The Fractal FM3 Sucks (Kind of)

So let me preface this by saying I’m normally a Kemper or valve amp guy but in a quest to minimise the footprint of my rig I recently got hold of an FM3 and FC6.

First things first, it sounds amazing. Genuinely some of the best modelling I’ve heard and the effects are something else and I haven’t really deep dived yet.

But f##k me, this thing is a NIGHTMARE to use. Yes the editor is good but anything else, forget it. Took it to rehearsal today and got some cool tones but trying to locate a certain preset, set a solo boost, change the chorus tone, add more mix to the delay etc was just a massive PITA.

I know it’s been said before but it really brought home how something so awesome can be dragged down by the UI.

And it absolutely doesn’t matter if you use Axe Edit, but for live use and live creativity it’s just bad, and that’s a real shame.

I’m sure there will be a certain amount of flaming for this but honestly, I want to play guitar not program my dads old Beta Max player. Sorry not sorry.

This is another one of those that really doesn't need to be repeated too often. Hands down the best PC editor of them all but here in 2024 it's also the worst on-board UI.

Last edited:
Oh Boy High Quality GIF

So let me preface this by saying I’m normally a Kemper or valve amp guy but in a quest to minimise the footprint of my rig I recently got hold of an FM3 and FC6.

First things first, it sounds amazing. Genuinely some of the best modelling I’ve heard and the effects are something else and I haven’t really deep dived yet.

But f##k me, this thing is a NIGHTMARE to use. Yes the editor is good but anything else, forget it. Took it to rehearsal today and got some cool tones but trying to locate a certain preset, set a solo boost, change the chorus tone, add more mix to the delay etc was just a massive PITA.

I know it’s been said before but it really brought home how something so awesome can be dragged down by the UI.

And it absolutely doesn’t matter if you use Axe Edit, but for live use and live creativity it’s just bad, and that’s a real shame.

I’m sure there will be a certain amount of flaming for this but honestly, I want to play guitar not program my dads old Beta Max player. Sorry not sorry.
Clearly you are a Helix candidate.

Pretty much having this conversation in the other thread too! :rofl

But I agree with you to a large degree. Not even specifically about the Fractal devices. But multi's in general.

Menus cascaded with menus and more menus and more options..... not really inspiring nor fun.

This isn't a simple UX problem to solve.

Pretty much having this conversation in the other thread too! :rofl

But I agree with you to a large degree. Not even specifically about the Fractal devices. But multi's in general.

Menus cascaded with menus and more menus and more options..... not really inspiring nor fun.

This isn't a simple UX problem to solve.

I saw that, and I totally get what you mean. I don’t even really use anything too crazy, I think a big sky, boss delay, CE-2 and and an octave pedal would probably do me 😂

Obviously you've never had to program a rack mount multi effects unit? Fractal is way easier.

Take a few days and actually learn how to use the hardware. It's really not that hard, no matter how many people like to claim contrary...

Quoted for truth. I have been using Fractal floor units with my band for the past two years (first an FM3, currently an FM9).

There is a learning curve, this is NOT an instant gratification device, but it doesn’t take long at all to learn your way around the front panel.

If you want caveman simple, get a Twin Reverb and a Tube Screamer.

Obviously you've never had to program a rack mount multi effects unit? Fractal is way easier.

Take a few days and actually learn how to use the hardware. It's really not that hard, no matter how many people like to claim contrary...

The point is it’s hard to use compared to other modelers. That doesn’t mean it needs a touch screen. The Helix is great without a touch screen. But a mobile app, connecting with or without a cable, might be the way to solve this problem.

The point is it’s hard to use compared to other modelers. That doesn’t mean it needs a touch screen. The Helix is great without a touch screen. But a mobile app, connecting with or without a cable, might be the way to solve this problem.

I have a Helix, a Kemper, a GT-1000, and a GSP1101. And an Axe-FX 3. I didn’t find the Fractal that much more difficult to figure out than any of the other units, but there is a shit ton more that the user can access and tweak.

get the fender tmp...if you want simple, As i said before if fractal hired some people to redo the gui to something uch easier on unit we wouldnt have these complaints

Back