Simple QC Board and My Less Simple FM9 Board

deadpool_25

Roadie
I've had my FM9 since it released (I did upgrade to a Turbo). I detailed the FM9 build on the Fractal forum and I still love it. I'm in the middle of a massive downsizing though and got curious about the QC again. I went ahead and ordered a QC, a Temple Solo 18, and a Boss EV-30 and put together a little pedalboard. Here are the two boards side by side and a few more detailed pics of the QC board.

IMG_5851.jpeg

IMG_5852.jpeg

IMG_5853.jpeg

IMG_5854.jpeg

IMG_5857.jpeg

IMG_5856.jpeg

Obviously there's a huge difference in size here (also weight, though I haven't actually weighed them both yet). It's a bit misleading to just look at the sizes without some discussion, but regardless the QC does have a a much smaller form factor.

The FM9's tones are absolutely amazing (and apparently about to get even better). I love Cliff's commitment to making the models as accurate as possible. The QC also sounds amazing. The effects are better on the FM9, no question, however the QC's effects are plenty good enough for what I need, so for me both are definitely are top shelf in terms of quality of tones overall.

Specifically on the QC board:

I already had a DC7 and Crux on hand so I used the Crux instead of daisy chaining some of the DC7's jacks together.

I mounted the Shure wireless under the board to save on real estate. I left an opening on the right side of the board so if the wireless goes out I can just run a guitar cable into the wireless receiver.

I found some vinyl at a fabric shop and glued it to the top of Temple board for a cleaner look. The QC, wireless, and expression pedal are secured using 3M Dual Lock. I used a combination of 400 and 250 for what is apparently the strongest bond. The Dual Lock is metal to metal; I cut holes in the vinyl to facilitate this. The Cioks units are secured with bolts.

Both of these units/setups are awesome. Though it pains me, I will probably sell off the FM9 setup. This is driven almost entirely because of my downsizing. There are certainly things I prefer about the FM9 and I LOVE fractal as a company, but the QC seems to fit my specific needs a little more right now. With that said, I'll be keeping a close eye on what Fractal does in the future and I expect that I'll be back on the Fractal bandwagon as soon as Gen IV comes around (if not sooner).

Don't you have 4 sets of powered speakers? :hmm :ROFLMAO:
No!!

I only have one FR-12 and two PXM-12s

Are you using captures or the models more on the QC?
Hmm. So far mostly models, though I have a few captures downloaded that I still need to toy with.

“Downsizing” You guys moving to Hobbiton?

I keed, I keed, Rock on Dead 🤘
In this 115° heat in the desert, a bit of that green from the shire sounds pretty good about now.

See, now this is the kind of thing that makes the QC fun. I read that post, went to the app, searched and found it, and downloaded it. It'll be on my QC next time I fire it up. Less than a minute and no need to even connect to a computer.
Definitely! I think it's an amp cab capture so no IR needed

See, now this is the kind of thing that makes the QC fun. I read that post, went to the app, searched and found it, and downloaded it. It'll be on my QC next time I fire it up. Less than a minute and no need to even connect to a computer.

Totally my thoughts when I had it, too. Also seems far more a “2024” tech experience than either Fractal or the Helix, especially for younger/Gen Z users.

If any of you already have an FM9 and just want the rest of the board let me know. Oh I guess I'll put it on the classifieds when I get home.

Back