So I ordered the Mr Scary mod for my Badlander 100

Dude I was rocking out before I read the first clip was without the mod. :ROFLMAO:

Sounds sick.
Yeah again it absolutely does not need a hot mod. But this does move it more towards a high gain monster more so (which when I hear the name rectifier is what I think of vs a rock machine in stock format). Overall, very happy with it (minus wanting to die halfway through)

Glad you enjoyed it!

I remember David Szabados (sp?) from the Plexi Palace forum in the early 2Ks. He then of course did his own blog "Legendary Tones" and eventually offered a few pieces of gear (think he had some kind of George Lynch stompbox at one point).

This Mr. Scary mod also reminds me of the Kasha QuikMod they had in the 80's (Jake E. Lee used one with his amp on Badlands), which essentially just adds another 12AX7 or equivalent gain stage. In fact, they're practically the same product.

Original Kasha QuikMod:

Kasha is still around and still sells the QuikMod (version 3) here:

Euge Valovirta also does a review of the Mr. Scary mod here:

It works just fine 😎

Man that's a testament to amps lol that think took a tumble. Mod is pretty great and will post clips for those who survived this with me. Is there any cons for me just not using the standby for the time being?

Amps didn't use to have them right 🤣

JT got the bum cabclone so I had to leave my mark

First half is without the mod on and the pause followed by the second is with mod. Same channel and settings.
Thicker with more sizzle. I like it!

I’m holding back for the REALLY Mr Scary Mod with 4 pre-amp tubes that has a adjuster to dial in
or dial out the bottom end frequencies👍
I’m not scared either.

I’m holding back for the REALLY Mr Scary Mod with 4 pre-amp tubes that has a adjuster to dial in
or dial out the bottom end frequencies👍
I’m not scared either.
1712859298022.png

I finally got around to installing the Mr. Scary Mod into the Badlander 💯.

I popped the two retainer clips and removed the rear cage that protects the tubes. Next, I pulled the inner pair of power tubes to gain access to V2. I removed the cover and then V2.

The mod slid into place with minimal effort. I connected the ground clamp to the chassis and reinstalled the power tubes.

Total elapsed installation time was about 6 minutes. Fired it up and played for a solid 40 minutes with guitar into amp into cab. My face hurts from smiling 😁

I have the gain on the mod at full and the deep switch enabled. I will experiment with adjusting those at a later date because I'm having too much fun.

I finally got around to installing the Mr. Scary Mod into the Badlander 💯.

I popped the two retainer clips and removed the rear cage that protects the tubes. Next, I pulled the inner pair of power tubes to gain access to V2. I removed the cover and then V2.

The mod slid into place with minimal effort. I connected the ground clamp to the chassis and reinstalled the power tubes.

Total elapsed installation time was about 6 minutes. Fired it up and played for a solid 40 minutes with guitar into amp into cab. My face hurts from smiling 😁

I have the gain on the mod at full and the deep switch enabled. I will experiment with adjusting those at a later date because I'm having too much fun.
How does it compare with your King Kong 50W since you own both it and the Badlander?

Have you tried the Mr. Scary in the King Kong yet? It slides in V2 for channel 2 (Hi-Gain channel) and V4 for the Plexi channel.

Honestly, I've been playing through my KK50 more than all of my other amps combined since I got it dialed in to my liking.

Now, with the mod in the Badlander, it will get quite a bit more uptime. The deep switch on the Mr Scary mod seems to be the missing mojo I was hoping to gain with the BL.

I haven't tried the mod in the KK50 since it already has all the mojo I could hope for in both channels. Keep in mind that my KK50 was built and heavily modified in Jacksonville, FL, not by Ceriatone in Malaysia.

Back