The band from hell?

LScottK

Groupie
In 2012 I developed a problem in my fretting hand. The pain was so bad that I couldn't practice for more than 10 - 15 minutes. I more or less stopped playing until I finally found a doctor who suggested hand surgery. I tried everything else, so I figured, what the hell. He thought it was 70 -80 percent likely to resolve the problem. So in 2019 I finally got the surgery (right as the pandemic started). 5 years later now, my hand is about 80 percent back to where it used to be and I can practice and play mostly without pain. So I decided to join a band. I joined band mix and found a contender that practices about 25 minutes from my house. They have gigs and a killer singer who nails classics like White Rabbit (she sounds just like Grace Slick) and Piece of My Heart (she also does an amazing job singing like Janis Joplin). Hot dog!

I go for an audition and they like my playing. And they invite my to join, but there's a catch. They already have a lead guitarist. They just want me to stand in for him because he's in two other bands and they have a big upcoming gig (June 29th) that he can't play at. They ask me to learn 40 songs for this gig, with no promises about future gigs. BUT, there's a chance that the other guitarist will leave the band because he's over-committed, so I might ACTUALLY become a full member of the band (I'm saying this with sarcasm). I've been in bands for decades (I'm 63) so I know how this goes. But once again, I figure what the hell. I'm not playing in another band right now. I live in a smaller town about an hour South of Seattle, so finding a band is not so easy, unless I want to brave traffic and long drives.

So I go to practice. It's kind of a mess. There are 7 members, excluding me. Two of them are nice people, but not skilled musicians. I am being asked to fit in with a cacophony with no immediate guidance about how the band leader wants me to fit in to their unique arrangements of classic songs. Though I'm designated as "Lead Guitarist" I don't have anything more than a head nod to indicate when they want me to play a ripping lead. And, sometimes the other lead guitarist is there, so it's unclear when I'm supposed to play vs when the other guy is supposed to play. He's a really nice guy, so there isn't any competition. Just a lack of clarity. I figure, what the hell, I'm game for a challenge. But I'm also feeling a fair amount of pressure. The upcoming June 29th gig is a big one for the band. They only practice once a week, so we only have 5 - 6 practices before the gig. At least they have charts, though several of them are in a different key than they play the song, and about 50% don't accurately reflect the arrangement that they actually play. But I pride myself on my ability to adapt. I can figure this out, I tell myself.

Then last Wednesday, we just complete practice, and the keyboard player (one of the lessor skilled musicians of the bunch), right in front of me, starts talking about my not attending practice when the other lead guitarist is present. She spoke as if I wasn't even in the room. I try to speak up - "if you don't let me go to practice then I will not be able to learn your arrangements, and we only have 5 or 6 practices before the gig, and you want me to miss half of them?" Nobody listens. It's as if I'm invisible.

So they want me to learn 40 songs (I have previously played about 5 of the songs, but their arrangements are unique) for one gig, I'll only be asked to play when the other guy can't make it, oh, and we won't have you come to practice when the other guy is there. And I can't count on the charts to be accurate. Plus, we don't value you or your contributions enough to see how you feel about playing an important gig with 3 practices under your belt. Fuck

To top it off, the keyboardist is roughly my age and unattached. She has other members of the band periodically do a "honey list" - move things, lift things. She suggests that I get to help too. Lucky me . . . The worst of it is that she's kind of a nice lady, just oblivious to boundaries and professionalism.

So I wrote the band an email. It was one of those email that I should have waited 24 hours to send, because I was pissed, and didn't put my best foot forward, at least when it comes to behaving professionally. There isn't enough time for them to find someone else for the June 29th gig, and I am the sort of person who believes that I should keep my word. I promised that I would play June 29th, so dammit, I'll play, come hell or high water.

Then yesterday, I got together with the band leader to go over songs. He starts micromanaging my playing, asking me to play parts precisely on tunes that I've never played before, and then getting on my shit when I don't make a chord change cleanly, or when I lose the rhythm (it was just the two of us, not bass or drums), or I don't play a part properly that isn't even on the chart. He also talks to me like I'm a child because I'm jumping around on my FM9 trying to find patches that fit what he wants. And some of my levels are off because I haven't properly leveled them. But I fancy that I'm a "professional", so I put up with it and pretend it doesn't bother me. But inside, I'm really hating this whole fucking thing. And, to top it off, I can tell that he's drunk or stoned, or both (at 3pm). And the direction that he is giving me is inconsistent. And he doesn't even realize it. One minute he wants me to just play the top 3 notes of a chord, then next it's the top 4 notes of the chord. I'm just gritting my teeth.

What a fucking mess . . . I'm not sure what the lesson is here. But I know that I chose to be in the situation. If only I had a time machine so I could go back and decline the "opportunity". Or I lacked a conscience so I could just fire them and move on. I'm not really looking for advice here. I just want to bitch and moan, and hear about other folks' experiences with their "band from hell".

[I made so small edits to correct grammer and typos]

Last edited:
Meh. Life's short and music is my hobby. I'd bail. If I'm not having fun it's turning in to unpaid work and I'm out. I've got plenty of work in my life. Work I get paid handsomely for. I don't do anti-fun things for free.

Having you bail at the last minute because they're idiots might help send a message to them. Or it won't. But either way, you won't be doing work for free and having anti-fun at your hobby.

Last edited:
I'm a pretty tolerant, team player kinda guy for the most part, but you are way more patient than I would be in the situation you just laid out. That's all I'll say about that. :grin

But yeah, band drama and the dynamics involved can be an exhausting venture. I've been out of it for some years now and part of me is ok with that lol. It can take the joy out of music unless you really are with a bunch of great people that have the same goals.

Meh. Life's short and music is my hobby. I'd bail. If I'm not having fun it's turning in to unpaid work I'm out. I've got plenty of work in my life. Work I get paid handsomely for. I don't do anti-fun things for free.

Having you bail at the last minute because they're idiots might help send a message to them. Or it won't. But either way, you won't be doing work for free and having anti-fun at your hobby.
I am going to get paid, not that it really matters. After my email, the leader could tell I had one foot out the door. He said that I would be paid well, as an enticement to keep me going. They need someone badly . . .

And I get your point. Why put up with the mess . . ?

I'm a pretty tolerant, team player kinda guy for the most part, but you are way more patient than I would be in the situation you just laid out. That's all I'll say about that. :grin

But yeah, band drama and the dynamics involved can be an exhausting venture. I've been out of it for some years now and part of me is ok with that lol. It can take the joy out of music unless you really are with a bunch of great people that have the same goals.
Yeah, the joy of it matters. I played in a band in Portland in the 1990s. The musicianship was rough at times, but we had a great time. I always thought of that band as a V8 that only ran on 5 cylinders. We sounded good enough, but sometimes there were some train wrecks. And I didn't really care. There was a sense of camaraderie that made it okay.

I should add that I after getting my email, I am now going to be at every practice. At least there's that . . .

The singer, drummer and bass player are actually really good. The band leader, who also plays guitar (primarily rhythm), is also pretty good. It's just the totality of the scene. As I told my wife, "I'm not a fan"

There was a sense of camaraderie that made it okay.
And that sounds like what you're more interested in based on your posts, it's not about the money. It's about your love of music and playing live with people that feel the same, I'm guessing?

I am going to get paid, not that it really matters. After my email, the leader could tell I had one foot out the door. He said that I would be paid well, as an enticement to keep me going. They need someone badly . . .

And I get your point. Why put up with the mess . . ?
Ah, well then. Yea, I'd see out my commitment and bounce after that then.

And that sounds like what you're more interested in based on your posts, it's not about the money. It's about your love of music and playing live with people that feel the same, I'm guessing?
Yes, indeed. At this point in my life, my rock star dreams aren't part of the plan. I just want to hang with some good folks who can play and have a good time. I had a bad feeling about the situation before I even knew what I was getting into. It's one of those things were I didn't listen to my gut.

Yes, indeed. At this point in my life, my rock star dreams aren't part of the plan. I just want to hang with some good folks who can play and have a good time. I had a bad feeling about the situation before I even knew what I was getting into. It's one of those things were I didn't listen to my gut.
Well it sounds like you got it sorted out. (y)
I agree with fulfilling the first gig though, no point leaving on bad note.

Long story short:

You auditioned for the "bitch" position, and the clues were beyond obvious.

Sometimes, our need to "have something" blinds us to the obvious ugly truth.

If you want it done right, do it yourself - start your own band, because chuckleheads abound.

Don't play by anybody else's rules but your own.

This gif should be your entire next email.
See Ya Reaction GIF by Travis

Yeah fuck that. I wouldn't try to keep my word if the other people don't give you the chance to practice. You already tried your best to accommodate them, but you don't owe them anything. They've put themselves into this situation with a guitarist who can't commit, and it's up to them not auditioning multiple people to fill his place to find a good fit.

At the gig, you can bet they will get pissy because they want to play that one song that you didn't have time to learn, or they pick something everyone but you knows. If there is any money involved with the gig, I would bet you will see none of it either.

You are a "plan B" and treated as disposable. They are dangling the "you might get in the band" carrot. But if the other lead guitarist can make it at the last minute, you will be just left on the sidelines.

Them telling you not to come to practice when the other guitarist is there is your golden ticket out of this. Considering that they are treating you like shit, I'd email them and tell them since you aren't allowed to practice enough you can't do the gig.
I've done a few gigs that totally weren't worth the time spent preparing. Every time I was treated like I was saving the day for them, and I did my best every time.
If they had treated me like disposable trash, I would have bailed with no guilt. Fuck them.

Wow. I thought I had dodged a huge bullet with the last cover band I did a brief stint with! Find a bomb shelter @LScottK

I work with children all day and get paid for it. They act like children and have no excuses for it and that's okay. They're cute and they eventually learn.

When I work with adults I expect them to act like adults, money or not. When they act like children and have no excuses for it, it's not okay, and I will be quick to call out the bullshit - in an adult way of course.

I have all the patience in the world for a child having a tantrum, pissing in his pants, crying so much that he vomits, swinging his limbs and hitting everyone around him.

I have zero patience for an adult who wants to pretend that I'm not in the room while they're speaking to me or about me.

Wow. I thought I had dodged a huge bullet with the last cover band I did a brief stint with! Find a bomb shelter @LScottK

I work with children all day and get paid for it. They act like children and have no excuses for it and that's okay. They're cute and they eventually learn.

When I work with adults I expect them to act like adults, money or not. When they act like children and have no excuses for it, it's not okay, and I will be quick to call out the bullshit - in an adult way of course.

I have all the patience in the world for a child having a tantrum, pissing in his pants, crying so much that he vomits, swinging his limbs and hitting everyone around him.

I have zero patience for an adult who wants to pretend that I'm not in the room while they're speaking to me or about me.
Yeah, I agree with you. Not everyone in the band told me they didn't want me to come. I just wasn't included in the conversation about it, even though I was in the room. And that's definitely not okay. But I agree with you about dealing with children. Not everyone there is a douche. I don't even think the lady who suggested I not come to practices is a douche. She's just inexperienced and had a dumb idea. Practices are at her house in her living room and it's cramped. They have 7 or 8 folks setup in a small room. She wanted to make more room by reducing the number of musicians in the room. There is still a level of professional and awareness that comes with experience. She just doesn't have that. Not wanting to make excuses for dumb ass behavior. Just trying to be accurate with regards to what happened.

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback. I'm going to hang this up for a while and go have fun. My wife wants to go to a rock shop to look for a piece of obsidian. So, after 4 hours of helping my 97 year old grandfather resolve a computer problem, I'm stepping away to relax.

Back