Speaking of Knaggs

To say that Gibson is not trying to fix things that were wrong is just stupid and their Legacy makes Knaggs irrelevant however good they are.
Their quality control is still shit. I checked out two at my local guitar store over the weekend and both had overspray on the binding. Just look at all the finish failures from Murphy Lab owners over at The Other Place.

It’s not like these are new instruments. They’ve been making the same goddamn guitars for over half a century. You’d think they’d be coming out of the factory absolutely flawless after all this time.

Overpriced and overhyped fenceposts.

Stank Face Snoop Dogg GIF by BrownSugarApp

Their quality control is still shit. I checked out two at my local guitar store over the weekend and both had overspray on the binding. Just look at all the finish failures from Murphy Lab owners over at The Other Place.

It’s not like these are new instruments. They’ve been making the same goddamn guitars for over half a century. You’d think they’d be coming out of the factory absolutely flawless after all this time.

Overpriced and overhyped fenceposts.
The finish failures is an issue with the users not realising they are buying vintage accurate products with all their issues. Look how the finish came off early Fenders.
The thing you call overspray is actually the red bleeding in to the clear . If you use traditional lacquer and have an intersection between trans red and clear this is going to happen 9 out of 10 times however careful you are. Gibson still does things like they did because every time they change something the fan base goes crazy. They could easily start making their product like other companies do but choose to stay with the way they were. If you look at their acoustics they don’t have any of these issues. I am no particular fan of Gibson and I don’t own any but they are stuck with their own legacy. Look what happened when they used a three piece maple neck with 14 degrees and a volute to totally fix the head break issue.

To say that Gibson is not trying to fix things that were wrong is just stupid and their Legacy makes Knaggs irrelevant however good they are.
You can hear legacy? How’s that sound? Better highs? Growly lows? cutting mids? How’s legacy feel in an instrument? The action just perfect? The nut cut just right?

While they’re “trying to fix things” the suckers are paying full price for an inferior instrument. Kind of like when I had a million dropouts on AT&T cell service and they told me they’re investing 2B dollars on infrastructure. Thats great but the bill TODAY is for shit service.

You do you! Get you some more finish flaws, plastic nuts cut horribly bad and the calamity of other issues that have plagued Gibson for a long time. Make sure you call to see what they can do for you once you’re out of warranty. They basically told me to throw my KRKs in the river. I couldn’t even pay to send them back for a repair. They wouldn’t touch them, about 2 years out of warranty. Now THAT is standing by your product, let me tell you. I’m offering to PAY and they still wont repair them. What a company. That’s the kind of service we love.

Ford made the model T. Guess my BMW is irrelevant. Send me your address, I’ll get it on a car carrier over to you now that you’ve convinced me how bad it is to not have to hand crank my engine in the morning. When you are actually making these arguments, is there smoke coming out of your ears or are you admittedly not thinking them through?

Last edited:
You can hear legacy? How’s that sound? Better highs? Growly lows? cutting mids? How’s legacy feel in an instrument? The action just perfect? The nut cut just right?

While they’re “trying to fix things” the suckers are paying full price for an inferior instrument. Kind of like when I had a million dropouts on AT&T cell service and they told me they’re investing 2B dollars on infrastructure. Thats great but the bill TODAY is for shit service.

You do you! Get you some more finish flaws, plastic nuts cut horribly bad and the calamity of other issues that have plagued Gibson for a long time. Make sure you call to see what they can do for you once you’re out of warranty. They basically told me to throw my KRKs in the river. I couldn’t even pay to send them back for a repair. They wouldn’t touch them, about 2 years out of warranty. Now THAT is standing by your product, let me tell you. I’m offering to PAY and they still wont repair them. What a company. That’s the kind of service we love.

Ford made the model T. Guess my BMW is irrelevant. Send me your address, I’ll get it on a car carrier over to you now that you’ve convinced me how bad it is to not have to hand crank my engine in the morning. When you are actually making these arguments, is there smoke coming out of your ears or are you admittedly not thinking them through?
You are not thinking it through. The Les Paul is still selling more the Knaggs have ever sold every year. The Knaggs also doesn’t sound any better than an equivalent Gibson.

You are not thinking it through. The Les Paul is still selling more the Knaggs have ever sold every year. The Knaggs also doesn’t sound any better than an equivalent Gibson.
Knaggs couldn’t possibly sell that many guitars. Each one of them is hand made In Maryland by a team of a total of 12 people, and I think at least 2 or 3 of them never build a guitar. They only make a limited number of instruments. Joe Knaggs inspects and is involved in building every single guitar. That would be a LEGACY you can be proud of. Gibson BRANDS is a rather large company by this industries standards. They make stereo receivers, tumblers for your morning coffee, are currently in the process of doing their best to ruin Mesa and they also make video game controllers like the Firebird X. Now that they’ve had 70 years to perfect solid body guitar building, I hear they’re close. Real close.

I think I see smoke……….

The Knaggs also doesn’t sound any better than an equivalent Gibson.
Knaggs doesn’t even make a guitar that’s equivalent to any Gibson. It’s not like they’re pumping out Les Paul clones. What do they have in common? Wood? Dual humbuckers? Binding? Apples to apples dude.

The beauty of brands like Knaggs, McNaught, Huber, Briggs, etc. is you don't have to run the racks to find an acoustically killer one.
No way that happens with Fenders, Gibsons, and PRS these days. Not talking cosmetics at all here - just a neck and body that
acoustically rings like crazy with no dead spots. All 3 companies make them but you have to weed them out from the masses.

Specifically, how has mesa been getting ruined?
For starters, they wouldn’t let any Mesa tubes be sold for amps out of warranty during the pandemic. Since mesa amps cannot be biased and you must use matched mesa tubes, that effectively left amp owners with no way to replace a tube. Not sure if they’ve lifted that since the great tube shortage of ‘21, but that is right in line with their god awful we dont give a shit service we are used to from gibson. The old Mesa would have NEVER left a customer out to hang like this. Give them time, it took them some time to ruin KRK, they’ll fuck up Mesa just the same.

Since mesa amps cannot be biased and you must use matched mesa tubes, that effectively left amp owners with no way to replace a tube.
Doug's Tubes has always been able to provide a great assortment of power tubes measured to be compatible with Mesa fixed bias amplifiers. I've been using them for over a decade with great success.

Back