Silly?

Don't multiple digital devices in the signal path increase the number of A/D/A conversions going on
and accumulate more latency with each added device?? Especially if there is no analog dry thru, and
they end up adding latency even when not "on," but in the chain. :idk

Who are you...

Steve Vai Guitar GIF by Polyphia

...?

Don't multiple digital devices in the signal path increase the number of A/D/A conversions going on
and accumulate more latency with each added device?? Especially if there is no analog dry thru, and

The AD conversion is IMO inconsequential but the latency is certainly a thing.
For verbs and delays it’s no issue at all cause you can run them in a parallel loop. The signal in the QC would remain untouched.

If you're running it in parallel, there is no dry to worry about whether it is analog or digital :rollsafe

On the positive side of things, the H90 should hold okay-ish resale value for a while. The presets should also be kind of inspiring. And it should be too hard to set up a patch that basically is your standard "reverb/delay tone" that you don't have to edit much.

On the down side -- the UI on the H90 doesn't seem to be super useful for "I just wanna sit here and see what kinda cool sounds I can make."

I ran my QC with an HXFX without any issues :idk
I did this with the QC and I certainly didn't notice added latency, as long as the QC preset itself was low latency. The HXFX has pretty good latency performance AFAIK. I assume it's similar to an HX stomp that DI has stated is like 1,2ms or something.

I've also run the H90 both pre FM3 and in a series loop simultaneously, and could barely tell the difference, even though I can hear the guitar strings while playing.

A fun way to test how sensitive to latency you actually are is to set up a perfectly neutral delay 100% wet in series, toggle it on/off blindly until you have no idea if it's on or off, and then toggle it while playing and try to guess if it's on or off. Change the delay time until you can fairly reliably tell that it's on, and there's your threshold.

Back