SSS is more versatile than HSS?

I get it. And I honestly have to agree with position 2 with SSS vs. SSH/HSS.

Other than position 2 I don't care for single coil bridge gain tones in my hands, might be operator error since JEL and others seem to do just fine.

With most songs I try to learn, I don't really go there, it's full bridge humbucker or position 5 on a neck single with my SSH Suhr.

Honestly I'm leaning more toward sticking with dual HH guitars if I were to purchase any more, wired with a coil tap option, but I'd always have a single coil in the neck on one of my guitars.

I don’t know, I think a single coil Strat bridge does pretty well for ‘80s hair metal.

This is all a Strat -> Morning Glory -> SD-9 -> Deluxe Reverb:

I was monitoring with my Shure e215 which are super bright so it’s mixed a little too dark

Last edited:
I could never get HSS to balance correctly. I've found the bridge humbucker sounds better and has a more usable range of tones across the volume taper when you have it a bit closer to the strings. But then it's just destroying the single coils gain wise and requires completely different amp gain staging and EQ. If I back it off to balance it out it just sounds too muffled, especially when you turn it down. I've tried all the crazy wiring with splits and bleeds and changing the pot loads so that the humbuckers see 500k and the singles 250k, and all that. Tried low wind humbuckers and higher output noiseless singles too. Seems like the more stuff I add the more awkward things get.

Finally, I just ditched all the HSS stuff in my main Strat and now it's just a single bridge humbucker (Dimarzio 36th anniversary neck) and a 500k volume pot and an output jack and that's it. I've been doing shows with just that lately and loving how it forces me to get the different sounds with my hands and technique more than flipping a switch. That single PAF style humbucker sounds great and is so beautifully responsive. It's fat and clear and smooth and snarls all at the same time. If I want the very specific Strat thing or the Tele thing I just have guitars with traditional set ups for those sounds.

-Aaron

Jimmy Herring's dual HB Strat:

FWIW, besides SSS and HSS Strats and others,I have a Blacktop HH Strat that I love, and an older (2009ish) Carvin Bolt+ HSH. I swapped out the stock volume and tone pots with units with p-p switches to split the coils. The old Carvin Classics HBs have a great P-90-ish tone when split and full up, and get sound very close to standard SC pups with volume rolled back.

HSS is the more versatile setup and it's not even close, really.

SSS has a niche but cool position 2 and extremely niche position 1.
HSS has a less cool but still usable position 2, incredible position 1, AND the option of an equally great parallel bridge humbucker tone.

Whether someone prefers SSS or HSS, there's really no question about which is more versatile.

Last edited:
... Every time I’ve had a HSS Strat I’ve ended up frustrated that I can’t get the tones I need out of the bridge for stuff like country and surf, and the position 2 tones aren’t as good...
As a long-time EMG HSS super-strat fan, I relate to this. I found that the much-maligned EXG tone control - which is not all that useful with single coils - was the fix for getting that hot, clean sound from my bridge humbucker.

Good luck!

As a long-time EMG HSS super-strat fan, I relate to this. I found that the much-maligned EXG tone control - which is not all that useful with single coils - was the fix for getting that hot, clean sound from my bridge humbucker.

Good luck!

I love those active tone controls! I actually like doing the opposite of using EMG SSS with an SPC on the bridge. Sort of gives me

0 = Strat
2-3 = Tele
7-8 = Humbucker

Back