Tried the Valeton GP200 today

It’s not surprising the Hotone stuff on the hi gain sounds really good to my ears
The lows end attack is very tight and clear vs Line6 that just kind of tubby and unfocused
Since Valeton is Hotone they are likely using similar algos

It’s not surprising the Hotone stuff on the hi gain sounds really good to my ears
The lows end attack is very tight and clear vs Line6 that just kind of tubby and unfocused
Since Valeton is Hotone they are likely using similar algos

I didnt know that but I have a Hotone MIDI controller and it's superb and also the 2 button footswitch which is heavy duty and works great.

I just did this after watching Arena 2000 and Valeton GP-200 demos. Checked the firmware release notes for the GP-200 and it sealed it for me. Let's see if it can unseat the MX5 as my backup rig.

Brand new unit. Guy just bought it to make a demo video and then boxed it up.

View attachment 12544

Neither of those units entered my radar until today.
Some of the other stuff that sealed it for me was a good sounding/tracking poly pitch, all 8 footswitches can be assigned to anything, and I like the look of it better than the Arena 2000
Bob, I just scored a deal on a NEW Valeton GP-200R (Red) $302 shipping & tax included ! 14 day return policy.

This one has me VERY curious....

1698374232036.png

Yours should be arriving today. Mine will show up next week... :clint
Yep mine is due in today. Got a very busy day and night ahead so hopefully get some time with it but it looks doubtful. Then tomorrow have to be in Santa Fe for 9am for an 11am downbeat at an outdoor show.

Last edited:
Well the seller wasn't lying this thing is new. He even included the picks that come with it. Holding it the thing has some heft to it. Definitely a heavy duty built unit.

Attachments

• IMG_20231027_113716128.jpg
    IMG_20231027_113716128.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20231027_113741239_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231027_113741239_HDR.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20231027_113749095.jpg
    IMG_20231027_113749095.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20231027_115523612~2.jpg
    IMG_20231027_115523612~2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Well the seller wasn't lying this thing is new. He even included the picks that come with it. Holding it the thing has some heft to it. Definitely a heavy duty built unit.
The dual XLRs was a plus that's for sure. I would have got a black model but this offer was for one dressed in Red...that's ok.

I like the low profile too. Congrats on the (NEW) GP-200....:banana

Havent played through it yet but some early observations...

Boot time is like less than 5 seconds (timed it. exactly 5 seconds)
Updating the FW was easy and pretty quick (roughly 5 minutes to go from 1.30 to 1.40)
The editor is :chef
The knobs feel really nice. Like something that costs way more than this and honestly way better than my Helix LT knobs
Built a complete rig in the editor in less than 10 minutes
The USB C cable that comes with it is crap.
I thought maybe the port itself was a little wonky but changing to one I had, it's nice and tight and unit is seen instantly

Overall the unit feels to the hands like it should cost way more than it does.

1698558407687.png

Last edited:

Boot time is like less than 5 seconds
Updating the FW was easy and pretty quick (roughly 5 minutes to go from 1.30 to 1.40)
The knobs feel really nice. Like something that costs way more than this and honestly way better than my Helix LT knobs
I thought maybe the port itself was a little wonky but changing to one I had, it's nice and tight and unit is seen instantly

View attachment 12989
Sounds promising ! Mine should land on Tuesday or Wednesday....

I didnt know that but I have a Hotone MIDI controller and it's superb and also the 2 button footswitch which is heavy duty and works great.

Yeah, both Sonicake and Valeton are OEM brands for Hotone. So if you dig Ampero tones, a GP-200 is a really cost effective way of getting you there.

Yeah, both Sonicake and Valeton are OEM brands for Hotone. So if you dig Ampero tones, a GP-200 is a really cost effective way of getting you there.

I have never used any of their stuff other than the bluetooth MIDI controller and a 2 button footswitch.

Boot time is like less than 5 seconds (timed it. exactly 5 seconds)

View attachment 12989

Bob, Are you satisfied with the tones ? Did you try some 3rd party cab IRs ?

Oh, the perks of adult life.

I wish it was perks. We emptied 2 rooms and swapped their contents. I slept well thats for sure. The contents included 3 dressers, a 200lb oak armoire, a 75" TV and it's stand. Still today picking from the staging area to decide what goes where.

I got to spend about 20 minutes with it. For some reason every single patch I created ( 8 of them) had no output and I couldnt suss it out so I did a factory reset and output was fine and tweaked the first preset some. I think it had something to do with how I set up the volume pedal but who knows now.

Early thought is it's a usable modeling unit. Tried several amps like MK IIc+, SLO100, and Friedman BE-100. Big surprise that I liked the Mark IIc+ the best so far. Back to the grind now. Hopefully spend a couple hours dialing tonight or tomorrow.

Just an update as I go through this thing and learn it's ins and outs. I am going direct to PA into a pair of EV ELX 112P's at band volume. Hitting the mixer with unity gain.

It's kind of dead feeling to the hands. Seemed to improve when I moved the noise gate to the very first thing in the chain.
The Polyphonic tuning is not very good. Even at just -1 there is noticeable lag and warbling. Not starkly noticeable, but not good compared to
Helix Poly Capo or HR MX5. Emergency use only for this. Hopefully they remedy this in a future update.
Stock cabs so far are not very good. YA Mesa V30 IR's seemed to do the trick though.

Overall tones so far are good. I have only spent an hour or so with it today but at this early point I'd rank it above the MG-30 and below the MX5 BUT I have not "skinned the cat" yet so this is all subject to change. I'd like to suss out the dead feel it has to it first.

Back