Umphrey's Mcgee + Mike Portnoy

spawnofthesith

Shredder
I know there's some DT fans around here..

Kris Meyers had to have shoulder surgery a couple months ago so he has been out of commission for the current tour. A number of other drummers in the jam scene have been cycling through filling in. Anyone family with Meyer's know that those are incredibly large shoes to fill. When this was announced I even thought, "damn I think Portnoy is the only drummer skilled enough to truly bring it at the same level"

Low and behold they just announced today that Portnoy will be playing one of the nights of their new years eve run. That should be a very cool show to check out.. to my knowledge they've never done a DT cover, would be cool to see them drop something

This is sooo unexpected. Can’t wait to see some footage.

I subscribe to nugs so I get access to every UM show pretty much within 24 hours but I think I might go for the live stream on this one. I can only imagine that they're really gonna be going all out on the proggier material that night, I'm sure the setlist will be nuts

Thing about jam bands, generally speaking from what I have seen. Is that they all have this killer indie inspired eco-system where they do their own thing and the baked (lol)in audience is HUGE. I dig that about that scene overall \m/

Jam Band Fans are the best. Truly. If we don't count Metal Fans. :LOL:

I think I mentioned subbing for an entire Summer Festival season with a Jam Band,
and them loopy fucks would twirl, dance, and sway to every wanking second. That's
some commitment I cannot relate to at all. But I did love it! :chef

I do disapprove of the general level of "Yes, we are ALL camping, don't wear shoes and our feet are
beyond filthy, and you are also correct Sir, no one here showers, we just slap on some more Patchouli." :LOL:

I do disapprove of the general level of "Yes, we are ALL camping, don't wear shoes and our feet are
beyond filthy, and you are also correct Sir, no one here showers, we just slap on some more Patchouli." :LOL:
Jim Carrey Vomit GIF

John Witherspoon Funk GIF

This is the only jam band I’ve ever listened to and really enjoyed, I need to get back into them, it’s been a while. Definitely expected but really fuckin’ cool! Some of my favorite Portnoy playing is when he’s improvising.
Yeah I dig them.

The setlist with Portnoy certainly was not what I was expecting (very cover heavy) and I was real surprised they didn't drop a Dream Theater song in there, but very cool none the less. Plunger is a pretty intense song on drums but obviously Portnoy can handle anything. Cool stuff, and enjoyed how he contributed to improv sections. Looked like he was really enjoying himself on stage, I know he's spoken about being an Umphrey's Mcgee fan since like 2004

Set 2: In the Flesh? (Pink Floyd cover) (>) Another Brick in the Wall (Pink Floyd cover) (>) Puppet String You Never Give Me Your Money (The Beatles cover) Plunger (>) Driven to Tears (The Police cover) Abacab (Genesis cover) (>) Wizard Burial Ground Encore: Conduit Big Bottom (Spïnal Tap cover) YYZ (Rush cover)

UM leans a lil more prog than I do, but thats a fairly classic rock heavy setlist right there. I might check it out when I get done listening to the Gamehenge set for the 40th time. :LOL:

UM leans a lil more prog than I do, but thats a fairly classic rock heavy setlist right there. I might check it out when I get done listening to the Gamehenge set for the 40th time. :LOL:

Still need to scope that out, slowly making my way through everyone's NYE runs on nugs... I'll be stuck listening to a crappy tape job for phsh

Back