The Fractal FM3 Sucks (Kind of)

I can see both sides of this. On one hand, using my QC makes the FM series feel absolutely ancient and like something from a bygone era. On the other, when I had the FM3 and 9, I did nothing but program on the actual devices and got very efficient, even preferred it to the editor (real knobs, buttons), was not a big deal.

For example..... Helix.... you can see all your blocks at once. No special view needed. Fractal.... if you're in 'normal' zoom then you need to page around to see all your blocks. If you're in 'zoomed out' view, then you can see them all, but it isn't very clear what is what.

That is just a minor observation of why Helix would be easier to use in the heat of the moment, versus the FM3/FM9/Axe III.

There's plenty of other examples. And they all culminate in experential differences.

And you can draw the same comparisons to an amp, a pedal, a speaker, what have you.

There are certainly reasons why people prefer one thing over another.

Another:

Helix... Delete all of the blocks from your parallel path... the parallel path is removed automatically. Not so on Fractal.

I have had my FM3 for about 3 weeks and I am getting more comfortable with it. But there are times I still feel lost. Luckily there is plenty of content on YouTube. That has really been the best resource for me.

But even if I am confused about how to do things. The FM3 sounds amazing. I have tried Helix, Headrush, and boss platforms and eventually I find issues with something but FM3 is so complete. Everything sounds amazing. I wish I bought one sooner.

I have had my FM3 for about 3 weeks and I am getting more comfortable with it. But there are times I still feel lost. Luckily there is plenty of content on YouTube. That has really been the best resource for me.

But even if I am confused about how to do things. The FM3 sounds amazing. I have tried Helix, Headrush, and boss platforms and eventually I find issues with something but FM3 is so complete. Everything sounds amazing. I wish I bought one sooner.

What worked for me when I first bought my FM3 was using the computer editor exclusively until I was pretty familiar with the functions and parameters. That's half the battle. From there, it was simply a matter of learning how to access what I needed from the front panel. If you're starting cold and trying to learn to use it from the front panel, you have twice as much to learn at once.

If I'm working on presets for songs my band is doing, I'll sit at the desk and use the editor and my studio monitors (which translate well to the monitors I use with the band). If I'm noodling around in the living room, I run the FM9 into a Friedman ASC12 that stays out there and all tweaking is done from the front panel (though usually I spend more time playing than tweaking if I'm in couch potato mode).

World News GIF by MOODMAN

So let me preface this by saying I’m normally a Kemper or valve amp guy but in a quest to minimise the footprint of my rig I recently got hold of an FM3 and FC6.

First things first, it sounds amazing. Genuinely some of the best modelling I’ve heard and the effects are something else and I haven’t really deep dived yet.

But f##k me, this thing is a NIGHTMARE to use. Yes the editor is good but anything else, forget it. Took it to rehearsal today and got some cool tones but trying to locate a certain preset, set a solo boost, change the chorus tone, add more mix to the delay etc was just a massive PITA.

I know it’s been said before but it really brought home how something so awesome can be dragged down by the UI.

And it absolutely doesn’t matter if you use Axe Edit, but for live use and live creativity it’s just bad, and that’s a real shame.

I’m sure there will be a certain amount of flaming for this but honestly, I want to play guitar not program my dads old Beta Max player. Sorry not sorry.

So you're saying its simple, easy and intuitive to use on the unit itself without any need to even bother with the piece of cake Editor .... (?) .... ;)

So you're saying its simple, easy and intuitive to use on the unit itself without any need to even bother with the piece of cake Editor .... (?) .... ;)

Intuitive, as in "I didn't RTFM but I can figure out what I need to get going right now," or intuitive as in "I did my homework and RTFM first, which really helped everything make sense..."

The point is it’s hard to use compared to other modelers. That doesn’t mean it needs a touch screen. The Helix is great without a touch screen. But a mobile app, connecting with or without a cable, might be the way to solve this problem.
Fracpad exists but it can be troublesome to connect wirelessly. It doesn't really solve the problem, but might be a worthwhile option for live editing if you don't want to bring a laptop. The lack of tactile feedback is still an issue. Worth a try. For iOS the demo version is available from the app store.

The Fractal front panel layout is just poor, with cramped knobs, navigation buttons far apart and the software side being inconsistent in function and having tons of views to disorient you at every turn.

Helix requires a lot of paging but has basically only a couple of different views and the capacitive switches make jumping blocks super easy. For me Fractal is 90% Axe-Edit while Helix Floor was 90% onboard UI.

My advice for front panel editing is to learn the button shortcuts and make use of the performance view. With Fractal putting next to no effort in small improvements to the current UI, that's the best you can do if you love the sounds and features like many here do.

Last edited:
What worked for me when I first bought my FM3 was using the computer editor exclusively until I was pretty familiar with the functions and parameters. That's half the battle. From there, it was simply a matter of learning how to access what I needed from the front panel. If you're starting cold and trying to learn to use it from the front panel, you have twice as much to learn at once.

I did the opposite. Used nothing but the front panel for the first three months or so that I owned it. Becomes second nature.

Back