The Gear Forum Home Pizza Thread

Underrated ingredient for sure!

We have a pizza chain here in Finland that does a pizza called "the hangover" and they had pickles on the pizza - like the proper Finnish/Russian style ones that are fairly salty. It's a really good ingredient that I haven't seen anywhere else on pizza for some reason.

Cool! I did it as a joke but it was pretty good! A little snap of that acidy tartness was refreshing, Kind of like Pepperocini
but without the note of spice/heat. :chef

Wow, that's what I have been trying--- a no cook sauce---and I am not sure it is the best I can do. I even
bought those San Marzano Canned Tomatoes and crushed them up by hand. How artisanal can a guy get? :LOL:

I had done a cooked sauce before that I enjoyed a bit better, but I can't remember what it was. Really need
to go back to the Lab on the Sauce front.

You have to drain a lot of water off of the canned tomatoes. Don’t know if you did that?

Hm, pickles on pizza - should try that, really. It actually crossed my mind before already (when there was barely any stuff suitable for toppings in the fridge), but apparently it seemed too absurd. But I wouldn't like them all cold, would possibly have to put them on for the last baking minute (or less).

Hm, pickles on pizza - should try that, really. It actually crossed my mind before already (when there was barely any stuff suitable for toppings in the fridge), but apparently it seemed too absurd. But I wouldn't like them all cold, would possibly have to put them on for the last baking minute (or less).

Yeah, I put them on towards the end... and it was with Brisket and Red Onion meat so all around an experiment.

Still hard for me to think a basic Sauce, Cheese, Single Meat Pie is hard to beat. Fun to experiment now and then.

Your Pies look outstanding! :chef

I overloaded my Pie the other night and so it stuck to the Peel as I was trying to put it on the Stone in
the Oven. We all know how this works out. I had a mess. Shit burning. Cheese falling into the bottom
of the Oven setting off every smoke alarm in the house. I threw some shit. Burnt a finger. Cussed like
a sailor who has been out to Sea too damn long.

Then I still ate it. It was ugly delicious. :lol

I made a really epic pizza the day after christmas using my pops dough and sauce recipes/methods

But I had also been drinking a loooot Jamo all day and somehow overlooked putting on a pan before sticking it in the oven... :facepalm

I overloaded my Pie the other night and so it stuck to the Peel as I was trying to put it on the Stone in
the Oven. We all know how this works out. I had a mess. s**t burning. Cheese falling into the bottom
of the Oven setting off every smoke alarm in the house. I threw some s**t. Burnt a finger. Cussed like
a sailor who has been out to Sea too damn long.

Now *that* reads like a familiar story (especially the smoke alarm and burnt finger details...). Didn't happen to me for a looong time already, though, fingers crossed.

Now *that* reads like a familiar story (especially the smoke alarm and burnt finger details...). Didn't happen to me for a looong time already, though, fingers crossed.

Sounds like you are overdue for a visit from the Pizza Gods. Maybe offer them a sacrifice before you
make your next Pie. :LOL:

Nothing fancy. Just a standard Ham and Pepperoni. :chef

2 to 3 day bulk ferment on the dough has been a game changer. Nothing but pillows in
that crust. :love

20230404_221231.jpg

I wonder if the best trick is to not hydrate it so much and add more flour.

Usually, if you want any kind of fluffyness, no. You want as much water as possible in the dough in that case. IMO getting there strongly depends on two things:

1) Type of flour. There's so much differences, even just between what is seemingly the same wheat flour. Lotsa gluten vs. less and milling grade obviously in the first place.

2) Amount of time you're willing to invest. I tried a very similar technique as the one suggested in @jellodog's video - and man, is it annoying after a while. Stickiness *always* only goes away when you've already lost your nerves, seems to be a rule. Hence I have given up most of the time, just adding flour instead. It does pay off not to give up, though, especially in case you religiously follow the "top must never been harmed" rule.

Obviously, the question still is how much of a difference it makes with the overall experience. I for one know that having a hotter oven would especially improve my pizzas by 218.75%, whereas a wetter dough treated more carefully might only be good for another 0.72%.

Faaaawk, I’ve been on a grilled chicken salad diet for the last couple of weeks because I went a little crazy the two weeks prior and just ate nothing but burgers, pizza and whatever junk I felt like, I gained 10lbs from that and I’m hellbent on staying under 200 as I roll into my 40’s because dat sh*t don’t come off as easy as it used to….

but I’m getting a f*cking pizza tonight.

I generally agree with Sasha that "you want as much water as possible". A generous level of hydration is important for both pizza and bread dough (I make both), and that usually means a level of stickiness is unavoidable; which is why it's probably better to develop the skills to deal with sticky dough instead of avoiding sticky dough.

Sounds (and looks) like you've gotten it about right anyway @la szum !

Last edited:
Back