Video Games

Just a thought:

I've got the PS5 purchase code for Gods of War ~ Ragnarok and would be willing to part with it for a reasonable s/h price if anyone wants it.

PS5 was in short supply so I had to pay an extra $100 to buy it with this code, which I've obviously never used 'cause I only play racing sims.

Just finished Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth. What a masterpiece. I loved the OG so I may be biased but what they've done to these remasters (not even fair to call it that because of how much theyve added and changed).

It was a little too long for my liking and some gameplay mechanics were just not fun. They could have shortened it by 15 hours and it would have greatly benefited. Overall put about 90 hours in and essentially completed everything I could

I'm getting really into Dragon's Dogma 2 now and really enjoying it but some design decisions are just asinine.

Take the two options when you die, for instance. Load from checkpoint or load from last inn rested.

The former basically just means your autosave and the latter means just that.

Except there are fuck all inns all miles apart so if you die most times you've no choice but to load from your autosave because it could be hours since you were last at an inn but depending on where you are when you die this could be incredibly inconvenient.

It would make more sense at least if the option was load from last inn or camp rested but I guess that would've been too smart or something.

Last edited:
I just wish they added a third option "load last manual save"

I always carry at least two wakestones on me just in case

I think Dragon's Dogma 2 is the first game I ever played where it took me longer to get back to where I was after restarting instead of way shorter (because I already know what to do). I've really explored the hell out of everywhere before arriving at the first city.

A patch just dropped, by the way, which adds new graphics settings and the ability to be able to start a new game without having to delete your save.

They're supposedly adding a second save slot

There probably isn't much value to restarting now though unless you failed a ton of quests or something
Agreed. I thought about restarting, too. (Aside: auto save with no option to load manual saves sucks.) But the game is so flexible about letting you try out different vocations, it’s easier to just forge ahead.

(Related: DO NOT change yours or your pawn’s vocation to Sorcerer and try to proceed without a Mage/ healer. You will die. A lot.)

Last edited:
P.S…

Rotating mini-map can kiss my ass. I am CONSTANTLY lost in cities.

Combat is good, not great. Mainly on account of there being so many NPCs involved at all times, and the whole thing feeling like barely controlled chaos. (“Do you guys even need me here? I’m supposed to be the frickin’ chosen one!” I sometimes think they should have subtitled the game, i.e. “Dragon’s Dogma II: Impostor Syndrome” lol.) Nevertheless, battles - especially with larger enemies - are truly epic, filmic.

Quest structure/ cues are inconsistent at best, and I find myself Googling more than I would prefer. (Map markers keep up, or fail to do so, as they please.)

I do wish there were stats selections on leveling up in addition to vocation options.

Fast travel items are way too rare/ expensive and, while I’ve grown to appreciate that the journeys ARE the game, DD2 can be a little ridiculous about sending you back and forth and back and forth across immense distances.

Still, graphics and art work are stunning, and the variety of game mechanics presented via different vocations is incredible. Best “adventuring simulator” I’ve played to date. (And I’ve been at it since “Adventure” on Atari 2600 lol.) Just a remarkable achievement IMO.

tl;dr - I can’t stop playing it.

Last edited:
Rotating mini-map can kiss my ass. I am CONSTANTLY lost in cities.
Yeah it should always be an option which way you prefer. I find myself setting it on a game by game basis. Ideally you would have a separate map of the area that is always "north up" so you can just toggle between the two if you lose your way.

I'm about 50h into Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth and it's honestly just fun. I must've spent like 15 hours of that playing through the Animal Crossing Dondoko Island mode, and have been getting a bit into the Pokemon Sujimon mode (never been a Pokemon fan).

Unlocked a random generated dungeon crawl area for the regular battle mode and that's also done right. It looks boring but every level is quite short and compact so your time is spent mostly in the beef of the mode, the battles. You can also be tactical and just avoid some battles if you can figure out that there's another way around a room with enemies. If you don't end up here completely overleveled, the fights can be the right kind of challenging where you feel proud after winning. All the stuff they added to the combat have really elevated it where there's more options to be tactical, make your characters vs enemy placement etc.

It's a great example of a game that is built gameplay first, with storytelling that supports the gameplay. Visually it's good, not great, but hey I can run it at 4K 120 fps with all bells and whistles so no complaints. It's clearly a game made with a lot of love and improves on the previous game on pretty much every level.

Finished DD2 over the weekend

Will be replaying for sure (never did find the Warfarer vocation)

Also never experienced "Dragonsplague" - a buddy of mine did and without spoiling what actually happens he did tell me that literally every NPC in Bakbattahl died :rofl :oops:

My playthru took me 80+ hours and there's still shit to discover. Win

Agreed. I thought about restarting, too. (Aside: auto save with no option to load manual saves sucks.) But the game is so flexible about letting you try out different vocations, it’s easier to just forge ahead.

Yup and you're gonna wanna play each vocation anyway to get the good augments (for anyone new to DD the augments can be applied to any vocation after unlocking them)

Yup and you're gonna wanna play each vocation anyway to get the good augments (for anyone new to DD the augments can be applied to any vocation after unlocking them)
I didn't realize that. Cool!

A few hours into Dragon's Dogma 2 and I just can't seem to get excited about playing it much. The combat is OK but a bit of a muddle so far - probably due to my lack of facing a good enemy thanks to not playing much.

I save my game to the Cloud on a regular basis/good restart point as my manual save.

I think I've played the Demo to Stellar Blade more than DD2. And I enjoyed Bayonetta for the crazy gameplay.

I'll get back to DD2 - I think I just haven't played a full non-Soulslike RPG in years and need to reaquaint myself with it. An actual story! NPCs! Group combat!

I'll get back to DD2 - I think I just haven't played a full non-Soulslike RPG in years and need to reaquaint myself with it. An actual story! NPCs! Group combat!
I think DD2 with Soulslike melee for combat would be pretty much my ideal game.

Back