This May Just Be One Of The Best Guitar Solos Of All Time

That was the thing about Steely Dan. You got some of the best solos ever, plus you got masterpiece songwriting wrapped around them.
Agreed. IMO, the very best solos are inextricably connected to the songs they are played over. The "Third World Man" solo is (also IMO) Larry Carlton at his absolute, most evocative finest.

f*****g around with a gun, making fun of someone being reckless with a gun and then killing
themselves, and as he is doing so he kills himself. Messed up!
What? Is that really what happened? I never thought to look into how he died…

What? Is that really what happened? I never thought to look into how he died…
They had been "up" for a period of time, and Terry , who owned guns, was handling a pistol. Whomever it was that was with him was like, "Be careful with that thing." And Terry either dropped the clip out, or showed him that the clip had already been removed.

He says something like, "It's ok. See? The clip isn't in it." And then in a supposedly joking-around manner to indicate the gun was empty, he pointed it straight to his head and pulled the trigger. But there was still one in the chamber. He had ignored a very important rule of guns, possibly forgetting because of the partying, which is to treat all firearms as if they are loaded.

Tragic indeed, but totally and completely avoidable!

My favorite solo of all time is most likely something Gilmour did, but the first thing that comes to mind faster than any particular Gilmour solo is Petrucci’s solo in “Scarred”

8:14

That solo has everything, KILLER tone, it swings and builds, gives you this idea it’s going to be more laid back and then turns around and starts rippin’, ending with a complete face melter of a sweep. That’s exactly how much sweep picking I want to hear in one song and it’s a prime example of using it as an expressive point rather than just sweeping because it’s sweeping.

That's my favorite DT song period, and it's a fantastic solo.

That one is so good because it has Gilmourish flavors :D

It is hard to choose only one as the best. Even if I had to choose only from one guitarist, e.g.: Steve Rothery, it would be hard to select just one.

Rothery owns several of my favorite solos - "Easter", the song at the start of that second video, is one of the most amazing things I've ever heard live.

They had been "up" for a period of time, and Terry , who owned guns, was handling a pistol. Whomever it was that was with him was like, "Be careful with that thing." And Terry either dropped the clip out, or showed him that the clip had already been removed.

He says something like, "It's ok. See? The clip isn't in it." And then in a supposedly joking-around manner to indicate the gun was empty, he pointed it straight to his head and pulled the trigger. But there was still one in the chamber. He had ignored a very important rule of guns, possibly forgetting because of the partying, which is to treat all firearms as if they are loaded.

Wow. That is tragic!!

I may have relayed this before but when my ex and I were taking our CCW class the instructor was going over our Sig P320 and explaining all of it’s functions, this was after he went over the rules about never pointing a gun at anyone, loaded or not, unless you intend of shooting them. He hands it to my ex and as she’s inspecting everything he showed us, without her finger on the trigger kept pointing it in my direction. I grew up with guns and always knew this as rule #1, so I called her on it the first two times and she got all huffy with me, she did it a third time and I just said “Babe…” and she got more perturbed, the instructor grabs the gun out of her hand and says, “No, your husband is right and if you do it again I’m failing you. You didn’t check the barrel after I handed it to you, you can’t be certain there’s not a bullet in the chamber.

I don’t know if it’s from the lack of growing up around them and thoroughly understanding the sh*t that can go wrong or what. I know anyone who has been in a room where a gun has accidentally gone off knows quite well the sphincter puckering fright that occurs between the time the gun goes off and the time it takes to ensure everyone is ok and the rush of adrenaline and anxiety that remains after, but if someone can’t or refuses to handle a firearm properly around me, I’m out.

Back