SNGD: ES-8 is getting demolished by an MS-3 - Synergy Syn-2 switching issue (Now solved!)

Spaced Out Ace

Shredder
Update: I have SOLVED the issue! There was something in "Patch Midi" for each patch of the GT-1000 Core. Removing this from both patches solved the issue. (I initially though messing with Omni and Device ID in the GT-1000 Core worked, but it only worked while the menu was still active. Going back to the display with the patch name and number still produced the issue until the Patch Midi stuff was addressed.)

Basically, I am having a lot of goofy ass issues trying to switch channels on my Synergy Syn-2 preamps (I have two). Going from the clean patches on my ES-8 to rhythm/lead on the SAME MODULE is causing the module to switch to the lead channel on my OS for a split second and back to the clean. That is on Syn-2 #1.

On Syn-2 #2, in a master/slave hookup, it will tell #1 to activate and put it on channel one.

I can "bypass" this nonsense by going to a second rhythm/lead patch to CONFIRM I want the lead channel of that module, but otherwise, no dice. I do more tap dancing than the MS-3, which currently, is kicking its ass.

So far, not a fan of the ES-8 AT ALL. I haven't even gotten into the nightmare of curnum setup or using any of the pedals in the loops.

The MS-3 was easy to setup and functioned well. I wanted more of that, not this junk. Probably going to go back for a refund if Sweetwater doesn't haven't any bright ideas.

Last edited:
Here's two example patches. Whatever the issue is, I can't figure it out, and I'm close to sending it back and getting something else with USB. When the hell did Boss release this thing, 1994? I haven't even gotten into any "deep dive" sort of stuff with this thing, which I'm sure will be a headache as well.
Boss ES-8 2.png
Boss ES-8.png

The MS and the ES should be running the same general workflow since they are probably running from the same sort of code base as far as midi goes? Did you see this thread and is it applicable?
Does lowering the CC value to that 64 threshold help?

The MS and the ES should be running the same general workflow since they are probably running from the same sort of code base as far as midi goes? Did you see this thread and is it applicable?
Does lowering the CC value to that 64 threshold help?
It says it needs to be above 64. I had it at 65 previously. I set it to 127 to see if it would force the unit to function/switch properly. That said, the MS-3 and ES-8 are likely not running from the same source code. I think the MS-3 is likely based on the GT-100, while the ES-8 is likely separate entirely from their multi fx line.

It says it needs to be above 64. I had it at 65 previously. I set it to 127 to see if it would force the unit to function/switch properly. That said, the MS-3 and ES-8 are likely not running from the same source code. I think the MS-3 is likely based on the GT-100, while the ES-8 is likely separate entirely from their multi fx line.
That stinks. I've looked at the ES a few times. I actually love the way Boss handles MIDI control of external devices, generally speaking. At lteast on the MS3 and GT1000 series. @GuitarBilly74 maybe?

That stinks. I've looked at the ES a few times. I actually love the way Boss handles MIDI control of external devices, generally speaking. At lteast on the MS3 and GT1000 series. @GuitarBilly74 maybe?
I liked how it functioned correctly on the MS-3, but I wanted some drives in their own loops so I could use the controller to CurNum a certain drive on/off for a certain clean channel. ie, one of the OS modules I have set up for a brighter clean sound, so the Shredmaster would sound best there. Another clean channel has a darker character based on how I have the module setup, so a Guvnor or, if I want lower gain, a Bluesbreaker would be best there.

I haven't even gotten into the more "deep dive" stuff because it can't even handle this. Going patch by patch is incredibly tedious, which would be fine if I didn't have to unhook the midi interface, reconnect the midi cable to the ES-8, test it, doesn't work, back and forth over and over.

I am all about NOT being driven nuts by MIDI programming. If the MS3 is able to switch all the channels how you like; send that ES-8 packing!

I am all about NOT being driven nuts by MIDI programming. If the MS3 is able to switch all the channels how you like; send that ES-8 packing!
The problem then is having a ton of drive pedals I have zero use for, as there are only three loops on the MS-3. That said, if I don't replace the ES-8 with something else (but has USB this time; lesson learned there), I'll just stick to the MS-3 and figure out something to do with all the drive pedals I have.

A semi-clunky workaround could be to daisy chain the drives in a single loop. Not ideal but if you can make that work and like everything else on the MS?

A semi-clunky workaround could be to daisy chain the drives in a single loop. Not ideal but if you can make that work and like everything else on the MS?
I'm rethinking whether I'll even buy another looper (like a MusicomLab or RJM). The drives can sit in a box, and I'll just use the Syn-2 stuff. At least then I'd be playing guitar instead of having my rig in flux for weeks because I don't have more time or patience and was waiting for stuff to show up.

I appreciate your thoughts regardless.

I've sent my Sweetwater sales rep a message for the address to ship this back. If I care to bother to try two things to see if it fixes the issue, I'll let you know if it fixes the issue. Otherwise, it looks like this endeavor was a waste of time entirely. I don't usually return stuff, but this is definitely a strong "worst pedal I've ever bought" candidate.

@Spaced Out Ace - the best looper around is the GigRig G3, by quite a margin. It does do midi and all that. Activating individual pedals is dogshit simple, and there isn't really anything out there that challenges it for ease of use.

@Spaced Out Ace - the best looper around is the GigRig G3, by quite a margin. It does do midi and all that. Activating individual pedals is dogshit simple, and there isn't really anything out there that challenges it for ease of use.
That thing better have a Fleshlight port to get my rocks off too, while we're at it, with algorithms accurate to the adapter being used for that price.

Is anything off here? Tried it bypassing the Gt-1000 Core and didn't seem to have an issue on the first module. I don't know if I will on the secondary Syn-2, but it's a step forward.
20241003_154207.jpg

Update: I have SOLVED the issue! There was something in "Patch Midi" for each patch of the GT-1000 Core. Removing this from both patches solved the issue. (I initially though messing with Omni and Device ID in the GT-1000 Core worked, but it only worked while the menu was still active. Going back to the display with the patch name and number still produced the issue until the Patch Midi stuff was addressed.)

Last edited:
Back