Tinnitus attack

Alex Kenivel

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
I have mild tinnitus where ringing comes and goes, never had a hearing test for it but today I woke up and my left ear is screaming at me. Not sure why, I had buds in for a total of 20 minutes yesterday during a workout but nothing too loud, no guitar playing, no drums.

I've never heard it this strong before

I have mild tinnitus where ringing comes and goes, never had a hearing test for it but today I woke up and my left ear is screaming at me. Not sure why, I had buds in for a total of 20 minutes yesterday during a workout but nothing too loud, no guitar playing, no drums.

I've never heard it this strong before

Can get wicked loud w things you put into yourself …

Caffeine Nicotine Booze Ickysticky etc

Bioflavonoids seem to help

In addition to @fretworn's intake comments, I've found that excessive salt intake and the resultant higher blood pressure can cause raised levels of tinnitus for me too. Salt intake is worth keeping an eye on for more general health reasons, ofc.

O/T: Dr is always telling me to eat more salt… Lol… Told me to eat some facking potato chips

I guess I process sodium a little differently than most … Seems to be a complicated thing about how your body deals with water 💦

I have a pretty good case of tinnitus … too much physical damage; mostly music but other things go boom 💥 and then the few unblocked slaps to the head. 😝

Live life and come across home-plate like you actually played the game well and hard.

Could dairy do it? I stay as far away from dairy as I can but we had a dish last night with a bunch of cheese in it.

Whenever my ears start ringing all I really have to do is stick my fingers in my ears and the ringing eventually Fades away. Doesn't seem to be working today.

I would say number one, don't panic, tinnitus can go up and down. You may have a spike if you're stressed out, sick, or have other issues like high blood pressure. Try and take care of yourself like you're fighting a bad cold and it should get a lot better.

If it doesn't go away within a couple days, there's still a lot of ways to improve it. I've been working on habituating to some tinnitus I got last summer when I got some bad noise damage to my already damaged ears.

I was reminded that it could be sinuses which makes sense around this time of year for me. My head goes crazy in the springtime. Will report back after a few Benadryl and a nap. :banana

Hope I'm not overstepping the mark (on your private / personal choices), but Benadryl is pretty nasty stuff from the first wave of anti-histamines produced in the 1940s and it's worth finding a modern alternative if possible. As a newcomer to North America, I used to take it for allergies - I'd never seen it in the UK, so I was completely unaware of its background until I started to feel weird and messed up.

Last edited:
Hope I'm not overstepping the mark (on your private choices), but Benadryl is super nasty stuff from the first anti-histamines produced in the 1940s and it's worth finding a modern alternative if possible. As a newcomer to North America, I used to take it for allergies - I'd never seen it in the UK, so I was completely unaware of its background.

Zyrtec works much better w me. Ymmv

I take Benadryl occasionally specifically for helping me sleep. It's pretty benign from what my doctors have said. I wouldn't take it during the day.

I was reminded that it could be sinuses which makes sense around this time of year for me. My head goes crazy in the springtime. Will report back after a few Benadryl and a nap. :banana
Autumn in my neck of the woods, windy and a bit dry so sinus is rampant, and my ears ring more. I'll get a sinus infection every year that will need the anti-biotics to clear it up. I use saline flush sprays in the shower combined with the steam, and a combo of Nasonex and Rhinocort. I don't so much get the "ringing" like I've just wrestled a 100w stack for an hour (I wear plugs/muffs), but the "leaking compressed air line" sound.

no drowsiness or brain fog
Well that's no fun :hmm
Hope I'm not overstepping the mark (on your private / personal choices), but Benadryl is pretty nasty stuff from the first wave of anti-histamines produced in the 1940s and it's worth finding a modern alternative if possible. As a newcomer to North America, I used to take it for allergies - I'd never seen it in the UK, so I was completely unaware of its background until I started to feel weird and messed up.
Not at all! I was completely unaware, thank you.

I feel fine atm other than the ringing. Woke up and went to the gym.

I would say number one, don't panic, tinnitus can go up and down. You may have a spike if you're stressed out, sick, or have other issues like high blood pressure. Try and take care of yourself like you're fighting a bad cold and it should get a lot better.

If it doesn't go away within a couple days, there's still a lot of ways to improve it. I've been working on habituating to some tinnitus I got last summer when I got some bad noise damage to my already damaged ears.

Great advice, in my experience. Habituation is key. It's like floaters and vision loss. Over time we adapt and
kind of get used to it. Not always fun. But wanting it to go away is kind of futile in my experience.

I also religiously wear protection when jamming and playing music. Always have. I even pop in plugs when
I am mowing the yard or vacuuming the house. Every little bit helps in the long run.

Great advice, in my experience. Habituation is key. It's like floaters and vision loss. Over time we adapt and
kind of get used to it. Not always fun. But wanting it to go away is kind of futile in my experience.

I also religiously wear protection when jamming and playing music. Always have. I even pop in plugs when
I am mowing the yard or vacuuming the house. Every little bit helps in the long run.
The thing is, I didn't do anything to exacerbate my already existing issues with tinnitus. I would really have to focus on it to even hear what tone the ringing is. I simply woke up after a very normal day and it was louder than ever. So loud that I can hear more than one tone and they're wobbling and seemingly phasing with each other. I've been very careful with my ears since about 2015.

Sorry you have to go through that. I know the feeling, left ear for me too. The worse though is when it happens going to bed. It took me a while to accept it, and I have good days with it now.

Back