Specs, DAW Computer, Opinions

I dunno. I'm just not fully convinced that RAM is your problem.

I'm thinking that If I can run multiple JVM instances with memory hog databases and multiple browsers with hundreds of tabs open on my M1 with 16GB of RAM, and experience no problems; then you really ought to be able to run "average" demand audio processing with what you've already got (which is the same hardware as me). 🤷‍♂️

I agree, but I’ll be damned if I don’t have to deal with this every time I started adding more than a handful of plugs. It ends up making me cut short the the mixing/mastering stuff because the audio starts glitching, and I get midi sync errors. (which to the best of my knowledge is just performance related as the computer starts it’s self destruct sequence from the overload)

@Whizzinby Just keep in mind that the first time you run an app under Rosetta, it takes longer for it to start up because the x86 binaries initially have their instructions translated to ARM instructions on the fly. After that they should start faster.

Last edited:
I can’t rule out user error (I’m an idiot) but I don’t know if this is “excessive” or not, or poor routing…

Kontakt running GGD on the drum buss.

Two instances of Darkglass, one on each bass track. (Was trying @SeeD’s idea of having one track set clean, and one track set slightly dirtier) This all feeding to a bass bus.

Guitars. A clean bus running the SLO plug. And ambient bus running another instance of the SLO. Then a dirty bus running Nolly.

So basically 6 sims total before mixing.

Once mixing I generally add ProQ on the guitar and bass busses. (So 4 total on this project)

I’ve been running Soothe2 on the guitar busses, so three instances. (Maybe I could route all the guitar buses to another uber guitar bus to only run this once?)

Then I’ll run Neutron on all the individual bass and guitar buses. (So four instances)

Then I run Ozone on the master bus.

I have no idea if that’s too much shit for a project, or normal. It certainly doesn’t seem to want to run all that smoothly.

@Whizzinby What do you see when you open Activity Monitor and sort by % CPU, and then after that by Memory? Either your culprit will be in there, or else it should be obvious that it's death by a thousand cuts.

I cannot comment on the NDSP plug’s performance…

But I run in Neutron4 on at least 4-5 stereo tracks.
Ozone10 sit on the Master bus.

No issues :idk

@Whizzinby I know we've discussed this before in this thread BUT:

Did you try different buffer settings in the end? It's not clear from the discussion how much you experimented with that setting. Unsuitable buffer allocations can and do result in stuttering.

Last edited:
@Whizzinby I know we've discussed this before in this thread, and Sascha said it wouldn't affect playback... BUT:

Did you try different buffer settings in the end? It's not clear from the discussion how much you experimented with that setting. Unsuitable buffer allocations can and do result in stuttering.

I just ran the project with activity monitor going. At peak the CPU utilization is 35% (65% idle) and the RAM utilization is around 9GB. So that doesn’t look bad, but I’m getting some clicks, stuttering, and this error starts popping up at different times.

IMG_4080.jpeg

Here are my buffer settings.

IMG_4081.jpeg

Okay. Time to up that buffer. Just start by doubling it and seeing if there's any noticeable difference. It will increase latency, but if you're not recording, then that doesn't matter so much.

Is it a conflict between the scarlet and logic?

I'm wondering if the Scarlett isn't even set up correctly as an input / output device for Logic to consume.

@Whizzinby You should also open the Audio Midi Setup app and check the configured sample rates in there for your Scarlett in case they're misconfigured. May even be worth removing and re-adding the device; sometimes that helps.

Adding to JelloDog's post.

An odd question, but just checking... You don't have one of those cell phone chargers you set the phone on top of on your desk do you?

If so make sure any USB cables don't come too close or lay on top of it. It will act like an antenna and take the current in, that's bad for audio and other electronic components at each end.

Back