Strat noise, but not THAT Strat noise

Alex Kenivel

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
I've dampened the strings behind the nut, I've added tissues around my trem springs and I still get this high pitched resonance at the end of my notes with any significant amount of gain. I've narrowed it down to the electronics cavity by tapping on the pickguard and hearing the exact noise. Do I need to stick foam in my strat around the wiring now??

The loudest noise can be heard by tapping on the volume knob

I've dampened the strings behind the nut, I've added tissues around my trem springs and I still get this high pitched resonance at the end of my notes with any significant amount of gain. I've narrowed it down to the electronics cavity by tapping on the pickguard and hearing the exact noise. Do I need to stick foam in my strat around the wiring now??

Sounds like spring noise...? But since you've dampened the trem springs already... seems like a long shot but maybe pickup mounting springs?

Pickups? All my scatter-wound pickup-loaded guitars do that.

Sounds like spring noise...? But since you've dampened the trem springs already... seems like a long shot but maybe pickup mounting springs?
It really does sound like spring noise but it's not coming from the back cavity. I've alrwsdy triple checked that! If springs it could even be the 5-way selector spring I suppose...

I think you could be onto something - it does sound a little microphonic maybe?
Might just be me, but in my experience, scattered or hand-wound pickups tend to be more sensitive to vibrations that are not directly in the magnetic field. Magnet type might have an effect as well.

My 57/08’s are one of my worst offenders. On the upside, they are very “touch sensitive” and dynamic.

Might just be me, but in my experience, scattered or hand-wound pickups tend to be more sensitive to vibrations that are not directly in the magnetic field. Magnet type might have an effect as well.

My 57/08’s are one of my worst offenders. On the upside, they are very “touch sensitive” and dynamic.

@norminal I always thought that the level of potting (wax) was more significant for microphony? But perhaps it's both.

It's certainly a trade-off in terms of tone and dynamics, though!

@Alex Kenivel Have you tried tapping that pickup nearest the volume pot? Presumably the bridge. What's happens when you shout into it with the guitar plugged in, with a bit of gain on the amp?

@norminal I always thought that the level of potting (wax) was more significant for microphony? But perhaps it's both.

It's certainly a trade-off in terms of tone and dynamics, though!
Could be. I don’t know how to properly articulate what I experience. I’m very ignorant when it comes to pickup design. Don’t want to go down THAT rabbit hole! 😂 I’m just going by what manufacturers like Bare Knuckle have spoken about.

I’ve experienced microphonic pickups in a situation where coil winds were running together and they just squeal like crazy.

Have you tried tapping that pickup nearest the volume pot? Presumably the bridge.
I should mention that the noise only comes through on the bridge pickup (I fooled myself already because I have a Bridge Pickup:On switch that I accidentally left on when messing around), a Zexcoil Juicy Bucker.

But to answer your question I hear the noise when tapping on the pickup about as loud as when I tap on the volume knob

What's happens when you shout into it with the guitar plugged in, with a bit of gain on the amp?
I hear my voice a little bit but not very loud. The vibrations from my voice cause the ringing to happen. Must be something with the bridge pickup.

Interesting. Zexcoil talking on Strat-Talk:

Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 2.41.12 PM.png

They're not specifically talking about the Juicy Bucker, though (it's mentioned later). I wonder how good the "mitigations" are 🤔

Source:

Anyway, could be something else. This is just one possibility 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Interesting. Zexcoil talking on Strat-Talk:

View attachment 5190

They're not specifically talking about the Juicy Bucker, though (it's mentioned later). I wonder how good the "mitigations" are 🤔

Source:

Anyway, could be something else. This is just one possibility 🤷‍♂️
I've sent an email to Lawing Musical, will see what they say.. Might be in the market for a new bridge pickup O.O

I just tested my Polymaths. They are definitely worse than my 57/08’s. They pick up my finger tips rubbing against the fretboard. Both wax-potted FWIW.

Response from LM:

"The Juicy is a very high inductance pickup, so it will transmit a lot of stuff that lower inductance pickups won’t.
Honestly, I have had very little luck tracing this kind of stuff, but generally you want to get everything as damped down as you can.
These kinds of noise issues can be difficult, and some guitars are more sensitive to it than others."

Response from LM:

"The Juicy is a very high inductance pickup, so it will transmit a lot of stuff that lower inductance pickups won’t.
Honestly, I have had very little luck tracing this kind of stuff, but generally you want to get everything as damped down as you can.
These kinds of noise issues can be difficult, and some guitars are more sensitive to it than others."
That was from the manufacturer?

Back