Ritchie Blackmore Tones

Buy an Engl Blackmore and use Quarter Pounders. Not exactly the same but damn close, since the pickups in his "Strat" weren't anything approaching stock.

He used stock strat pickups up to well into 1977.
Depends on who you ask. I know that breakdown is exhaustively researched, but I also knew Dawk at one point and he didn't think they were anything resembling stock, since they sounded more like P90s. Ritchie's stories seldom line up, too, probably because it was so damn long ago and no one cared about this shit in 1977. lol

Depends on who you ask. I know that breakdown is exhaustively researched, but I also knew Dawk at one point and he didn't think they were anything resembling stock, since they sounded more like P90s. Ritchie's stories seldom line up, too, probably because it was so damn long ago and no one cared about this s**t in 1977. lol
Sounds like stock strat pickups to me on like California Jam, Live in Europe, and yeah a much thicker tone later on, does anyone remember anything from that time... :D

I unfortunately am of no help -- no Snax FX, haven't really gone for a Ritchie tone -- but I would suggest not being beholden to Marshalls. What I understand is that the Major is 200w, which is mainly for higher headroom (so basically more clean headroom from the poweramp), likely cranked (getting some speaker distortion), and may or may not have been modded to sound like his Vox prior to the Marshalls.

What I forget though is this: were they modded to get more of a Vox style tone, or is that what the treble booster and tape deck preamp are for?

Anyways, I think EQs could help, either pre or post amp block. Speaker distortion might play into things here (as I stated earlier), so that may take some finagling.

That said, I may be way off base here, as -- like I said -- I've never gone for Ritchie's tone and I do not only a Snax. That said, I do have a buttercream Strat with black EMGs that are sort in tribute to Mr. Blackmore and his most famous disciple, Mr. Malmsteen.

With that, I leave you with something a wise man once told me: "PLAY LOUD! MORE IS MORE!"

I am not even close. :LOL:

But I am having a hit ton of fun and it is cool learning some songs I never
attempted in my life until now. I decided to just go Strat, Marshall, Tape
Delay in front of amp, and go more for his vibe and style than his tone.

More fun to actually play those songs than obsess over tonal minutae. For me. :beer

Still appreciate the recommendations.

More fun to actually play those songs than obsess over tonal minutae. For me. :beer

That's more like it. Add a treble booster and it should get you more ballpark. You'll sound much closer to Ritchie (or anyone) going for their vibe and playing style than having the gear. Obviously, the appropriate sound/voicing matters (ie, you don't want a Metallica tone when playing something like DP), but the vibe matters more.

Is it wrong to have Perfect Strangers as your favorite Deep Purple album? :bag :unsure: :chef

Great album. I am partial to Stormbringer. :sofa

One thing I discovered listening to a bunch of live clips this past weekend and staying
up way too late (because I could, and am an adult!) is that live shows were so full of
improv and extended jams. 2 hour shows and only 10 songs. WTF? Oh, and tuning up
under volume was a thing that everyone did, if they tuned at all.

The other is the Blues. Holy fuck. All those British bands that became massive need to
send HUGE checks to African-American Blues Artists they totally ripped off, and in many
cases didn't do nearly as well as the originators did. Yes, you, too, Ritchie. Your 10 minutes
of random pentatonic noodling on Youtube is not a lie!!! :LOL:

• 100%
Reactions: JT
That's more like it. Add a treble booster and it should get you more ballpark. You'll sound much closer to Ritchie (or anyone) going for their vibe and playing style than having the gear. Obviously, the appropriate sound/voicing matters (ie, you don't want a Metallica tone when playing something like DP), but the vibe matters more.

Man, I can't get on with the TB in front of a Marshall. :idk Especially with a Strat. Just seems to thin out
the tone more than what I am hearing from Ritchie live. The Tape Delay in front works like a charm, though.

Man, I can't get on with the TB in front of a Marshall. :idk Especially with a Strat. Just seems to thin out
the tone more than what I am hearing from Ritchie live. The Tape Delay in front works like a charm, though.
Can you somehow split it or blend it so that you are not getting 100% of the treble booster, but rather more like 50/50? Worth noting that if the model is based on the more treble based input and Ritchie's amp setup was into a more bass based input or overall sound, the treble booster will be more or less necessary. I'm unsure which input he used, though.

Can you somehow split it or blend it so that you are not getting 100% of the treble booster, but rather more like 50/50? Worth noting that if the model is based on the more treble based input and Ritchie's amp setup was into a more bass based input or overall sound, the treble booster will be more or less necessary. I'm unsure which input he used, though.
Ritchie's had an extra preamp stage on the one that was usually mic'd, IIRC.

I still say if you get the phrasing and the general style and any recognizable licks copped, as long as the tone is in the ballpark, no one's gonna care.
Music first. Tone second.

Back