Specs, DAW Computer, Opinions

Okay. Time to up that buffer. Just start by doubling it and seeing if there's any noticeable difference. It will increase latency, but if you're not recording, then that doesn't matter so much.

Realizing now that it has been said multiple times by others to look at buffer settings, but you walking me through it like the moron I am….

YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD!!!

I raised the buffer to 256 and same issue. I raised it to 512 and not a single glitch, click or error! Holy shit. The RAM usage went up just a hair below 10GB. CPU stayed basically the same.

So basically drop to 128 to track and 512 to mix.

I’m off to make a thread “The internet saves an idiot from spending 2k on a computer he doesn’t need”.

Then go browsing for a new guitar. :rofl

Fuck yeah! 🎉

TEAM WORK! ✊

Awesome All In GIF by Studio Flox

(Glad I got Wookie represented in there)

Last edited:
Realizing now that it has been said multiple times by others to look at buffer settings, but you walking me through it like the moron I am….

YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD!!!

I raised the buffer to 256 and same issue. I raised it to 512 and not a single glitch, click or error! Holy s**t. The RAM usage went up just a hair below 10GB. CPU stayed basically the same.

So basically drop to 128 to track and 512 to mix.

I’m off to make a thread “The internet saves an idiot from spending 2k on a computer he doesn’t need”.

Then go browsing for a new guitar. :rofl
You may want to set up some sort of "reminder" system to ensure you switch it back to lower buffer when ready to track! If you don't, you may end up in the position of pulling your hair out when latency is killing you while laying down a track!! At least until you get used to it, I can totally picture myself making that exact mistake and not remember what it is that is doing it!!!

I'm wondering if the Scarlett isn't even set up correctly as an input / output device for Logic to consume.

@Whizzinby You should also open the Audio Midi Setup app and check the configured sample rates in there for your Scarlett in case they're misconfigured. May even be worth removing and re-adding the device; sometimes that helps.

I'm running a mid 2015 Macbook Pro with 16gb of ram with a bunch of inserts and never even a glitch

THat odd sample rate has to be coming from the scarlett setup.

Whizz you want to set that to 44.1K under Audio/Midi on your mac mini

I’ll check the sample rates when I get back in front of the computer. So 44.1k for the Scarlett. On it.

You may want to set up some sort of "reminder" system to ensure you switch it back to lower buffer when ready to track! If you don't, you may end up in the position of pulling your hair out when latency is killing you while laying down a track!! At least until you get used to it, I can totally picture myself making that exact mistake and not remember what it is that is doing it!!!

Yeah next thread: “Why is the latency so bad?” :rofl

I found a way to cripple the M2 w/ Logic.

With this many plugs, I’m getting some kind of timing disparity between midi and sample rate says the error msg.

Once it was unrecoverable; thank God I have back ups.

IMG_2044.jpeg

11x comps
7x instances of Neutron4 😳
1x Ozone10
5x Exciters (not incl. the ones in Izotope)
6x Reverbs!

Oops 😬

I should say I think this is my best mix so far; (music is what it is once I finish it later this week.)

I’ll submit for a week 0 or -1 lol 😝

I’ll add that it’s pretty cool that neutron4 talks to all the different channels of neutron, and you can search for “masking” between various tracks and ask neutron to deal w/ it.

I’ll add that it’s pretty cool that neutron4 talks to all the different channels of neutron, and you can search for “masking” between various tracks and ask neutron to deal w/ it.

It took me four months to learn that. :LOL: Can Neutron actually auto-make moves though based on it, or just point you to that instance of Neutron on those buses?

It took me four months to learn that. :LOL: Can Neutron actually auto-make moves though based on it, or just point you to that instance of Neutron on those buses?

I’m under the impression that neutron4 is using dynamic EQ to actively manage.

You can set the “sensitivity“ of the action

For example, I make sure that my rhythm guitar buses aren’t masking the bass track, as well as I’m making sure that my keyboard tracks don’t mask my rhythm guitar tracks. Etc.

(I also occasionally use sidechaining on compressors for ducking)

Hopefully at the end of the week we can hear the results.

I have that gas thing going for Soothe2, but I’m not sure if it’s JFM or BS?

I’m under the impression that neutron4 is using dynamic EQ to actively manage.

You can set the “sensitivity“ of the action

For example, I make sure that my rhythm guitar buses aren’t masking the bass track, as well as I’m making sure that my keyboard tracks don’t mask my rhythm guitar tracks. Etc.

(I also occasionally use sidechaining on compressors for ducking)

Hopefully at the end of the week we can hear the results.

I have that gas thing going for Soothe2, but I’m not sure if it’s JFM or BS?

I need to look at that more, I only noticed that it will show the masking, (Like ProQ3 does) but didn’t realize it can actively address it. (Though how does it make the decision on what to cut from, ex. Kick or bass bus, or guitar vs bass etc.)

I bought Soothe2 in my initial plug-in frenzy. I primarily use the guitar de-spike presets, and the bass de-mud preset. (And adjust the depth to taste for each) I just use those to get rid of some of the more harsh freq spikes. It’s another on my list of plugs to deep dive because it seems pretty powerful and more in depth than what I’m probably using it for.

I need to look at that more, I only noticed that it will show the masking, (Like ProQ3 does) but didn’t realize it can actively address it. (Though how does it make the decision on what to cut from, ex. Kick or bass bus, or guitar vs bass etc.)

I bought Soothe2 in my initial plug-in frenzy. I primarily use the guitar de-spike presets, and the bass de-mud preset. (And adjust the depth to taste for each) I just use those to get rid of some of the more harsh freq spikes. It’s another on my list of plugs to deep dive because it seems pretty powerful and more in depth than what I’m probably using it for.

I could be wrong on neutron doing any active EQ re: masking … I’ll dive into it more
BRB

Seems like everyone who brings their Apple Silicon computer to its knees uses plugins from iZotope. What does that tell us about the efficiency of these plugins? :unsure:

Seems like everyone who brings their Apple Silicon computer to its knees uses plugins from iZotope. What does that tell us about the efficiency of these plugins? :unsure:

That people over use them? Lol

There’s a lot of shit going on under the hood; I think izotope has some of the best limiting algorithms (IRC IV Transient) in Ozone10 out there, along with their newest exciters/saturation.

Neutron does it’s own thing, but the instrument eq curves on each instrument help me get to a clearer mix.

Honestly, it could be the exciters and the reverbs in logic, pulling this project down … I guess I’ll stand up another fx/reverb bus.

Last edited:
Back