TONEX - A softball ask for those who have been following this product and it’s discussion

KingsXJJ

Roadie
When this unit hit my radar a few days ago, I know, I know. I’ve been out of the pocket and haven’t kept up when I first heard of it. I thought of it as the next step up from my X-drive. I knew the X-drive lacked amps and IR’s. I’ve since learn this unit also adds reverb, stomps, EQ, etc.. and then it also does captures. And all of that sounds great, since I would’ve bought it for the amps and IR’s alone.

So If understand it I can do captures of amps and cabs and stomps using the bundled software and my laptop alone. Is this correct or am I missing something? Besides modulation and delay, and perhaps some specific reverbs this thing has the potential to replace my amplifiers boost and drive pedals and possibly compressor pedals, as well as some generic reverbs. Replaced by presets.

Is this sh!t for real? What am I missing? Can somebody give me the TDLR please? Is the poor man’s Kemper and maybe more in a pedal?

Does this mean I can dump my dirt pedals and outlier amps once I “capture” them?

Will these captures suffer from the same limitation as Kemper? Or is that what the AI overcomes?

Does this mean I can dump my dirt pedals and outlier amps once I “capture” them?

Will these captures suffer from the same limitation as Kemper? Or is that what the AI overcomes?
You can't run both dirt pedals and amps at the same time. Only one amp or one pedal. It does have onboard, comp, noise gate, reverb.

As far as if it's better than Kemper, I think data has shown it's more accurate. Now if that means you think it will sound better is up to you

You can't run both dirt pedals and amps at the same time. Only one amp or one pedal. It does have onboard, comp, noise gate, reverb.

As far as if it's better than Kemper, I think data has shown it's more accurate. Now if that means you think it will sound better is up to you
Yes, this, to mix and match captures of pedals + amps you'd need two ToneX pedals (for double the latency) unless you were to capture all the permutations you wanted.

I think I could be cool with that! Maybe next gen will offer both simultaneously

Wait, it won't let you run the captures where you do stomp+amp? or do you mean you can't run a stomp capture and an amp capture at the same time?

Wait, it won't let you run the captures where you do stomp+amp? or do you mean you can't run a stomp capture and an amp capture at the same time?
I guess that's (cascading/staging two or more captures) not the way this is supposed to work.

You could, however, capture both an amp on its own and with a pedal up front, load the two into the same bank, and switch back and forth without latency/gap.

Or capture a pedal on its own and run it into a separate (non-ToneX) amp.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Yup, but the drive is "baked in" that way. I suppose he was implying he wanted to switch the drive on/off, which would very well necessitate two captures.
Well, to be fair… that kinda makes sense. I guess a ToneX-X2 could get around it by having multiple capture/playback machines in a slightly larger foot print. I can imagine something like the T.C. Electronics Plethora X5 or X3 entering the chat but with this UI and capability.

You can switch from one preset to the next. So a preset without the boost and then a preset with the boost baked in. FWIW; I have 1 successful capture session with a baked in dirt pedal. I tried over and over and over with my SD-1 to no avail. What I do know:

1. My slightly modded OG capture with some accentuated bass, treble and gain sound KILLER through my Boogie fx return and 412 :satan:satan:satan

2. Boosting said profile with the SD-1/OCD/RAT/dual mode poverty Klone sounds RIDONKULOUS through this same rig :guiness:love:guiness:satan

3. My capture with Grid Slammer up front and go to IR sounds just as GNARLY through my SS Camplifier into my 112 loaded F12.

@KingsXJJ ; you would have a blast capturing your array of ampage with this I think \m/

I am going to either edit my OG capture (that was the pre-edit for my modded preset) to be more sparkly and a hair "cleaner" or I am going to take a capture with a little more jangle but less gain. Then I am going to use this same capture method and do a full rig cap with my IRs with no boost up front and a janglier cleaner one with built in cab. After that; the Badlander is well represented for me.

Well, to be fair… that kinda makes sense. I guess a ToneX-X2 could get around it by having multiple capture/playback machines in a slightly larger foot print. I can imagine something like the T.C. Electronics Plethora X5 or X3 entering the chat but with this UI and capability.
With the size of the pedal, you could easily for the dsp for running four captures if not 64. Its nothing to do with the physical size, until you get WAY smaller than this, not sure if this is the DSP, but it will be similar sized

chrome_pXOHQgQZ69.png

You can switch from one preset to the next. So a preset without the boost and then a preset with the boost baked in. FWIW; I have 1 successful capture session with a baked in dirt pedal. I tried over and over and over with my SD-1 to no avail. What I do know:

1. My slightly modded OG capture with some accentuated bass, treble and gain sound KILLER through my Boogie fx return and 412 :satan:satan:satan

2. Boosting said profile with the SD-1/OCD/RAT/dual mode poverty Klone sounds RIDONKULOUS through this same rig :guiness:love:guiness:satan

3. My capture with Grid Slammer up front and go to IR sounds just as GNARLY through my SS Camplifier into my 112 loaded F12.

@KingsXJJ ; you would have a blast capturing your array of ampage with this I think \m/

I am going to either edit my OG capture (that was the pre-edit for my modded preset) to be more sparkly and a hair "cleaner" or I am going to take a capture with a little more jangle but less gain. Then I am going to use this same capture method and do a full rig cap with my IRs with no boost up front and a janglier cleaner one with built in cab. After that; the Badlander is well represented for me.
When will we see the FM9 on classified?

Jkjkjk

Or?

Back