The Mesa mystery is solved.

JiveTurkey

Goatlord
TGF Recording Artist
Just spoke with Pete at Mesa for like 20 minutes. Super knowledgeable (obviously) and very helpful. The oddball thing I noticed about my amp (big volume differences between channels) are inherent to the amp design. With all the modes and power sections; you will have to make some adjustments to run it as a multichannel amp. I am either going to try dual crunches on ch 1 and 2 or running channel 1 in a lower watt mode and channel 3 up higher. Either way; mystery solved. For now.
:bag :whistle :nails:grin

Can the channels not be balanced with just having dramatic differences with where the individual channel volumes are set without haveing to resort to using different wattages?

That said, running channel wattages differently on my roadster was the fix for my looper in the loop problem so always a helpful feature

My VII has given me issues one again. Now it is cutting out regularly with only the guitar plugged into it. I had a spare set of tubes and nothing changed. It's an internal issue.
It's going back as a return. It's been to Mesa for repair and returned and I'm not sitting around with this one any longer.

Sometimes you just get a bad one.

Badlander........all good and keeping. Never given me an issue.

My VII has given me issues one again.
It's going back as a return. It's been to Mesa for repair and returned.

Badlander, all good and keeping. Never given me an issue.
Crap! That sucks. What's it doing now?

Just spoke with Pete at Mesa for like 20 minutes. Super knowledgeable (obviously) and very helpful. The oddball thing I noticed about my amp (big volume differences between channels) are inherent to the amp design. With all the modes and power sections; you will have to make some adjustments to run it as a multichannel amp. I am either going to try dual crunches on ch 1 and 2 or running channel 1 in a lower watt mode and channel 3 up higher. Either way; mystery solved. For now.
Which amp are we talking about here?

Crap! That sucks. What's it doing now?

I'll play for about a minute and all of sudden just stuttering. It's happening on channel 2 through all three modes. This is a completely different issue from what I had previously. That was a tube issue which can happen to any amp. They replaced a couple of resistors when it was sent back.

Either way, not suffering. I have plenty of stuff to make great noise with!

Ugh that's maddening. The amp is definitely not supposed to do that. I do notice some volume variance between channels, but I notice them sometimes between modes on a channel too, but nothing terribly dramatic. I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with yours like this.

So we are on first name basis with Mesa techs now huh JT? :cop

My VII has given me issues one again. Now it is cutting out regularly with only the guitar plugged into it. I had a spare set of tubes and nothing changed. It's an internal issue.
It's going back as a return. It's been to Mesa for repair and returned and I'm not sitting around with this one any longer.

Badlander........all good and keeping. Never given me an issue.

Hey, did you return it to Brampton L&M?

There's a used rackmount one listed there now…

Yup. That would be it. I swapped out V3 before I returned it and it seems to be working fine once again.

PM me if you need any more info on it.

Thanks, I was more wondering if they'd listed it even though it's having issues.

Thanks, I was more wondering if they'd listed it even though it's having issues.

They wouldn't do that at that particular location. They are really great there. I believe it was sent to the distributor to be looked over to make sure it was a-ok.

It was working fine last I checked it so it should be good.

Last edited:
Aye mate....it surely happens.

My first, straight from the dealer. Didn't pass the apathy of UPS. The dealer was emabarrased and gave me another immediately and with a new quad of Mesa branded 6L6's (they are red-based "something or another"...Psvane or TAD? dunno, don't care).

Shit happens.

9JpOV47h.jpg

UFtoNvLh.jpg

Here's hopes on getting yours straightened out.

Back