The best Marshall tone ever

I just like his Ibanez more than the EBMM. Ibanez probably still hasn’t fully recovered from flubbing that deal long ago. The camo P4 had the best satin neck Ive ever played.

But I seem to prefer old vs new with gear. And more simple. Great segue back to Marshalls.

My first Marshall was a 1986 JCM 800 2205 I bought for $250 used. I owned a Mesa Mark IV at the time (which I compared to everything else in the store I worked at and it was that or the Tremoverb). With all the tweaking, I got it sounding as good or better than everything else. It there was a lot to tweak. Had it for 6-7 years when I got the JCM. Plugged that in and it was instant f’n great tone, no knob twiddling required.

I was pretty torn. I wound up selling both and buying a Mark IIC+ because Petrucci phase. Loved it sold it later for big profit yada yada yada… many amps and 2 JCM 800s later, now I have an old Plexi and I couldn’t be happier with it. Had it since 2012.

There’s a reason why just about every player you can think of has or has had a Marshall, or an amp based on one.

Back