This Cool Riff Gets Me Every Time

TSJMajesty

Rock Star
I cued the video up before the lick starts to give a little context. It's the clean little diddy that starts after. There's something so melodic, yet holding you captive, wanting to resolve. And then it does. To be able to come up with stuff like this... I think it's amazing!

That's a cool one. It definitely takes restraint, from a writing standpoint, to push something like that through instead of letting it resolve once early on and making that you're thing. I'd call that a "f*ck you" riff, because the whole time you want it to resolve but Bellamy is like "f*ck you".

That's a cool one. It definitely takes restraint, from a writing standpoint, to push something like that through instead of letting it resolve once early on and making that you're thing. I'd call that a "f*ck you" riff, because the whole time you want it to resolve but Bellamy is like "f*ck you".
Listening to his live "jams", when he's being that 'kid-in-candy-store' that we all are when our shit sounds awesome, and just messing around between songs, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's the type of guy to just play whatever, then figure out a way to make it transition into something easy on the ears.

I'll sometimes noodle around, and since I don't know the fretboard very well, I'll go out of 'key', but then I'll find my way towards something else that sounds 'right', and I think, "Hey, that actually sounded cool." (But since I don't record, it's then lost forever. Lol)

Awesome riff.

Origin of Symmetry is probably the best Muse album, imho. They went downhill from there.

On the original track that guitar riff is very quite and thin.
Last year(?) they released a remixed anniversary edition that brought that part up in the mix quite a bit, like it deserved to be.

The first Muse track I ever heard was "The Groove" such a badass riff, and fun to play. My band covered it for years and everyone always assumed it was an original

Back