This is what I love about playing bass

metropolis_4

Shredder
When I’m getting ready for guitar shows sometimes I have to spend more time building sounds and planning my rig than actually playing the music.

I’m playing some bass shows next week and all I have to do is bring a bass and plug it into a DI box. Done. I’ve been spending all week actually reading the charts and haven’t had to think once about gear or tones.

I have fun creating guitar tones, but sometimes it’s so refreshing to not have to worry about all that and just play

I can relate to this, quite a bit, especially since I end up relying on the DI more than a modeled tone for bass tracks. Once I start tracking bass parts I tend to get into the playing/groove aspect a lot more and really enjoy locking in with the drums in a different way than I do guitar. Especially when I actually play something that sounds like a bass player would play, which is like 10% of the time. :rofl

Cool! Have fun, Metro! :beer

I miss moving basslines in music. All this pounding the Root/Fifth out of shit is so BORING!

Voice-leading on Bass, or even letting Bass carry the melody is so refreshing to my ears. :chef

You're doing it WRONG!!!

You need to bring a P-Bass, Jazz Bass, and something active. Plus an upright and a 5 string. Oh, and don't forget the compressor, bass fuzz, and 4x10 cab for THAT tone. Sunglasses are also a must.

So get on it while you still have time!!!

I get contacted for bass gigs way more often than guitar gigs but I'm always a little self conscious about the fact that I don't actually have a bass amp or anything that could really stand in as one but the instrument is always fun if you have a good bass.

You're doing it WRONG!!!

You need to bring a P-Bass, Jazz Bass, and something active. Plus an upright and a 5 string. Oh, and don't forget the compressor, bass fuzz, and 4x10 8x10 cab for THAT tone. Sunglasses are also a must.

So get on it while you still have time!!!
Fixed.
I miss moving basslines in music.
In the 3-piece I used to play in, our bass player was a god with that! It was so much fun! He even helped take the load off me. And boy could he sing too!! He'd be playing these walking lines, while singing stuff that was totally different! He would tell me one or the other has to just be automatic.

Yeah, I secretly hated him.

Course, in my 1st band, we had a bass player who thought he was a lead guitarist. Problem was, he was neither. So I suppose it all evened out in the end.

A great bass player can make a band sound :chef

Last edited:
Or singer/bass player bought a sansamp right before or first overseas tour and exclaimed "that's me". I remember thinking "going direct, what a madman!". Took me a few years to see the light I guess :p

When I’m getting ready for guitar shows sometimes I have to spend more time building sounds and planning my rig than actually playing the music.

I’m playing some bass shows next week and all I have to do is bring a bass and plug it into a DI box. Done. I’ve been spending all week actually reading the charts and haven’t had to think once about gear or tones.

I have fun creating guitar tones, but sometimes it’s so refreshing to not have to worry about all that and just play
Right outta’ the cannon-stop
calling it “playing bass”.

From the choice words of one helluva bass guitar player:
“I’m no bloody bass player”…,
“I’m a bass guitar player mate”..
-John Paul Jones

Buddy, that’s dope af what you’re doing.
I’m also a bass guitar player with my own style.
Grease the deep cuts..not on the root
but into the root zone-emphasize with the flavor of vibe,
get outta’ town while locking the pocket
& warm the cuts that follow.
Hover over the kick drum, FIND his recoil/ghost notes on the snare/toms-THOSE ARE THE MONEY..the sycopations thrive there.
and vibe with how he drives the kick drum
into the crash symbols..get a keen feel for his
bounce after the strike…
Dave Grohl was the master of this,
-give Teen Spirit a faithful listen from the
undeniable example.

I like gettin’ groovy with a Moog &
Rhodes electric piano also man-BIGTIME.
Hell YEAH man.. -tickle that ivory, ya hear??
I can get around on Nords also-I learned the “language”.

Drums?
Oxygen coupled with the beat inside my heart.
Came very easy to me,
I spawned from a family of drummer’s.
-coupled with all the hardcore breakdance battles that my crew threw down in Detroit,
“Kid Fresh & The Fullforce Rocker’s” to be exact

Guitar?
I was MADE to love her!.. -like a miner love gold.

Vocals?
I won’t get caught “inbetween it” like Wes from
Puddle of Mudd covering one of Kurdt’s cool songs like he did,
-is about all I can tell ya dudes.

Dude.. I like it all, LET’S CREATE💥

Last edited:
Back