Shuguang power tubes

Thrifty

Groupie
Well, I know that their preamp tubes are stock in many amps, like Diezels.

I need to change the power tubes in both my Engl Fireball 100 and Savage 120.

So I happened to come across a listing for Shuguang KT88s ( for the Savage) and 6L6s (for the Fireball).

Are they any good? Or are they best reserved for preamp tubes?

Their 6L6s are generally very good. Are you looking at Ruby 6L6GCMSTR? Those were the old standard used by Mesa, Peavey, etc.

Thanks. These are very different takes. I am very limited by my choice of options where I live.

At any rate, I’ll take most opinions with a pinch of salt. I know Shuguang comes stock and is recommended by amp manufacturers like Diezel, at least for preamp tubes.

I think I will try and relay my impressions on the forums.

Thanks. These are very different takes. I am very limited by my choice of options where I live.

At any rate, I’ll take most opinions with a pinch of salt. I know Shuguang comes stock and is recommended by amp manufacturers like Diezel, at least for preamp tubes.

I think I will try and relay my impressions on the forums.
If you're buying Shuguang Preamp Tubes for a High Gain amp, make sure you order High Gain Preamp Tubes. Ruby tubes offers this service.

The Tube Store sold me 10 brand new Shuguang 12ax7 preamp tubes. All of them measured mid 80's for mU (gain), which is not much.

Can’t speak to their pres, but the old 6L6GCMSTR tubes were outstanding. Replaced a quad of STR430s (6L6WXT+ from Sovtek) with those STR440s (the rebranded aforementioned Ruby) and noticed a massive improvement in that amp. They were my go to 6L6 for a long time. Had em in my Mark Vs too. Also great in a friend’s XXX.

Back