Tales from.. ..The StrapLab!

We can now continue the Paisley Royale saga, but first some new straps!

New in the Reverb store Shock & Awe #97 - ready to be lined with the lining of your choice. Most popular is synthetic sheep's wool, but I'll do leather, suede or fabric too, and pad it to your liking. 44-58", individually badged and numbered in series.

YnwXOoqM_o.jpg

Also, "Circling Ravens" generally means bad news where I live. But for you, it might have meant a world of good news for your shoulder and onstage comfort! Black leather nose and tail, synthetic soft leatherette body, with this blue, black and silver Celtic pattern. 3" wide 44-60" Stop lookin' all clowny onstage with your shorty hi-riding strap you bought from the store. I know it bugs ya even on that last loop!

Unfortunately "Ravens" sold off in minutes after listing, which demonstrates why many keep my store on "watch"

Gk9JonmF_o.jpg

Reverb Feedback meter ticked up one to 993. Who's gonna be 1,001?

Ok.. back to Royale....
Once I got the belly cut done, time to finish the back. At first I tried to pretend drawing some busy grain on it.

N1ukWKPy_o.jpg

Then my fail staining over that mess. Why'd I even?
LOL Some crazy stuff I try.

ZzumRq33_o.jpg

Cleared all that garbage off.
Started again, this time with an arousing custom colour I mixed up from leather dyes. Named it ..."Engorged."

Mz45PD0b_o.jpg

Here it was all-buttoned up
Gold neckplate just pops! There was an intentional mix of gold and nickel elements in the design.

eEqnu2ZC_o.jpg

Once together, and dialed in... plays rather nice. More stones = moar tones! I was prepared for it to be wall art. It is absolutely not. Sports sustain and balls that defy it's rather feminine appearance

QdDVaLJD_o.jpg

lTsXDjOG_o.jpg

8njq7F2G_o.jpg

Note Well-Hung Pro-Pins are installed. Jumbo strap buttons of my own design below on the left compared to what I view as stock junk out there. Actually if you look close the only thing I think mushroom buttons are good for is a switch tip!

2L9RkH7E_o.jpg

Mechanical straplock gadget killers, IMO. Super simple, silent, secure and sexy too! In black, gold and nickel.

tCbbGAJt_o.jpg

leKRQxom_o.jpg

Outside in direct sun, the badassled top of the Paisley Royale reflects a crazy multi-coloured pattern of light on the shady side of my house from about 50 feet away. A sort of refracted rainbowy effect.

bLi5BArX_o.jpg

People ask me if all those stones are rough on the arm or hand... frankly not realy, They do level each other out. You can feel it a little. But I don't think this is a giggers' gat to be played for an hour at a time anyway. It's more for those special moments, a showpiece kind of thing.

I paired it with my padded leopard hair floating pad strap for max pimp effect, works real nice with the gold hardware, and vintage tinted neck

X5X3KsIq_o.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the tale!

Last edited:
Fun picture sent in from a forum wearing my snakey inset strap. Looks like he found a suitable mate!
I just love getting pics back from appreciative members of the tribe.

GKo1bKpj_o.jpg

Fresh off the bench today, ALMOST complete, a trio of new Star Power "Blue Flash" straps. This is a real strange leather I took a chance on, online. Small hex embossed pattern, with a subtle blue sparkle. Totally reads as mostly black with a lot of texture... but a light sprinkle of small blue flake on it. Real interesting. I have an iridescent tele I'm gonna to try it on. I think pretty great strap for a blue flake guitar or blue metallic you want to accent, but don't want to have your strap steal the show. Perfect!

f0SL3Zc6_o.jpg

We are up to 994 reverb feedbacks, still creeping in on a thousand. Here's one dropped yesterday on a pink paisley strap. Kind fellow!

OThaVXJI_o.jpg

Recently "Brad" an Orthodontist Rock 'n Roll memorabilia-collector-guitarist guy in Houston picked one up. Great sense of humour! Sent me a pic of his recent "Dirty Honey Python" purchase mated with a rather suitable guitar! OH YEAH!

fAGhPluf_o.jpg

Now I know a dentist who collects guitars and gear can be an easy target for some. But Brad can actually play! And his career choice, and business allows him to do this... Prepare to have your mind blown!

Last edited:
Today in the shop I am working on some bit and pieces for a few new Genocide straps. I'm using skull embossed hide for this, that I have to first dye black, then cut into strips

OuvIFTlW_o.jpg

A lacquer clearcoat locks down the black

MtnqOYzZ_o.jpg

Then some painting. I have a fella interested in a red skulls on black Genocide right now, he hasn't committed.
I'm making it anyway, because it's something that'll won't sit in the store too long anyway.
Also trying one in turquoise and one in metallic bronze - requires a very light touch.

Qo7Rh4nt_o.jpg

I think maybe too much red for this guys' taste, so I'm going to have to think on that. The turquoise still needs something... probably lightly hit it with metallic silver. I like the subtle dark bronze pretty fine as it is. Hiding in the back behind, is a new No Prisoners I am working on also, I'll be done that one probably tomorrow.

Photo in from Canadian Luthier Darcy Boyer of Boyer Guitars, a fella I met over the Facebook maybe six months ago.
This is what he builds. Super future-forward stuff. He picked up a Dark Shadows strap for this one which caught his eye!
Not sure if this is the final pair, I recently saw him designing something in purple, I thought it was for that one!
Maybe it still is. But he liked this combo enough to shoot me a pic.

He39XwQ8_o.jpg

9PS4wKHM_o.jpg

Since he found Well-Hung Pro-Pins, he's fully onboard. Not looking back. This is key to me. When no-compromise builders agree,
I know it's right. No need for clunky straplocks, extra parts or weird gadgets. Just a damn great strap button. Elegant worry-free simplicity.

Today in the shop I am working on some bit and pieces for a few new Genocide straps. I'm using skull embossed hide for this, that I have to first dye black, then cut into strips

OuvIFTlW_o.jpg

A lacquer clearcoat locks down the black

MtnqOYzZ_o.jpg

Then some painting. I have a fella interested in a red skulls on black Genocide right now, he hasn't committed.
I'm making it anyway, because it's something that'll won't sit in the store too long anyway.
Also trying one in turquoise and one in metallic bronze - requires a very light touch.

Qo7Rh4nt_o.jpg

I think maybe too much red for this guys' taste, so I'm going to have to think on that. The turquoise still needs something... probably lightly hit it with metallic silver. I like the subtle dark bronze pretty fine as it is. Hiding in the back behind, is a new No Prisoners I am working on also, I'll be done that one probably tomorrow.

Photo in from Canadian Luthier Darcy Boyer of Boyer Guitars, a fella I met over the Facebook maybe six months ago.
This is what he builds. Super future-forward stuff. He picked up a Dark Shadows strap for this one which caught his eye!
Not sure if this is the final pair, I recently saw him designing something in purple, I thought it was for that one!
Maybe it still is. But he liked this combo enough to shoot me a pic.

He39XwQ8_o.jpg

9PS4wKHM_o.jpg

Since he found Well-Hung Pro-Pins, he's fully onboard. Not looking back. This is key to me. When no-compromise builders agree,
I know it's right. No need for clunky straplocks, extra parts or weird gadgets. Just a damn great strap button. Elegant worry-free simplicity.
Stop it already. I don't need another strap, but I can't look away. Love your work. :love
:beer

Super exciting day for me. New Tail Strap Making Day! YAAAAAYYY!!!!

NAtUDbEh_o.jpg

For perhaps half of my designs, I utilize the same heavy black leather ladder, nose and tail assemblies.
Trusty, dependable, strong heavy duty black leather. Sort of an assembly line thing, economy of scale.
This gives me more time to concentrate on the special carving and layering of the foam in the shoulder that I do,
so I can focus on the end comfort for the wearer. I did finish "Noble Savage" though, turned out nice!

nqJvRQo0_o.jpg

My No Prisoners series is focused around found items like the belt I found above in thrift. Then I build a great guitar strap around it.
this one is metal enough for your average whiskey- soaked rocker, yet still refined enough for your average physician/musician!

Playing around with Suno AI - creates some pretty milktoast run-of-the-mill AI songs. but that where the fun is ... the cheeze!
Create a jingle for any crazy thing in minutes - write a love song for your motorcycle, with just a few simple prompts

Here's a little tune about Strap Locks ( I'm not really a fan, you'll see LOL)

Happy Friday brothers!

Last edited:
"Noble Savage" already heading to Prince Edward Island.
Here's a shot of the new "blue flash" - great for a metallic blue, or bass boat flake guitar in similar colour.
Will compliment, but not compete

cKjL3Ahp_o.jpg

How did I miss this whole section of the forum, and this thread in particular???? I’ve got a lot of catching up to do.

@TVvoodoo those straps are killer, and that rhinestone tele is insane. I have a half finished tele build that was supposed to be metal flake, but I can’t find exactly what I’m looking for. I’ve considered a few alternatives, rhinestones being one of them. I’ve got a pickguard design that’s pretty close to that but I’m taking a WAY harder approach that probably isn’t worth it for the small differences in shape, got enough material left for one more try. If it fails I’m probably gonna lift your idea there.

D

@dk_ace ... borrowing, adapting ideas is mostly why these forums exist, well that and bass player memes. Thank you for the kind words! Packing up a "Blue Flash" for gear junkie today, and planning for Monday where I have a couple of major strap mods for a customer, and a simpler custom job Tuesday. Also the skull embossed leather needs attention. Gotta be a little scarier I think.

This afternoon I have a song project I'm working on... trying to modernize "Sugar, Sugar," make it sexier, darker for the RiffMasters event over on another web group.
The bouncy bass line drives that song so hard, it's tough for me to stray from the original sunshiney vibe.

Interesting project today, a previous custom order came back to me after a couple of years of solid pro stage time. I rarely ever see my own straps come back, which I think is a pretty good sign of durability. Maybe had four or five come back over a dozen years. I do offer repair services to most other kinds of straps, for worn out noses etc.

LjMjwjsK_o.jpg

These custom straps were purchased by the former guitarist for "7th Grade Girl Fight" an alt-rock band, and remain still in great condition. However, problem is, apparently there was a little band "drama" and well, the owner of these has left the group, told me in a letter after 20 years he feels completely betrayed. Anyway, he LOVES his Well-Hung straps too much to sh!tcan 'em, so he asked what I could do with them, because with all that raised lettering, for him they only carried super bad mojo.

It's hard to modify leather straps too much. Particularly something like this which was a rather complex build.
But, I suggested just a simple cover-up of the raised letter logo with guitar strap styled embroidered ribbon, which I keep on hand
and it worked out pretty good. The new stitching does compress the padding a fair bit, but they are still better than 90% of the straps on the market.

a7TTfw8T_o.jpg

Basically turned them into my retro style "1969 Series" straps. This is similar to what I do when people send me a 2" wide
shoulder pounder strap. Build a padded leather base and mount it. It's a 200% improvement on those starter pack ribbon straps.
These'll be good to go for many more years!

Some genocide straps coming up... now dying the skull leather as shown already.
Gonna be one in red, one in Texas Tea, and one in Turquoise...

uoPEzXGL_o.jpg

the way I normally colour this leather, they turned out too light before, not quite evil enough. This morning I hit 'em
with antique paste which darkens the nooks and crannies, and that made them quite a bit more scary!
Once I do with a final few clearcoats these strips gonna be sexy!

jiYmFwJe_o.jpg

I think perhaps maybe the red one might be spoken for. Somebody will have dibs, if not, it'll go to Reverb.

Awesome work!! Going to order some of your strap pins.

Have you ever done anything with alligator hide? I live in central FL and I have a few buddies that get tags and hunt them every year, so I should be able to get some pieces. If so, what would you need? I'm thinking a strip down the middle on black leather would look awesome. Just throwing out some ideas, and kind of broke in the guitar gear right now until I sell some stuff, but I think your work is unbelievable and would love to have one eventually!

Good morning @Byrdman

I have made guitar straps out of Caiman before. But i'm in Canada, and kept it in Canada. Getting large reptile hide across the border is a major PITA. Customs officers from both ends routinely confiscate anything without the extensive documentation required. Large fines, threats of jail time also loom.

But if you want to give it a try, I'm open to it. But one look at the import/export regs and forms, and you'll probably be convinced to keep it local. I do all kinds of croc/gator embossed leather, cowhide actually... but if you are a "play authentic" fellow, that may not satisfy your reptilian urges. That look is easy to get without the real deal tho

Good morning @Byrdman

I have made guitar straps out of Caiman before. But i'm in Canada, and kept it in Canada. Getting large reptile hide across the border is a major PITA. Customs officers from both ends routinely confiscate anything without the extensive documentation required. Large fines, threats of jail time also loom.

But if you want to give it a try, I'm open to it. But one look at the import/export regs and forms, and you'll probably be convinced to keep it local. I do all kinds of croc/gator embossed leather, cowhide actually... but if you are a "play authentic" fellow, that may not satisfy your reptilian urges. That look is easy to get without the real deal tho
I didn't know you were in Canada, I guess I should have looked closer. Just thought it would be a cool idea and I can get the hides pretty easily. I'll see if my guy knows more about it.

Thanks!!

Took me a while to get there, but four new complete

If scary embossed skulls on a 3" wide black padded leather base might be your jam,
check out the new Genocide series straps probably hit the Well-Hung Reverb store tomorrow AM

Pirate King, made a pair of these, both with the contrast stitch

34ejfpNv_o.jpg

Caribbean Surf

t0hcT5N4_o.jpg

Sacrifice

oaJIwT7N_o.jpg

IMG_20240314_141410.jpg

All go around 46" - 58" or so, (most store-bought ladderbacks max out around 52"), so room for Steve Clarke shapes,
luxury padded, light leather body, heavier leather on the nose, ladder and tail for longevity

These are all pretty well-lit shots, but under lower light conditions, they'll be a bit darker, scarier, more handsome too,
just like most of us!

wbLfr9UB_o.jpg

This morning I had a whole different plan. Was going to get at some lighting bolt straps, I make from time to time..Pretty strong sellers. Anyway, had my coffee, started to arrange materials... just wasn't feeling it. In a bit of a creative funk

I needed a changeup.

I do this work this to feed my inner creative monster, put some food on the table too, but moreso the first thing. Always been a creative. Radio, TV, graphic design, journalist, television producer/director, shitty musician, It's drives me.

Anyway, I put all that stuff to the side. Next week!
Pulled down my box of stuff I call "Apocalypso" - in it I throw all manner of bits and pieces I come across. Belts I don't use all of it up, strange fabrics, hardware, zippers, bits and pieces with brightwork on it, just all kinds of weird and wonderful stuff.

I use these bits for my "End Times" series, which is basically a "Mad Max - Steampunk" sort of vibe I guess. I don't know if it's a thing at all, but if it's isn't, I guess maybe I invented the "improv leatherwork" genre? LOL! Sew this to that, arrange this thing this way, lace this, smack in a grommet or two... OH here's some cool brass
brightwork, need a few more rivets here.... hardly no rhyme or reason to any of it, but the results are always unique and visually interesting. This kind of work totally recharges my creative batteries, more "art" than "manufacturing."
Gets me excited, I totally lose myself, hours fly by.

This is what came out of all that today.

OTEklwLg_o.jpg

These either end up staying in the store for months, or get snapped up right away. You just never know. One thing is, each one is unique, and long, padded to typical Well-Hung specs. I'll get better pics over the weekend, list it up probably Monday.

I'd like to announce my 1,001th 5-star feedback came in this morning from Brian B. in Maryland, actually for a set of pro-pins, but he also purchased an "Ember" "Dark Shadows" series at the same time.. this one

nNv0L7PT_o.jpg

kQQOOzJm_o.jpg

Brian's been an amazingly loyal member of the Well-Hung tribe, picking up many straps and buttons from me probably right from the very beginning over a thirteen years ago when I first started out on the old Agile Guitar forum. It was there I learned how to design, prototype and build straps for those extra heavy anchory pauls Zentmaier was importing for all us crazy crew over there.

I see Brian has made 18 purchases from me over the years, probably more since even before Reverb, so it's nice to see him luck into the prize, whatever it's gonna end up to. Asked him to send me a guitar pic of one he wants me to strap over the next two weeks, 100% on me. I'll detail that when it happens.

So congrats to Brian!!! And, allow me to crow a little about the milestone of over ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ 1,000 5-star feedback ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ since first listing my wares on the Reverb platform in 2013. And it's not so much that top end number, but the fact among the 1,002 feedbacks received, there was just a single 4-star feedback among them all. Damn spoiler! LOL!

Some of you may know when I send customer feedback, I often like to leave fun messages myself.
This causes me to get some really kooky ones back, which I encourage, and makeS for some pretty interesting reading in my
Well-Hung Feedback

Happy Friday my brothers, hope you find some time to be creative this weekend yourselves!

Last edited:
"End Times #2 and #3" are complete - my Mad Max, post-apunkalypic pirate/biker series continues, added #3 below on the right to the store yesterday. Imagine a strap scavenged from some dark alternate purpose, converted to a guitar strap, used, repaired and modded several times.

deNHwNw4_o.jpg

Also whipped up some Blue Flash "ZAP!" straps with bolt right outta the blue sparkle leather,
and a couple "Circling Ravens" though one of them is gone to Brian my 1001th 5-star feedbacker.

pNDRH1ne_o.jpg

I'm now working on a custom for Collin, who is a customer dear to my heart. He is a promo monster on the socials for me because he
really believes in the straps he has already. He has not completely committed to this one yet, but I made it with his specs in mind after
we discussed a custom for him. I'll know tomorrow. If not, it's going to the reverb store.

Front and back adjustment, with a big gunmetal buckle mostly for show on the front.

gCX7KMrz_o.jpg

Super striking damask pattern raised on cowhide... mounted to black garment leather, front buckle for show, but works too, for about 4 inches adjustment. He wanted another strap based on another I made years ago, that has become his heart's delight, but suddenly found a new home on a gold top tele NGD he got. He now needs another like it for his vintage burst bass.

This one is an exceptionally handsome piece. Even makes me go "Oh!" a little bit. I'll have to make a few more of these I think.

2rVsdoEX_o.jpg

Happy Hump day, make it happen fellas!

Back