Simeon Harris' preset collections

JiveTurkey

Goatlord
TGF Recording Artist
Read the story first:
Thread 'Some new presets from me for download' https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/some-new-presets-from-me-for-download.200353/

Simeons presets:

Grabbed these earlier. Some LEGENDARY atmospheric lushness in these. Highly recommend for soundscaping
Dance Loop GIF

As a very happy FM9 owner, I'm almost never jealous of AxeFX owners. I don't really mind waiting for updates; it builds an anticipation that's actually kinda exciting.

But then there are times like this. Bah.

giphy.gif

Just listened to all the sound examples on his page - and wow, there's some incredible stuff! I'm absolutely sure the Axe (and maybe the FM9) is the only modeler to do all that on its own. You could possibly get close in terms of delays and reverbs using something else, but there's also quite some filtering stuff going on that no other modeler could even dream of doing.
Hmpf. I don't want a rack ever again and I don't want to pay stupid G66 prices at all. But that kinda stuff sure is tempting.

Just listened to all the sound examples on his page - and wow, there's some incredible stuff! I'm absolutely sure the Axe (and maybe the FM9) is the only modeler to do all that on its own. You could possibly get close in terms of delays and reverbs using something else, but there's also quite some filtering stuff going on that no other modeler could even dream of doing.
Hmpf. I don't want a rack ever again and I don't want to pay stupid G66 prices at all. But that kinda stuff sure is tempting.
Apart from some of the Helix delays - Glitch Delay, Euclidean Delay, things like that - the Axe3 is definitely the best sandbox to be in when it comes to making expressive "non-guitar" sounds. This is kind of why I was a bit flummoxed at your "conservative" post the other day, because to my mind, with these tools we already have everything we need to make non-traditional non-guitar sounds that we need.

If you can, definitely try and checkout a Fractal unit. I think they'd be up your street. Try the FM3 or FM9; the floor versions. They're a little less powerful than the Axe3 rack unit, but still have a lot of possibilities in there.

If you can, definitely try and checkout a Fractal unit. I think they'd be up your street. Try the FM3 or FM9; the floor versions. They're a little less powerful than the Axe3 rack unit, but still have a lot of possibilities in there.

Well, I had an Axe FX III at my place for a week or so. Didn't get much into editing and FX (ab)usage but in general, I obviously agree, yes, they would be up my street. But then, I was kinda serious, I really don't want a rack again. The form factor of my current rig (just a pedalboard case and then, depending on the gig, a utility case/bag and a small monitor) is pretty much perfect, I can go by train if I need to, etc.
And as far as FM9 or FM3 are concerned, no way unless they get the global block feature.

And oh, fwiw:

This is kind of why I was a bit flummoxed at your "conservative" post the other day, because to my mind, with these tools we already have everything we need to make non-traditional non-guitar sounds that we need.

Sure, there's plenty of tools available already. But the way things are laid out, the way their main workflow paradigm might lend to some results and what not, all along with what people are requesting, etc. - all that isn't exactly inviting to come up with non-traditional sounds.
And while I have very little experience with the FAS units, I don't think it's too much different here, especially as personally, I'd really be interested in new "core" sounds, starting straight at the guitar. And how far that can take you can still be demonstrated using a 25+ year old VF system.
In a nutshell: It's really not just about the modeler or wild FX, it's the entire package of guitar, its processing and easy access to all kinds of modifications.

And as far as FM9 or FM3 are concerned, no way unless they get the global block feature.
Oh I didn't know they didn't have that. Good to know, because I was thinking an FM9 at some point myself!

Racks aren't my favourite thing either. Although I do like not having to bend down to make tweaks. But I can imagine at a gig where everyone is stacking heads on top of a cab, it could be quite annoying to have to deal with where to put it.

Oh I didn't know they didn't have that. Good to know, because I was thinking an FM9 at some point myself!

Racks aren't my favourite thing either. Although I do like not having to bend down to make tweaks. But I can imagine at a gig where everyone is stacking heads on top of a cab, it could be quite annoying to have to deal with where to put it.

If I was still using amps, a rack unit possibly wouldn't be much of an issue - but I will never ever go back, simply because I just immensely enjoy the form factor of my current rig. I will likely get rid of the car in 2-3 years as well, so transportability will be even more important.
As far as bending down goes, I really only need to do so during soundcheck and maybe 1-2 times during a gig, after all, my sounds are tried and trusted by now. And at home (where I'm dialing in things all the time), my board is comfortably lifted up, so it's next to my right hand when farting in my chair.

There are some EXCELLENT guitar tones in some of the presets as well. Very Gilmour does soundscapes vibes to my ears.

This is 1000% why I always hope for further development on the FAS synth block. Imagine being able to play these massive sounds at normal riffing speeds without any glitches :love :love :love

Simeon's synth presets are pretty much the only presets I've hung onto. There's a wealth of inspiration in those just by opening one up, hitting a single string and seeing what happens, never mind the educational aspects of learning how to program that stuff. Donation happily sent, that dude has done a LOT of work for the Fractal community and asks for nothing in return.

Out of curiosity, for those being able to actually inspect these patches: Is there a lot of modulation going on? Not as in modulation FX but in terms of whatever modulation sources modulating whatever targets?
I'm asking because I'm sure once you have those at your disposal, synth-ish sounds are way easier to achieve. Guitar Rig has all the modulation options as well and if anything, it's really great for wicked soundscapes and synth-alike sounds. Even not too shiny filter blocks can be quite enhanced with the right amount of modulation, even if you keep it rather simple (such as in providing level, a simple envelope and an LFO). With some clever cross-modulation (as in, say, your input level modulating the envelopes attack - with the envelope then controlling the overall volume), pretty wild things are possible already.

Honestly; his presets are not remotely easy things to crack for me in the slightest. LOTS of things going on and trying to decipher what is happening is a mystery to this dumb brain :facepalm:rofl

Honestly; his presets are not remotely easy things to crack for me in the slightest. LOTS of things going on and trying to decipher what is happening is a mystery to this dumb brain :facepalm:rofl

No worries - it's quite a pain with some more complexed Helix patches already, once you factor in a nice mixture of controllers and snapshots.
I can imagine these patches to look at least as complexed as some synth patches - and reverse engineering those is pretty much always a major PITA, too.

Back