Why is that I don't like hi-gain/distortion presets from others?

Second one is way too bright and harsh.

I think there's a hard thing with modelers in getting high gain right. It's way too easy to get an overly harsh and bright tone. In the real world, you can absolutely get a terrible bright thin tone, but if you have the basics right, physics kind of keeps you from doing anything horribly stupid.

Like if you had a 5150 amp with a matching cab, and if you took a 57 and put it on a speaker a few inches off center, it probably will sound decent and probably won't be super harsh and terrible.

Ears are really sensitive in the high mids, and a lot of people can't differentiate high mids (say the 3-4k range) from high end (say 7-8k on up). Especially if your monitors are bad or you have significant hearing damage.

Generally speaking, we live in an Guitar Era of too much gain, bass, and treble. :idk

The trends have been pushing in that direction for a few decades, and I think
that it may have peaked.

Bringing back the Mids (often by lowering the Bass/Treble) and easing up on
the Gain (and compression, as a result) is sort of my default in utter protest for
quite a long time now. :guiness

Generally speaking, we live in an Guitar Era of too much gain, bass, and treble. :idk

The trends have been pushing in that direction for a few decades, and I think
that it may have peaked.

Bringing back the Mids (often by lowering the Bass/Treble) and easing up on
the Gain (and compression, as a result) is sort of my default in utter protest for
quite a long time now. :guiness

100.png

"When you scoop out the mids, you scoop out the soul."

Back