So I built a 212/115 cab

MadAsAHatter

Roadie
Though some of you over here would be interested. About a month ago I decided I wanted to build myself a new speaker cab. At first I was going to do a standard 412, but I already have a couple and wanted something outside the norm. I settled on doing a 212/115 cab. I'm a hobbyist woodworker but have zero clues about cab design. Without anything out there to copy I winged it with traditional 412 dimensions and hoped for the best.

I completely finished it yesterday and I'm pleasantly surprised at how it sounds There's not a whole lot to go over, but these are the specs:
  • All 3/4" 7 ply void free birch plywood except a front frame which is douglas fir.
  • 30"x30"x14"
  • Simple butt joint construction with full internal bracing
  • 2 degree tiltback on the baffle
  • 2 Weber Gray Wolf 12" ceramic and 1 Weber 15" Blue Dog Alnico speakers
  • 8 Ohm mono, 16 ohm Stereo split between the 2 12" and 15" speakers
  • No batting or stuffing inside
  • Lavender/White crocodile covering, black/gray grill cloth and purple metal skull badge
I haven't put it through the full paces yet, but have run a couple of my amps through it. Overall the cab sound massive without being overbearing in any way. It has a thick girthy low end with any mud or boomyness, a good midrange growl and cut, and upper end chime and clarity. The 12" Gray Wolves have the punch, cut and clarity. The 15" Blue Dog adds in the girth and growl while further adding to cut & chime. It all seems to blend in just right to produce a really full sound.

Don't have any sound clips yet. I'll try to get some to post later this week. Here are some pics of the build & finished product.

1665412928136.png
1665412946014.png
1665412970112.png
1665412986924.png
1665413016670.png
1665413070524.png
1665413099443.png
1665413117916.png

Last edited:
Damn, dude! Nice!!!!

That’s quality work, right there!

I built a pedalboard last year……it’s infested with termites. :rofl

That's awesome, love that tolex.

I'm really curious about the sound you'll get with that speaker combinaton

That’s some beautiful wood work right there!!! Very talented indeed!!! Can’t wait to hear what that speaker combo sounds like…
:beer

Thats Good Patrick Stewart GIF

Wow. That looks amazing!!

What’s the inspiration between the 2x12+15 design?
It started out from wanting to build a 412 cab and load it with speakers other than the typical Celestion's. Researching speakers lead me to Johan Segeborn's video comparing a 412 cab to a 415. The 15" speakers sounded amazing and huge compared to the 12's. I considered doing a 215 or 415, but after listening to more clips thought that might be a bit too much.

Naturally that lead to considering a combo of 12's & 15's. I really couldn't find anything on this. All I found was a 112/115 cab from emperor cabs and one guy's short video. Then I just said F it, 2 12's and 1 15 shoved in a 412 sized cab seems about right and went all in. Going in I had no clue if it would turn out sounding good or be more firewood. Happy to say it won't end up on the burn pile.

It started out from wanting to build a 412 cab and load it with speakers other than the typical Celestion's. Researching speakers lead me to Johan Segeborn's video comparing a 412 cab to a 415. The 15" speakers sounded amazing and huge compared to the 12's. I considered doing a 215 or 415, but after listening to more clips thought that might be a bit too much.

Naturally that lead to considering a combo of 12's & 15's. I really couldn't find anything on this. All I found was a 112/115 cab from emperor cabs and one guy's short video. Then I just said F it, 2 12's and 1 15 shoved in a 412 sized cab seems about right and went all in. Going in I had no clue if it would turn out sounding good or be more firewood. Happy to say it won't end up on the burn pile.
Ha. That’s awesome. Would love to know what that sounds like first hand (in the room). I bet it sounds huge and full!

Dude! I've always wanted to do that to my 3rd power 3x12 cab but I'm too chicken to mod it cause it sounds so good... So how does it sound?

Oh and nice fkn build dude! Major props!

Dude! I've always wanted to do that to my 3rd power 3x12 cab but I'm too chicken to mod it cause it sounds so good... So how does it sound?

Oh and nice fkn build dude! Major props!
Overall it sounds pretty massive. The extended low end from the 15" thickens up the sound without being flubby. Obviously speaker choice is going to play a big part in the sound. The Weber Grey Wolves and Blue Dog hit at the spot I was hoping for. I should be able to do some room clips this weekend to post.

I don't know if your 312 cab is constructed where you can remove the baffle. If so, you could always make a new baffle and swap it out. That way if you don't like the new configuration you can switch it back.

Overall it sounds pretty massive. The extended low end from the 15" thickens up the sound without being flubby. Obviously speaker choice is going to play a big part in the sound. The Weber Grey Wolves and Blue Dog hit at the spot I was hoping for. I should be able to do some room clips this weekend to post.

I don't know if your 312 cab is constructed where you can remove the baffle. If so, you could always make a new baffle and swap it out. That way if you don't like the new configuration you can switch it back.
I actually did look into to see if I could remove the baffle but nope... they got their patented triangle shape thing going on which equivalate to a billion screws and no real way remove it without messing up the front.

1665611109885.png

I attempted to do some recordings over the weekend, but it didn't go as well as planned. I did get a few clips, but they didn't really capture the bass the way is sounded in room. I did it as one long track of some random riffing so I want to go back and delete out the silent parts before I post. Overall it's sounding great with most of my amps I've played through it.

Here's a clip that captures the overall sound pretty well. It's a song I wrote years ago for a band I was in that stuck with me. This is what was used.
Ibanez Iceman with V-5 pickups
ENGL Inferno
Electro-voice Cobalt 9 Dynamic mic on the 15" Blue Dog at about the edge of the dustcap; center pan
Sterling Audio MP230 Condenser mics on the Grey Wolfs. One on the edge of the dustcap and the other about midway to the edge of the speaker. Each mic panned about 80% L & R respectively.
Recorded with a Zoom R20 digital multitrack.

This was pretty much recorded straight up garage band style. Dropped the mics in front of the speakers, loaded a basic drum track to play to, hit record and go. The only editing was adjusting the pan and volumes on the mics. Last thing to mention, the first few seconds before the drums kick in is the 15" blue dog by itself.

That’s awesome. You don’t see 15” cabs anywhere. Is anyone actually selling a 215 or 415 cab? Seems like one would have to do a custom job.

Back