Ugh….my heartstrings…

DrewJD82

Staff member
A friend of mine hit me up this morning because she knows I’ve been thinking about getting a dog.

F5E355C6-CB33-4FA8-9F7F-FC4A8419BA31.jpeg

54E06C76-ADB7-4323-88CC-F74F1F15D9A9.jpeg

7A35250E-40D6-4BEB-A483-5C3FA8186876.jpeg

Her friends found her walking the streets with no collar/tags and after a week of trying to find an owner, can’t keep her anymore as they already have two dogs and 3 kids. I’ve been debating getting a dog for the last 6 months and keep putting it off because I get concerned about traveling/being away as I don’t have anyone to watch one for me and I HATE bringing them to a kennel.

I‘m a dog lover to the point humans stop existing around me when I’m with a dog. Doesn’t matter what breed or size, I love them all. I’m holding myself back from just saying “When can I pick her up?” but I don’t take these decisions lightly, at all.

Ugh. What a hard sweety to say no to. Remember; you get a dog and it is all in for YEARS! Love them but don't take the responsibility lightly. I know you don't either but just as a reminder.

This is exactly why I’ve spent 6 months debating it. Up until our bud Griffin passed about a year and a half ago our house was a rescue haven for so many dogs and cats. I’ve been volunteering at the local no-kill shelter for about 5 years now, I go in every couple weeks and walk the dogs. I‘ve seen so many situations where someone got a dog only to realize 2 months into it that it’s like having a kid that can eat your house.

Now that I live alone, it’s one less person to take on the responsibilities. Griffin literally ate doors and walls in my house, I sometimes had to spend weeks fixing what his anxiety caused him to destroy. I don’t have as much of that luxury in an apartment I don’t own.

In general, I do not believe the human race deserves the companionship dogs offer.

If I had it my way, I’d live on a giant piece of land where I can take in every senior dog without a home and hire a vet to just take care of their medical needs while I enjoy the fun stuff. Or any dog, for that matter.

This is exactly why I’ve spent 6 months debating it. Up until our bud Griffin passed about a year and a half ago our house was a rescue haven for so many dogs and cats. I’ve been volunteering at the local no-kill shelter for about 5 years now, I go in every couple weeks and walk the dogs. I‘ve seen so many situations where someone got a dog only to realize 2 months into it that it’s like having a kid that can eat your house.

Now that I live alone, it’s one less person to take on the responsibilities. Griffin literally ate doors and walls in my house, I sometimes had to spend weeks fixing what his anxiety caused him to destroy. I don’t have as much of that luxury in an apartment I don’t own.

In general, I do not believe the human race deserves the companionship dogs offer.

If I had it my way, I’d live on a giant piece of land where I can take in every senior dog without a home and hire a vet to just take care of their medical needs while I enjoy the fun stuff. Or any dog, for that matter.
Good on you. I'd end up bringing a dog home every other day from the walk :cry:

Good on you. I'd end up bringing a dog home every other day from the walk :cry:

It’s REALLY hard not to and that’s exactly how we ended up with Griffin. He was brought in with two younger brothers who got adopted immediately but because he was so old and his health was so bad, we knew no one would adopt him. He’s the one they told us “He probably only has about 2 months left in him” and within 3 months he was running laps in the backyard and hung out with us for 3 more years.

The last year it hasn’t been too bad because I’m so nervous about it and the walks themselves tend to fill me up with enough dog-time that I’m good for a couple weeks. Especially when I get one or two that aren’t trained on a leash yet.

What a cutie!
The one thing I dislike with living alone is not being able to have pets. I works shifts, and like to travel a lot, so that would never work..
I really love animals.

That's what is so hard and challenging about being solo and having a dog. That isolation time every day
is not healthy for them. They can eat an entire inside of an house trying to quell their anxiety.

Tough call.

I wish more people would consider what is best for the pet/animal in question and what suits their
nature and undersatand that they often need more than what one person can give them.

Back