Spent 2 days learning 21 songs for a gig…

Maaaaaaaan, I hope those are cool songs you learned. That's a bummer dude.

I try to look at projects like the work is its own reward, but I can imagine that would be fully deflating to put all that time in and not be able to perform the tunes.

21 Rocking in the Free Worlds or 21 Ricki Don't Lose that Numbers?

Shrug if it's the former, bummer if it's the latter.

21 Rocking in the Free Worlds or 21 Ricki Don't Lose that Numbers?

Shrug if it's the former, bummer if it's the latter.

I was actually excited about the music. It was eclectic, diverse, and a lot of stuff I never play.

Very folk/modern-folk and Americana type music.

Brandi Carlile
Ingrid Michaelson
Joni Mitchell
Grace Potter

And some theater stuff from Next to Normal, Bright Star, [Title of Show]

And a bunch more

I am sorry if this is a rather private question, but in this case you described do you get financially compensated?

You were (officially, I guess) booked and learned a 21 song set in 2 days. Not only are 2 days of your life gone you could have earned money in these 2 days elsewhere.

I am always curious about this 'hired gun" stuff.

I am sorry if this is a rather private question, but in this case you described do you get financially compensated?

You were (officially, I guess) booked and learned a 21 song set in 2 days. Not only are 2 days of your life gone you could have earned money in these 2 days elsewhere.

I am always curious about this 'hired gun" stuff.

I didn’t get paid for this one.

I’m probably not as assertive as I could be in situations like this, but the way I look at it is this person already lost a bunch of money on this and if I push to be compensated they’re gonna be out even more. They may pay me something, but they also may not call me next time they need a guitarist.

I’d rather let the money go for the sake of the relationship in this case to better set myself up for possibilities of future work.

A lot of people don’t want to work with you if you give the impression that you’re only in it for the money and don’t care about the people

It’s a balancing act of managing your business, being diplomatic, and also being a decent person who people want to work with.

… and the show got cancelled :banana

I got hired last minute for this thing and only had 2 days, so I’m cramming and writing charts. And then the day of the show, it got cancelled.

Ugh, c’est la vie

Oh man... WTF?? :brickWere you subbing again?

I recall your post from a few weeks back about just this sort of thing.

Edit:
Kurt Cobain Nevermind GIF by Nirvana

:ROFLMAO:

I didn’t get paid for this one.

I’m probably not as assertive as I could be in situations like this, but the way I look at it is this person already lost a bunch of money on this and if I push to be compensated they’re gonna be out even more. They may pay me something, but they also may not call me next time they need a guitarist.

I’d rather let the money go for the sake of the relationship in this case to better set myself up for possibilities of future work.

A lot of people don’t want to work with you if you give the impression that you’re only in it for the money and don’t care about the people

It’s a balancing act of managing your business, being diplomatic, and also being a decent person who people want to work with.

Clayton Keller Hockey GIF by NHL on NBC Sports

Every musician that gets his or her panties in a wad and gets all kerfuffled when
things don't work out to their advantage (and they seldom do, as these are TEAM
events from front to bottom) needs to have that post Tattoo'd on their ass. :beer

Back