Strat Pickups Much? What You Got?

I don't get the Ron Ellis thing. Crazy expensive. There's only so much magic you can cram into a single coil. Most of the magic is the player anyways.

Everyone knows Hendrix, Gilmour, and Stevie Ray all used Ron Ellis pickups. They couldn't get
authentic Start tones without them.

Next!:beer

No, they just had better made in USA magnets back then versus the cheap Chinese shit that’s produced in the past 20 years that is so poor and inconsistent…

When you buy Ron Ellis, you’re paying for (measured) consistency of materials (and compared to vintage materials w equipment only a dod contractor can afford.)

Whether that’s valuable to you or not? :idk

:beer

I just put in a set of Fishman Fluence single coils in my partscaster and I think they sound spectacular.

The pre-wired set on a pickguard is 300 which includes the 2 push/pull pots that you'll definitely want. One switches on a mid cut and the other switches between vintage coils and overwound Texas style.

Noiseless, but they do require a power source.

I am an unashamed traditionalist.

la_szum.jpg

Thanks guys. :beer
Already did. Modern Classics.

I don’t know if it’s the specific guitar, the pickups, or the combination of the two, but people frequently ask about them(favorably) when hearing the guitar in person.

Sorry, didn't know those were Custom Shop. I know Fender has the Pure Vintage series, and the Custom Shop
pickups seem to be really well regarded, and only about $200-$230 a set.

Thanks guys. :beer

Sorry, didn't know those were Custom Shop. I know Fender has the Pure Vintage series, and the Custom Shop
pickups seem to be really well regarded, and only about $200-$230 a set.
This guy sold these a long time ago, but this is the set.

I was just looking at strat pickups yesterday. I have some toneriders in there now that are 50s style. They’re just too bright in my particular strat though.

I might just put the stock pickups back in and see what I think about those, it’s been years since I tried them and I might like them now as my tastes and rig have changed a lot.

I’m up for just about anything short of Ron Ellis money. Gonna monitor this thread myself…

@Eagle - any recommendations? Seems like this is probably in your wheelhouse.

D
Something about 6.5k and Alnico 2/3 there is quite a lot out there. A good place to start is the Duncan Alnico 2pro old and boring but it fits the profile.

This is interesting and shows how the Ron Ellis pickups are good but no better than other high quality builders.

Back