This is the elephant in the room for most people.

So "quirky" and "fun".

fellow-kids-no-text.gif

I had to search "quirky" at the dictionary, and I still don't know if it is bueno or malo. You, natives, have no consideration for the non-natives :rofl

Natives:
happy season 1 episode 3 GIF by National Geographic Channel
Quirky without quotes is fine. With quotes usually suggests that someone is doing a shitty job at something, but including humor or lightheartedness and calling it "quirky" when the reality is that its still a really shitty attempt at whatever they were actually trying to do, and not funny enough to be stand alone humor.

Quirky without quotes is fine. With quotes usually suggests that someone is doing a shitty job at something, but including humor or lightheartedness and calling it "quirky" when the reality is that its still a really shitty attempt at whatever they were actually trying to do, and not funny enough to be stand alone humor.
Now I get it. Thank you (y)

BTW, in case that you missed it, here is The Cool Kids [guitartricks.com] thread:

Hmm, I've never regarded quirky as being shitty, I always thought it to be strange or unusual.

Never mind, I misread your quote. I "see" what you're saying.

Last edited:
I had to search "quirky" at the dictionary, and I still don't know if it is bueno or malo. You, natives, have no consideration for the non-natives :rofl

Natives:
happy season 1 episode 3 GIF by National Geographic Channel
"Quirky" in this instance means someone was trying to be hip and with it, but the results fall in that uncanny valley where one assumes artificial intelligence - or worse, an executive committee - was involved.

:farley

Meanwhile... I'm not sure whether the "natives" gif is "quirky", or 3 to 4 posts removed from someone getting "BANT". :oops:

Hmm, I've never regarded quirky as being shitty, I always thought it to be strange or unusual.

Never mind, I misread your quote. I "see" what you're saying.
Quirky is the excuse for the thing being shitty. Quirky doesn't mean one is shitty, but if someone calls someone "quirky" with quotes, the implication is that they are bad, and try to justify a lot of what makes them bad by calling it quirky. ime.

The quotes mean they tried too hard to achieve the thing between the quotes, and failed as a direct result. See also: "fun".

Quirkiness can be comedy gold when it's applied in the right context, and in the right measure.

The quotes mean they tried too hard to achieve the thing between the quotes, and failed as a direct result.
Quirky is the excuse for the thing being shitty. Quirky doesn't mean one is shitty, but if someone calls someone "quirky" with quotes, the implication is that they are bad, and try to justify a lot of what makes them bad by calling it quirky. ime.

Yeah I knew that, but my reading comprehension failed me. :grin
I'm "normally" pretty sharp.

This. Quirky means strange or unusual, and more often not in a bad way, but not necessarily a good way. Someone who doesn't act or dress like the norm. Marches to the beat of their own drummer, so to speak. Weird, but not in a negative way.

As an example, Christopher Walken and Nicholas Cage are both very quirky.

Like some others have already pointed out---songs without technique can survive a long,
long time. Technique without songs, though? Not even sure what that is? Is that like
calisthenics without a game to use your physical abilities in? :idk

That being said, technique can make our options for writing and composing wider. I think
it is a balance and a compromise----like everything else in life. We have to weigh what we
want to get, with what we can get, and then determine how reasonable those aims are in
the context of our life's circumstances.

With my Son being o:beerlder and more independent I have more freedom to play, practice,
and work on things like technique. 10 years ago I didn't. 10 years from now I may not either.
We don't always determine the conditions of our days and nights with easy choices. Life has
its way of lifing, and it is no one's fault. It's just the nature of the game.

Like some others have already pointed out---songs without technique can survive a long,
long time. Technique without songs, though? Not even sure what that is? Is that like
calisthenics without a game to use your physical abilities in? :idk

That being said, technique can make our options for writing and composing wider. I think
it is a balance and a compromise----like everything else in life. We have to weigh what we
want to get, with what we can get, and then determine how reasonable those aims are in
the context of our life's circumstances.
Yep, those are basically the points I was trying to make too -- what is the purpose of playing if not for a song?
It is fun to just play and learn techniques, advance playing dexterity, but the end goal should be for the song imo... priority #1. The OP video can fit into a wider musical context but I feel like that point could have been touched on more.
But yeah, everyone has their own goals and time commitments so... whatevs. :rofl
Just keep on playing because we love it and try to learn or write something every time.

I've always loved learning, just for the sake of learning. That's it. It, in and of itself, gives me pleasure.

A girl in HS once asked me if I read the encyclopedia in my free time. I didn't and told her 'no.' But she apparently picked up on my having a better-than-average amount of knowledge about several things, which I suppose was true. I just like that shit.

I wasn't learning so I could _________. (Some things I was, of course, but not everything.)

And it's the same way for me on the guitar. I couldn't care less about an end goal, or putting what I learn into a song. If that's what excites you, that's great.

For me, just being able to see that this week I can do some things better than I did last week, makes me content and happy. So maybe I do actually have a goal, which is to simply please myself with my improvements as a player.

I've always loved learning, just for the sake of learning. That's it. It, in and of itself, gives me pleasure.

A girl in HS once asked me if I read the encyclopedia in my free time. I didn't and told her 'no.' But she apparently picked up on my having a better-than-average amount of knowledge about several things, which I suppose was true. I just like that shit.

I wasn't learning so I could _________. (Some things I was, of course, but not everything.)

And it's the same way for me on the guitar. I couldn't care less about an end goal, or putting what I learn into a song. If that's what excites you, that's great.

For me, just being able to see that this week I can do some things better than I did last week, makes me content and happy. So maybe I do actually have a goal, which is to simply please myself with my improvements as a player.
Heh heh heh, he said "please myself".
Awesome Beavis And Butthead GIF by Paramount+

Back