The Relapse Chronicles, Chapter 2: Return of The Tube Amp

Fuzz Faces are really picky about pickups. A lot of fuzz, especially germanium fuzz, doesn’t play well with active pickups.

How does the FM9 sound in the “power amp in” on the HRDLX?

Really good, actually. 4CM is noisy but expected, the amp alone is humming quite a bit from the power in my apartment. I’m also not surprised because half my apartment is running on that same circuit. :ROFLMAO: Just going in front of the amp or the PA In is great, though. I’m actually surprised to find how much I’m digging delays in front of the amp, something I never got on with before.

Had a good night with the amp tonight, my uncle is in town and he’s such a ridiculous player, I can just give him a guitar tone and once it reminds him of something he accesses the 50,000,000 songs in his head and starts playing it note for note. I’m digging the drives in front of an amp a lot more than I am when I’m dialing things in with an IR, but have no clue how much they sound like what they’re modeled after, outside the ones I own.

We’ll see. 45 days is a pretty damn good return period!

gotta love tube amps. my bedroom and recording rig. and yeah, i play at 100dB+.
bedroom amp.JPG

Really good, actually. 4CM is noisy but expected, the amp alone is humming quite a bit from the power in my apartment. I’m also not surprised because half my apartment is running on that same circuit. :ROFLMAO: Just going in front of the amp or the PA In is great, though. I’m actually surprised to find how much I’m digging delays in front of the amp, something I never got on with before.

Had a good night with the amp tonight, my uncle is in town and he’s such a ridiculous player, I can just give him a guitar tone and once it reminds him of something he accesses the 50,000,000 songs in his head and starts playing it note for note. I’m digging the drives in front of an amp a lot more than I am when I’m dialing things in with an IR, but have no clue how much they sound like what they’re modeled after, outside the ones I own.

We’ll see. 45 days is a pretty damn good return period!
Regarding hum, here’s some things I’d try.
Ebtech/Morley Hum X and/or Hum Eliminator - these are great things to have anyhow. Humbuster cables - you need two.

i was offered an insane amount of money for it. the 3534 is 90% of the way there.

You better have gotten an insane amount of money!!!

For those not knowing what we’re talking about, andergtr had THE Ecstasy Vai used to record Alien Love Secrets with (my favorite Vai tones). This amp was the sole reason I had interest in the QC, because I would have hauled ass to Cali to capture it!!!

tube amps and 4x12s are some of the best things about playing music. i want to feel my palm mutes caving in my chest.

For sure! :)

I really believe they need some air/space BEHIND them to breathe and sound their best. Backed up to a wall or corner and they tend to sound
bloated, tubby, and way too bass heavy. All that low frequency content just builds up way too much and sounds like ass.

Congrats on the amp. The Fender Hot Rod series of amps have all been great. My favorite is the Pro Junior. I’ve got a pair of them now and they are a blast in stereo.

Pro Jrs are awesome. I spent some years gigging a pair in stereo and it was a blast. Also probably less to load in/out than even my digital rigs

Back