The DID YOU KNOW? thread

Did you know honey has no expiration date?
Sort of. It doesn't expire, it just gets kind of weird and hard, and then when you try a half dozen things you found on the internet that are supposed to help (like to running the container under hot water for an incredibly long time) and those don't work, you throw it directly into the trash and say, "What the fuck do I really need honey for, anyway?" That's the actual expiration date.

Educate Yourself Shooting Star GIF

Expiration dates are for idiots and to protect the food producers from being sued from said idiots.

Use your eyes and nose! That said…

Did you know that a good egg will sink in water, but a bad or “expired” egg will float?

Back when I was a dairyman I had so many fucking eggs. Obviously cant be delivered to stores after the date, so there was always "expired" eggs to bring home. Shit would be good for months past that date

Expiration dates are for idiots.

I got a can of Busch's baked beans that's gotta be two years past the expiration date.
Reminds me, I gotta buy some franks!

Did you know you don't have to refrigerate ketchup after it's been opened?
A million roadside diners leaving it out all day proves it.

Tastes better at room temp anyway and it doesn't immediately chill whatever you put it on!

Last edited:
Speaking of eggs, did you know that you can keep eggs at room temperature and they won't spoil?

Farm fresh eggs, that is - not the bleached white store bought eggs. Eggs laid by chickens that you can buy direct (and cut out the middle man grocery).

They have a "coating" called a "bloom" that keeps the egg airtight:

Store bought eggs are washed, removing the bloom, thus necessitating refrigeration.

How do I know this? I eat farm fresh eggs because we have lots of chicken owners around who sell their eggs.

I think they taste better than store bought, too. BAWK!

Back when I was a dairyman I had so many fucking eggs. Obviously cant be delivered to stores after the date, so there was always "expired" eggs to bring home. Shit would be good for months past that date
Yep. I’ve been eating eggs for at least a month past their expiration date for years. Just use the float test.

However, fresh eggs will perform differently than older eggs in instances such as whipping. It’s easier to achieve stiff peaks when whipping a fresh egg white.

Did you know that if I tell you “All we can do is let the day pass and wait for tomorrow” and you then give my number to 3 different people and tell them to call/text me asking for updates every 30 minutes, I will lose my fucking mind and find the most professional way I can of telling you you’re an idiot and desperately need to fuck off?

And South Florida DOES have seasons- Season 1 - Fucking Hot, Season 2- Fucking Hotter.

And South Florida DOES have seasons- Season 1 - Fucking Hot, Season 2- Fucking Hotter.

Sounds like the summer we lived in Tempe, AZ. First thing we did moving in on 4/1 was turn on the AC.
Stayed on 24/7 until we left four months later. 113 degrees at 1:00am one night was the peak of the ridiculousness.

The extreme dryness in our apt killed an Ovation acoustic I stupidly left hanging on a wall.

Last edited:
Sounds like the summer we lived in Tempe, AZ. First thing we did moving in on 4/1 was turn on the AC.
Stayed on 24/7 until we left four months later. 113 degrees at 1:00am one night was the peak of ridiculous.

The extreme dryness in our apt killed an Ovation acoustic I stupidly left hanging on a wall.

There used to be a 2-week period I could shut my AC off entirely, but that hasn’t happened for the last 3 years. We had 1-2 days we dropped down to the 50’s but by 11AM is back up over 80.

Our seasonal change mostly affects night time, it’ll drop down to the 40’s at night and still hit the 80’s during the day. I figured out how to ‘swing’ the temperature of a building up or down by making adjustments on the chiller’s schedule. Created huge savings in water/electrical bills for the tenants, but lordy, it got 1.4 degrees warmer in one area of their suite today and there was hell to pay for it!

There used to be a 2-week period I could shut my AC off entirely, but that hasn’t happened for the last 3 years. We had 1-2 days we dropped down to the 50’s but by 11AM is back up over 80.

Our seasonal change mostly affects night time, it’ll drop down to the 40’s at night and still hit the 80’s during the day. I figured out how to ‘swing’ the temperature of a building up or down by making adjustments on the chiller’s schedule. Created huge savings in water/electrical bills for the tenants, but lordy, it got 1.4 degrees warmer in one area of their suite today and there was hell to pay for it!
I am just far enough North of you that I still have had a decent number of days where I have been able to open the windows and air the place out. I have even had some that were downright cold to me.

I go up to a number of motorcycle events throughout the year. I spend a decent amount of time in the Ocala area. It is amazing how much colder it is up there compared to where I live. It is a 3.5 hour drive from my house to get there and the weather feels quite a bit different.

Back