This May Just Be One Of The Best Guitar Solos Of All Time

One of my favorite DT songs and got to see them play this live at the first DT show I saw, one of the Home For The Holidays shows, Derek’s 2nd to last show with the band.

Can’t believe that use to be the middle section to “Burning My Soul”.

FII has some of my favorite Petrucci moments/tones. “Lines In The Sand”? GTFO….”Trial Of Tears” is just a great damn song, too. LOVE the solo in “Take Away My Pain” as well. Kind of a weird juxtaposition of the upbeat percussion stuff in that song in the context of the lyrical content, but a great song regardless and I always felt that particular solo was probably the closest we’d ever get to Petrucci just letting loose and playing from the heart due to the meaning of the song to him.

In general, I love almost every song on that album. “New Millennium” and “You Not Me” are killer tunes and I wish Myung would have stuck with the Stick for more of their songs.

When someone says "best guitar solos ever" and mentions Trail of Tears; I'm going to take the Testament way 1000/1000 over anything with LaBrie in it :rofl

@DrewJD82 you were talking about never hearing Exodus. This being a "greatest solos" thread; I'm going to leave this here. You might not dig Souza's vocal and this song is not necessarily the first song I would use to any person new to Exodus. But this tag team of solos through the entire songs is really an exercise in majestic thrash metal perfection x 2
:chef

That was pretty cool for sure.

I’m not one to judge what’s “the best” as it’s all subjective, but one of my personal favorites is from 25 or 6 to 4. Here’s an amazing cover band doing it justice - because watching it is just as fun as listening to it. I cued it up for you (sorry not sorry for the Boomer Bends, LMAO):

(even if you don’t dig the genre, you gotta love the talent and musicianship here…)

I’m not one to judge what’s “the best” as it’s all subjective, but one of my personal favorites is from 25 or 6 to 4. Here’s an amazing cover band doing it justice - because watching it is just as fun as listening to it. I cued it up for you (sorry not sorry for the Boomer Bends, LMAO):

(even if you don’t dig the genre, you gotta love the talent and musicianship here…)

I certainly got weary of Karate Kid soundtrack era of Chicago; but Terry Kathy was fiery AF as a player. Excellent solo in that song \n/

I've watched most of their videos, really amazing stuff.

My favorite solo of all time is most likely something Gilmour did, but the first thing that comes to mind faster than any particular Gilmour solo is Petrucci’s solo in “Scarred”

8:14

That solo has everything, KILLER tone, it swings and builds, gives you this idea it’s going to be more laid back and then turns around and starts rippin’, ending with a complete face melter of a sweep. That’s exactly how much sweep picking I want to hear in one song and it’s a prime example of using it as an expressive point rather than just sweeping because it’s sweeping.

It's certainly up there. Takes me for a ride every time. Close my eyes and get f*****g CHILLS!

That one is so good because it has Gilmourish flavors :D

It is hard to choose only one as the best. Even if I had to choose only from one guitarist, e.g.: Steve Rothery, it would be hard to select just one.

JP is a human cheat code.

Here's one that is a influence on DT. It's not just the guitar solo. They're all pretty much soloing at once. :

Cued up to the madness. :D

Yeah I was going to say, it’s not entirely clear which solo is the best within their own band in that section. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

That section is an absolute masterclass by three complete badasses.

Ha - I can see that. Me too for a while. But yes - Kath was crazy good. Another great gone too early…

Fucking around with a gun, making fun of someone being reckless with a gun and then killing
themselves, and as he is doing so he kills himself. Messed up!

Back