Using A Plugin With an Axe Preset At The Same Time- It Sounds Better?

TSJMajesty

Rock Star
You know when you do a unison bend on the G & B strings, and you barre the E & B, and kinda rake across all 3 notes?

I try to roll my finger so the 2 notes on the B & E don't ring together, cuz I swear there's a different type of distortion in a modeler that makes those 2 notes not sound right. It's not a thing when playing thru an amp.

So just now, I was using a blank preset, and playing thru the NSDP Petrucci plugin, and for sh!ts & giggles, I decided to switch to the Petrucci Rig preset, and play through both that, and the plugin at the same time, and I swear I noticed right away, that those 2 notes sounded fine, even "creamy-like."

I have no idea why this is, but because overlapping notes is a thing that drives me crazy, and as such, I try very hard to make sure I don't let those notes (when changing to a different string) ring together, I really don't think this is some kind of "confirmation bias," because I noticed it immediately.

I'm wondering why this is. Has anybody experienced any of this? Not necessarily using a modeler preset at the same time as a plugin, but hearing an unpleasant dissonance when using a modeler/Fractal, that you don't hear when using an amp?

Back