This is the elephant in the room for most people.

The older we get, the longer the excuse list gets! :rofl

The vid is good advice though. Could be applied to most any skill too.

I put in a lot of woodshedding early on for years. It does get harder and harder to be consistent with it. Nowadays it's more in brackets of time where everyday for 2 weeks I'll work on something 1-3 hrs a day. But then there's a not so consistent bracket of time. Rinse and repeat.

"I've seen so many people start with a very big idea of what they are going to accomplish in some sort of step wise manner and it almost never works out that way . . . most of us don't. I know I don't." Tim Lerch

"If you are always thinking you are on a certain level, and you will only be happy if you get to the next level, you are going to be missing the joy of making music." Tim Leach

If you don’t break up you practice and take it seriously you are guaranteed to fail or at best stagnate . Most of us get to a point where it takes serious effort to get past and never approach the problem with the method required to solve it relying on “talent” or thinking we don’t have enough of it. BS . The biggest BS in music is “talent “. It’s a myth used by many people who are just too lazy to learn it properly, methodically, throughly. If I can’t do something on guitar it is my fault because I have not spent the time well enough.

His last point: "When you're alone, allow yourself to sound terrible"

I don't remember who, I think a Classic Guitar teacher, said the opposite. Something like "even if you're alone, always play like if there is a master in front of you". e.g.: never play out of tempo, pitch, etc.

And I've seen one drawback of playing terrible when practicing. I've recently found one of the reasons why I am often sluggish with the tempo: I have learned to play by ear, playing over records (vinyls, yes, I'm that old:D). To do that, I had to first listen to the note, and then play it. That has made me used to play with certain latency, to listen what is going on even when I have already learned the notes. Now I am trying to correct that with routines of strict metronome exercises.

That was when I opened this thread:

Last edited:
His last point: "When you're alone, allow yourself to sound terrible"

I don't remember who, I think a Classic Guitar teacher, said the opposite. Something like "even if you're alone, always play like if there was a master in front of you". e.g.: never play out of tempo, pitch, etc.

And I've seen one drawback of playing terrible when practicing. I've recently found one of the reasons why I am often sluggish with the tempo: I have learned to play by ear, playing over records (vinyls, yes, I'm that old:D). To do that, I had to first listen to the note, and then play it. That has made me used to play with certain latency, to listen what is going on even when I have already learned the notes. Now I am trying to correct that with routines of strict metronome exercises.

That was when I opened this thread:
He means allow yourself to go back to the beginning with a technique . It’s ok not to have to be able to do something when you’re learning it however good the rest of your playing usually is.

He means allow yourself to go back to the beginning with a technique . It’s ok not to have to be able to do something when you’re learning it however good the rest of your playing usually is.
OK. That is what I am doing now with he metronome. That is not to sound "terrible", it is to sound "basic"

Last edited:
I (sort of) adopted Petrucci’s recommendation back in the Mid-90s:

I had to figure out how to organize my materials in such a way that I would be able to cover all three facets of guitar playing during a practice session. So I did the only thing I could think of: I set up a filing system. And you know what? It helped me so much, I still use it to this day! I heartily recommend that you create one for yourself.

Source: https://www.guitarworld.com/lessons/john-petrucci-practice-tips-part-2

I (sort of) adopted Petrucci’s recommendation back in the Mid-90s:

I had to figure out how to organize my materials in such a way that I would be able to cover all three facets of guitar playing during a practice session. So I did the only thing I could think of: I set up a filing system. And you know what? It helped me so much, I still use it to this day! I heartily recommend that you create one for yourself.

Source: https://www.guitarworld.com/lessons/john-petrucci-practice-tips-part-2

@Stone approved. :beer

Haven’t seen any “played today using headphones” gifs in a while. You good?
:grin

:rofl

I’m lucky that my wife and kids now know what to expect…

back to the future guitar GIF

I don't think we are served by shame, and being made to feel guilty about how we are or
are not progressing. Life can be an ass kicker..... especially if you have a wife and kids, or kids,
or a job, or pets, or pets, kids, a wife, and a job, or friends, kids, a wife, a mistress, and 3 jobs. :unsure:

Back