Tuno-O-Matic Bridges

Deadpan

Shredder
Vendor
Been playing these on many of my guitars and find it a bit uncomfortable to play Fender style and Floyd Rose now.

Seems to be the height of the bridge to the body.

Hands down the best feeling hard-tail style Bridge ever made.

Screenshot 2023-09-10 at 22-28-03 Ibanez Gibraltar 3 Guitar Bridge in Gold Fit Ibanez Artcore_...png

I have often wondered if you could retrofit one of these on a non Ibby guitar?

Been playing these on many of my guitars and find it a bit uncomfortable to play Fender style and Floyd Rose now.

I agree completely. If I were to spec out my own signature model, it’d have a Tune-O-Matic.

To me the Tune-o-matic is one of the worst bridge designs out there.
  • Low intonation range. You often need to flip a saddle to get more range.
  • Complicated installation. Needs neck angle or recessing the bridge to the body.
  • Most of them have downright bad saddle mounting (rattling retainer wire, or C-clips).
  • Need a tailpiece or string thru, which makes for much more rigorous neck angle requirements.
I still have TOMs on several guitars. The best bridge of that type is the Yamaha made one on my Yamaha SA-1200S that is over 40 years old. It has more intonation range and incredibly precise machining. Yet somehow modern Tune-o-matics are a sloppy mess.

To me the Tune-o-matic is one of the worst bridge designs out there.
  • Low intonation range. You often need to flip a saddle to get more range.
  • Complicated installation. Needs neck angle or recessing the bridge to the body.
  • Most of them have downright bad saddle mounting (rattling retainer wire, or C-clips).
  • Need a tailpiece or string thru, which makes for much more rigorous neck angle requirements.
I still have TOMs on several guitars. The best bridge of that type is the Yamaha made one on my Yamaha SA-1200S that is over 40 years old. It has more intonation range and incredibly precise machining. Yet somehow modern Tune-o-matics are a sloppy mess.
And add that old zinc ones (ie all of them ) sag in the middle and loose the radius over time. And if the stoptail it too low and the string touches the body of the back as well as the saddle top it degrades the tone.

I would argue that the best sounding Gibson style bridge (by this I mean transfer of string energy through the most direct path and low part count) is the PRS one with fixed intonation. These are excellent as long as you use a standard gauge string set;
prs-wraparound-stoptail-bridge-with-brass-inserts-aluminium.jpg

I like the PRS bridge and tailpiece on my 594, it's the best tune-o-matic style I've owned. That Ibanez @la szum mentioned looks nice as well.

Didn't like the PRS wrap around (no separate tailpiece) that was on my Paul's (since traded-in), felt the strings were way too far off the body and I couldn't be lazy while chugging away.

I think if I were to replace some of the saddle allen screws on my Saber, the EBMM bridge would be the most comfy. The D and G are sticking out a bit too far, so shorter ones would make more sense. Supposedly they'll send me new ones if I ask nicely, so that's on the to-do list.

Also like the feel of Floyd's and Ibanez Lo-Pro Edge, but my hand finds the muting spot easiest on the EBMM - seems automatic.

Hands down the best feeling hard-tail style Bridge ever made.

View attachment 10735

I have often wondered if you could retrofit one of these on a non Ibby guitar?

I’d imagine if the string spacing matches it wouldn’t be a big deal. I fucking love this bridge and am dumbfounded on why they stopped making it. Perfect fucking solution to a TOM. Why the hell are there still sharp edges on saddles at all in 2023?!?!?!?

I need to remember to look for these occasionally, I want to get a black one for my SZ.

I feel like I need to stay on one style of bridge or the other. TOM bridges usually have me feeling like my hand (or my forearm as well) is too far from the body.

Back