Avenged Sevenfold

Learned about these guys from a friend back when they were in their metalcore phase and I wrote them off.

I really enjoyed City of Evil when it came out, was happy to hear harmonized arpeggiated gymnastics in popular music.

I couldn't really get into much after that. This new single has some cool stuff going on, but not really my thing. Maybe it'll grow on me

Not a conventional guitar tone in that new song--apart from the solo. I don't know wtf to
think of it. Isn't blowing my mind. :idk

Kind of down-tempo and a little plodding. Is this what middle-aged A7X sounds like?? :LOL:

Yeah, I haven’t always been a fan of their guitar tones, always on the thin side and they don’t do a lot of layering, which I suppose helps them sound more authentic to the album when they play live. Big synth sound covering the guitars, it’s almost the same synth tone I used on that track I recorded that Derek Sherinian played on, complete with the pitch bends.

The song is picking up my interest more because it’s such an odd 1st single more than anything else, I’m very curious as to what the rest of this album will be like. Then again, they released an 8:33 min song as the lead single off the last album. It’s more that stuff that really piques my interest because they just don’t follow any kind of standard/safe format, it’s just “F*ck it, let’s throw it out there and see what happens”

I dunno how much money these guys have in the bank but I’m assuming they’re doing ok. I don’t know how they didn’t eat their ass with the last tour cycle because they had a f*cking HUGE stage production and basically put it in storage to go tour Europe with Metallica and had a ton of cancellations around that album cycle. You’d think after that they’d bust out an album full of singles then tour to pay off whatever they lost, instead they waited 7 years to release anything at all and just went further down the prog route.

Getting Brooks Wackerman in the band was an excellent choice. They get to keep the SoCal Punk heritage while getting a monster drummer at the same time.

This tune is a great example of why I dig ‘em, I never would have thought to write something like this with the horns-

Always loved the band.. never a fan of the singers voice.

The first tune I ever heard was Bat Country and I was blown away by the drummer so I had to look them up...

Mike Portnoy.. duh, that explains it.
Again, always loved the musicality.. probably would've listened more if it was instrumental.. and I could say the same for DT :sofa

Yeah, I haven’t always been a fan of their guitar tones, always on the thin side and they don’t do a lot of layering, which I suppose helps them sound more authentic to the album when they play live. Big synth sound covering the guitars, it’s almost the same synth tone I used on that track I recorded that Derek Sherinian played on, complete with the pitch bends.

The song is picking up my interest more because it’s such an odd 1st single more than anything else, I’m very curious as to what the rest of this album will be like. Then again, they released an 8:33 min song as the lead single off the last album. It’s more that stuff that really piques my interest because they just don’t follow any kind of standard/safe format, it’s just “F*ck it, let’s throw it out there and see what happens”

I dunno how much money these guys have in the bank but I’m assuming they’re doing ok. I don’t know how they didn’t eat their ass with the last tour cycle because they had a f*cking HUGE stage production and basically put it in storage to go tour Europe with Metallica and had a ton of cancellations around that album cycle. You’d think after that they’d bust out an album full of singles then tour to pay off whatever they lost, instead they waited 7 years to release anything at all and just went further down the prog route.

Getting Brooks Wackerman in the band was an excellent choice. They get to keep the SoCal Punk heritage while getting a monster drummer at the same time.

This tune is a great example of why I dig ‘em, I never would have thought to write something like this with the horns-

His voice is a tough swallow for me at times. Weird how the inherent tonality of a singer's voice
is like an instant attraction.... or distraction. :idk

You are either in for the ride or not.

I am all for creativity and outside the box maneuvers. Have to push the envelope and experiment,
but then the risk is becoming a little too cute. I will say they have their own sound---even with Horns.
Not every band can say that.

His voice is a tough swallow for me at times. Weird how the inherent tonality of a singer's voice
is like an instant attraction.... or distraction. :idk

You are either in for the ride or not.

I am all for creativity and outside the box maneuvers. Have to push the envelope and experiment,
but then the risk is becoming a little too cute. I will say they have their own sound---even with Horns.
Not every band can say that.

I can’t stand that ‘leering nasal’ sound he does at times, if that makes any sense. I have a lot of respect for him for the work he’s put into his voice, he worked with Ron Anderson for quite a while and that dude has coached EVERYBODY, Mariah, Celine, Bon Jovi, Axl, I mean EVERYBODY who is anybody with a mic has been taught by that dude. Vai even took lessons with him.

The tone of his voice often overshadows what he’s doing on a technical level, where someone like LaBrie has the total opposite thing going on with his voice being so crystal clear and operatic it sounds schooled from the second he opens his mouth.

Mike Portnoy.. duh, that explains it.
Again, always loved the musicality.. probably would've listened more if it was instrumental.. and I could say the same for DT :sofa
Portnoy didn't join until nightmare and only played with them briefly. Bat Country was their OG drummer Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan who was an absolute tank on drums. City of Evil is just a powerhouse masterclass from him imo

Portnoy didn't join until nightmare and only played with them briefly. Bat Country was their OG drummer Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan who was an absolute tank on drums. City of Evil is just a powerhouse masterclass from him imo

Yeah, the drums were what kept me listening to that album more than anything else. That drum break he has in ”The Beast And The Harlot” is just declaring “I’m a f*cking badass”. Growing up, I always wondered what the next gen of Dream Theater/Vai fans were going to sound like and The Rev was really one of the first to answer that question for me. I could hear Portnoy-isms ALL over his playing so when they hit up Portnoy for Nightmare, it made perfect sense.

They isolate and talk about the drums in this tune…..and bust balls about the sample replaced kicks.

Also, Portnoy didn’t even finish that whole touring cycle for Nightmare. The quitting DT thing really threw A7X for a loop in multiple ways, one of which they simply didn’t want to be known as the band that broke up DT.

And something that has blown my mind about the hate these guys get, City Of Evil came out in 05 when NO ONE was doing guitar solos in popular music. Those all-but died with Dimebag and the NWOAHM was huge at the time, Lamb Of God, Devildriver, Killswitch, etc….none of those guys were doing solos and they all had screaming vocals which classic metal heads hated, so out comes A7X, no screaming, shredding/dual harmony guitars/amazing musicianship and they were met with a resounding “F*CK THOSE POSERS!!!!” :rofl

Yeah, the drums were what kept me listening to that album more than anything else. That drum break he has in ”The Beast And The Harlot” is just declaring “I’m a f*cking badass”. Growing up, I always wondered what the next gen of Dream Theater/Vai fans were going to sound like and The Rev was really one of the first to answer that question for me. I could hear Portnoy-isms ALL over his playing so when they hit up Portnoy for Nightmare, it made perfect sense.

They isolate and talk about the drums in this tune…..and bust balls about the sample replaced kicks.

Also, Portnoy didn’t even finish that whole touring cycle for Nightmare. The quitting DT thing really threw A7X for a loop in multiple ways, one of which they simply didn’t want to be known as the band that broke up DT.

And something that has blown my mind about the hate these guys get, City Of Evil came out in 05 when NO ONE was doing guitar solos in popular music. Those all-but died with Dimebag and the NWOAHM was huge at the time, Lamb Of God, Devildriver, Killswitch, etc….none of those guys were doing solos and they all had screaming vocals which classic metal heads hated, so out comes A7X, no screaming, shredding/dual harmony guitars/amazing musicianship and they were met with a resounding “F*CK THOSE POSERS!!!!” :rofl

They were certainly my gateway from 80s hair metal to metalcore

Ironically as much as it is heavily influenced by umm Metallica and GNR I really like Hail to the king
I think it’s a great sounding record
And the Hail riff is awesome fun

Unfortunately Avenged Sevenfold is one of those “before/after” bands for me. Nothing they’ve done since the passing of the Rev has really hit me. And it’s not because I’m a purist or anything, it just seems the writing style shifted. I can’t say for sure that his death caused the shift in writing, perhaps that was the direction they always intented to head. I’ll listen to everything they come out with, but it’s not quite the same.

Unfortunately Avenged Sevenfold is one of those “before/after” bands for me. Nothing they’ve done since the passing of the Rev has really hit me. And it’s not because I’m a purist or anything, it just seems the writing style shifted. I can’t say for sure that his death caused the shift in writing, perhaps that was the direction they always intented to head. I’ll listen to everything they come out with, but it’s not quite the same.

Hahahha it shifted on every album with him in the band, too. That’s what I love about ‘em the most. The first two albums were the only ones that were pretty much the same, after that every one was different from the previous.

I think if Rev were still around they probably would have gotten to where they are now, sooner, with the more progged out stuff. Just with more goblin sh*t. :rofl

I could never get into this band. Sounding of the 7th trumpet was -ok- to me but once they started drifting away from the "classic metalcore" sound they annoyed me more and more

Talented guys though. Except their singer, fuck that guy his voice is annoying and I'm exhausted of getting his annoying takes being presented as news articles on my facebook feed. Believe it or not I don't care about M. Shadow's opinions on Taylor Swift :rolleyes:

I could never get into this band. Sounding of the 7th trumpet was -ok- to me but once they started drifting away from the "classic metalcore" sound they annoyed me more and more

Talented guys though. Except their singer, f**k that guy his voice is annoying and I'm exhausted of getting his annoying takes being presented as news articles on my facebook feed. Believe it or not I don't care about M. Shadow's opinions on Taylor Swift :rolleyes:
Corey Taylor'd

WTF are they even thinking? That's exceedingly turdy. Throw all the shit at a DAW wall and see
what sticks. I get being different. But weird to be weird is just being weird.

Not very coherent if you ask me. And no one did. :LOL:

Go ahead and tell me they are ahead of their time with that. :rofl

Back