The GT1000... is it good?

GuitarJon

Roadie
I've been on a modeler kick lately, I have most of the main ones and In order to do some fun shootouts and comparisons I feel like the GT1000 would be the last missing piece.

I have an ME90 and I was surprised at how good I got it to sound so I'm expecting the GT1000 to be a little bit better, especially in terms of the tweakability. How are those legacy amp models? I know that the new ones that aren't really based on specific amps are pretty good, but how are the ones that are modeled on real amps? Like the Orange and Uber for example?

Also, how many IRs can one load and what's the resolution?

Those info's will help to make my decision easier, or harder depending on the answers haha!

Thanks!

Last edited:
I am not a fan:rofl Some good stuff in FX and Xamp land but not sure if it isn't too long in the tooth to really be worthwhile add.

Yeah it's a tough one... I'm not super excited tbh but on the other hand, could be fun! Gotta think it over...

You'll be able to make them sound great, but the process do to so is very different to just about everything else out there. As JT said X amps are fun and you can do some really cool stuff with the FX though.

The ratio of unfounded Boss-hate is high among modeling snobs so the Boss device prevailing in a blind test up angainst any of their favorites has a higher reward for the one who produces the test. So there is one incentive the others can’t deliver…

The GT-1000 has a very distinctive midrange bump in it that anybody who has spent time with one will recognize immediately.

The ratio of unfounded Boss-hate is high among modeling snobs so the Boss device prevailing in a blind test up angainst any of their favorites has a higher reward for the one who produces the test. So there is one incentive the others can’t deliver…
i liked the x amps only in the gt1000 but not the interface one bit. I think the next gt2000 will have the gtx100 touch screen layout and be released within 6 months time

and be released within 6 months time
Will Ferrell Lol GIF

I’ve had it three times now and I always find it limiting compared to the others.

The amp models can sound good in a mix but often by themselves may be too mid pushed. I also find they have a narrow sweet spot and can easily have that digital sounding harshness.

The effects are hit or miss to me. Probably good if you like the Boss effects in mono but many of them have this tone like a cheap digital modeler. And often they don’t work well in stereo, like you may not have even basic stereo options.

Delays are a big culprit, you only get one delay block with character and most of the cool models are mono. That sucks compared to all the competition.

On the plus side the form factor is cool, it’s lighter and smaller than other units and has lots of switches and an expression pedal. But the big monochrome screen feels like another step back.

I think the ME90 is like the Headrush MX5 from a couple years back. Because of the low price you can get impressed by the sound quality and value but the full size unit really isn’t a big improvement.

".... unfounded..... " :farley
Not trying to say it is all unfounded. Every manufacturer of these devices has bad or greedy choices baked in that drag the unit down. Just pointing out there seems to be such a high level of anti-Boss sentiment that it is not supported by reality.
They have never had the best modeling of amplifiers but they have always had some excellent effects and control features that the 'better' products have failed to beat or even match after all these years.

I've been on a modeler kick lately, I have most of the main ones and In order to do some fun shootouts and comparisons I feel like the GT1000 would be the last missing piece.

I have an ME90 and I was surprised at how good I got it to sound so I'm expecting the GT1000 to be a little bit better, especially in terms of the tweakability. How are those legacy amp models? I know that the new ones that aren't really based on specific amps are pretty good, but how are the ones that are modeled on real amps? Like the Orange and Uber for example?

Also, how many IRs can one load and what's the resolution?

Those info's will help to make my decision easier, or harder depending on the answers haha!

Thanks!
The GT-1000 isn't just a little better than the ME-90. it has way more definition and detail to every amp model.

The GT-1000 isn't just a little better than the ME-90. it has way more definition and detail to every amp model.

I actually found that increased definition and detail to translate to harshness. I was running the Friedman IR-X in the loop and it's a lot brighter in that setup than with other modelers. Something to keep an eye on.

Back