regular wah-(Cantrell on the right, Petrucci on the left, Petrucci has the same travel as my Mission exp pedals)

img_6532-jpg.24092

Thanks for the pic. I thought that was the case but I've never owned two different wahs at the same time to compare apart from my OG gcb95 and my Bud wah.

Love me some wah

I determined after a certain point that switchless is all that works for me live and being a very stupid man its helpful to not have the wah accidentally being on becoming a troubleshooting issue :LOL:

Interestingly, due to impatience I ended up with the dunlop 105Q switchless bass wah. It was originally just going to be "maybe temporary but I need something switchless that I can go get today" but I've ended up liking the sweep and freq of it so much that I haven't even considered check out the guitar-centric dunlop offering

My 3 favourite wahs.

Screenshot_20240924_022417_Facebook.jpg

The RMC Wizard is my favourite of the lot, especially for leads and solos, but I'll pull out the RMC Joe Walsh depending on what the song needs. I do love a good switchless wah and I'll just grab the 95Q for that, though still pull out my old Bad Horsie from time to time.

I've also got the 105Q for bass and a Crybaby mini for the small board.

I do want to try out more. I missed out on a Vox Char sig and an AMT Japanese Girl. I might get either an RMC11 or a Jerry Cantrel when the opportunity presents itself.

(I posted this in another thread prior...)

I have the Fulltone WahFull (with a Moog volume pedal for controlling wah sweep if you want).

It's killer for cocked wah or regular wah. Originally made for Robin Trower & Joe Satriani.

And it's 3 wahs in 1:

Wacked is similar to the vintage Colorsound Wah, Jimi is identical to the vintage Vox Clyde McCoy wah,
and Shaft is like an early 70’s Chicago CryBaby wah.

...plus a volume and pickup compensator control.

The big "Frequency" knob allows you to fine tune things for cocked-wah tone.

And unlike many traditional wahs, it has a 2MegaOhm (IIRC) input impedance (no tone suck!).

WahFullNoBackground.png

WahFull_rearpanel_2000px.jpg

Back