Using The Pitch Block To "Cheat", Anyone?

TSJMajesty

Rock Star
So I'm working up Deep Purple's Highway Star. I've pretty much got it, and I was thinking, well what about the organ solo, ala how Satch does it in Chickenfoot?

Well, I ain't no Joe Satriani, but there's 4 bars in that solo that are played over an Am, E, Gm, D, and it's a 4-note arpeggio. So you could play them on the high E string like this:

8p5p0h5, 7p4p0h4, then hit the pitch transpose down 1 step, and repeat for the next 2 chords. That's as far as I looked at it, but it does work, i.e., it switches seamlessly. (Fractal Axe III) I first thought about tapping, but it's a pretty wide stretch for me, unless I played way up in 14th position, on the 4th string. Actually, tapping it on the 1st string makes it easier to play, using the open string means no crazy stretching.

So why not? Got a difficult part in a song that could be shifted to utilize open strings, but that's not the key? Set up a channel on the pitch block, and just change to it during that part.

I mean, Nuno used a delay in a different way for Flight of the Wounded Bumblebee, so...

Anyone else doing something like this, with all this crazy tech we have at our disposal? Oh, and look at what M@tt over at Fractal created today in the Axe Turbo. Stuff like that. (well, stuff like that is a whole nother level, but you get the idea.)

Last edited:
not quite the same, but I recently used the pitch wham in native to automate a couple notes a few cents sharper that I should've bent just a lil more.... worked a treat

IOW, if it works... do it!

I like the pitch shift on the HX Stomp enough for me to give my baritone to a friend on permanent loan. I haven’t used it mid song though. I started to set it up to cover bass while the bassist solos but we haven’t used it in practice yet.

no additional IR loading pedal because Boss is stupid necessary
Boss is perfect, hence why they're not mocked in my prior post. In fact, its raison d'etre is to sing the praises of the company, their products, and their corporate ethos.

Surely, we can agree on this

Boss is perfect, hence why they're not mocked in my prior post. In fact, its raison d'etre is to sing the praises of the company, their products, and their corporate ethos.

Surely, we can agree on this
Confused Curb Your Enthusiasm GIF

Back