The FM3 is too big

I only tried the QC once and instantly knew the distance of switches was an incredibly design flaw.

Not to make this into a QC thread :D but it depends on your footsize and footwear really. I actually preferred having all those switches than the FM's limited 3. Now I have a midi baby to accompany the FM3 for the extra things

but it depends on your footsize and footwear really.

Of course it does. But don't you think a modeler should be fine with all more or less "normal" sizes? I've got german size 46 feet (like 12.5 US), these days almost common among adults. And even if it only was 45/12, the QC switches would still be too close to each other, especially when wearing sneakers, which typically are somewhat wider, too. Or do they advertise the QC as the "gentleman's modeler", hence for folks never wearing sneakers?

I've got german size 46 feet (like 12.5 US)
Invasion Of The Body Snatchers Someone GIF

And the circle is complete.
Having been involved in research on unexpected electronic behaviors of nanoscale materials in the early-ish days of the "nanotech!" boom, and now having to frequently fight with people about how adding "nano" as a prefix to a random word turned it from one with a definite meaning to one that no longer has a clearly defined scope, I get a little touchy about the use of "nano" to describe something best measured in centi-, or millimeters. :beer

I agree. I think the FM3 is way too big to be considered a pedalboard device.

One thing Fractal (and Kemper) both lack is a device that can be integrated into a pedalboard like the HX Stomp.

The size of the AxeFX III and FM9 work for me, but the FM3 is too big for what it’s supposed to be

Some of this is because Fractal makes gear with pros in mind, not necessarily bar gigs down the street, it seems to me.

For example, the FM9 is a bit big for my liking, but when Alex Lifeson uses it on a huge stadium stage it looks normal, even small.

Whereas with me gigging at the local pool hall, it's kind of big when you're cramming a PA system and drums between pool tables and a big screen TV… :grin

So in the Fractal world of big stages and big stars, the FM3 probably seems downright tiny.

One thing Fractal (and Kemper) both lack is a device that can be integrated into a pedalboard like the HX Stomp.

Defenitely. Most other companies have such devices in one way or the other - either as dedicated FX devices or smaller footprint all-in-one modelers. For Kemper it might not be *that* relevant as the thing only exists as a "core tone" item (no sane person would buy a KPA just as an FX unit) that you build your rig around, but the FAS offerings can as well just work as luxurious FX-only devices (and fwiw, I'm using my Stomp as a delay/reverb-only device, too), but you may not be willing to waste so much space for such a thing (it's eating up more than twice the board estate than a Stomp).

Every guitarist should have at least one HX Stomp

They should be issued to new guitarists when they buy their first guitar

Tbh, these days I'd likely get a GT-1000 Core instead (if it wasn't for HX Native, which is making some things easier). Not as comfortable to use as an FX-only device, though.

Back