Strat Pickups Much? What You Got?

la szum

Goatlord
Pickup threads are always fun. Who doesn't enjoy a Pickup thread?

I have a Strat-style guitar I am thinking of dropping some different Single-coils into.

Spare me the Ron Ellis recommendations unless you just feel like flexing in front of your Bros. :LOL:

Seriously, what's wrong with Fender pickups, or other similarly priced sub-$200 Strat sets?

Anything you love in that realm, or hate?

Thanks! :beer

I was just looking at strat pickups yesterday. I have some toneriders in there now that are 50s style. They’re just too bright in my particular strat though.

I might just put the stock pickups back in and see what I think about those, it’s been years since I tried them and I might like them now as my tastes and rig have changed a lot.

I’m up for just about anything short of Ron Ellis money. Gonna monitor this thread myself…

@Eagle - any recommendations? Seems like this is probably in your wheelhouse.

D

Love my zexcoils, I’m interested in their new ones!

Little over $200 😬

Last edited:
I tend to like non-traditional Strat pickups because many of them are so much more versatile than the traditional ones. Especially with gain.

My favorites are:
  • Fender Eric Johnson set
  • Dimarzio HS-3/4
  • EMG SAX
  • EMG SAVX
None of these have the same glassiness or complexity of vintage style Strat pickups, but they’re all way more versatile

I am an unashamed traditionalist. :love

I would like a DG-20 setup in a Strat at some point.... but not now. Just want something traditional
in the A2/A4/A5 category with no need for noiseless, or batteries, or bluetooth! :LOL:

I would like a DG-20 setup in a Strat at some point.... but not now. Just want something traditional
in the A2/A4/A5 category with no need for noiseless, or batteries, or bluetooth! :LOL:

Same here. I want my strat to be an ultimate strat. If I want a different sound I’ll just grab a different guitar.

I hesitate to recommend them since they aren’t working out for me, but I really think it has more to do with not fitting the particular guitar than not being good pickups. That disclaimer aside, I’ve got the tonerider pure vintage pickups in there which are a nice budget option potentially. They are A5 magnets on neck, middle, and the EAD of the bridge pickup with A3 on the GBE of the bridge.

D

Ahem …

IMG_0584.jpeg

Sorry Dave only thing I know for my Charvel SSS, is a rail in the bridge and I know id like some Dimarzio Area's for middle and neck
other than that, I know nothing :idk

I really like Suhr V60LP as they are a bit hotter and have a good Strat tone with a tiny bit of high end roll off to avoid harshness. You can find them $200 or less for a full set used.

Tonerider makes good cheap pickups, I have the Alnico Blues which are like Antiquity Hots, warm and fat.

For noiseless I have the Dimarzio Area Injector set. They’re fine.

I have a set of tonerider Humbuckers anxious to get them installed in my Revstar II
I always hear great things bought solely on reviews and its price
I am also partial to Dimarzio because when growing up reading magazines DiMarzio was it
so dunno

You sure you don't want noiseless?
The Fender Hot Noiseless are good. I have a set in a strat. You can get them for around $200.

Back