Reverb - Delay Pedal Order

Whizzinby

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
How do you guys chain your Reverb and Delay?

I always run Reverb last in the chain before the front of the amp, and then Delay in the loop. If I’m running everything in the front of an amp it’s always Reverb then Delay. On modelers always that order but after the cab block.

I was watching some Empress video and they mentioned Delay into Reverb is the most popular, or conventional order. Is that true? (In terms of popularity)

Obviously there is no “right” method, but just curious how you guys chain your time based stuff.

Delay into reverb, but I change up series/parallel as well as how both those effects are routed. It’d probably be easier to post a screenshot of AxeEdit, but if I’m putting them in parallel, I feed the delay into the reverb but also put the reverb in parallel with the signal chain on it’s own, so it’s not just delays getting the reverb but everything I play.

For the most part I use them in parallel, but if it’s something that’s got crazy effects or I want the delay much more pronounced/taking over the sound I’ll put it in series.

And for the last year I run a reverse delay at half the tempo of the first delay at the very end of the chain and mix it a bit lower, really cool movement going on in pauses between notes instead of just the standard delay trails. And more is more.

I pretty much always go delay into reverb regardless of loop or up front

That said, my afterneath is currently sitting before my RE-202 (which is both delay and reverb). But if I'm kicking that on it's gonna be an atmospheric wash. But For retaining clarity and conventional usage, reverb sounds better after delay imo

I always run Reverb last in the chain before the front of the amp, and then Delay in the loop
tropic-thunder-robert-downey-jr.gif

Be a leader, not a follower. :ROFLMAO:

TBH I’m surprised everyone is going the other route entirely. I prefer my delays in the loop and always preferred my verbs last in before the amp.

Interesting. :unsure:
I guess it depends on what you're playing and what you want out of a rig. I love the sounds of delays up front but turn my nose up at reverb that way!

I always assumed delay into verb was normcore until I saw some of the Bob Bradshaw rigs where he places delay ends of chain, so you're keeping good company there.

Delay - verb - pitch detune is my current favourite thick'n'greasy combo.

I always assumed delay into verb was normcore until I saw some of the Bob Bradshaw rigs where he places delay ends of chain, so you're keeping good company there.

Delay - verb - pitch detune is my current favourite thick'n'greasy combo.

That’s comforting as a sanity check. Ha

You using the detune there in your chain for chorusing?

I've had good results splitting the paths between the delay and reverb.

Make the delay 100% wet and bring the level up to taste. It keeps the repeats from drowning in the reverb

I don't. Even on my pedalboard I use a Gigrig Wetter Box to run my reverb and delay in parallel. Sounds clearer that way.

I don't. Even on my pedalboard I use a Gigrig Wetter Box to run my reverb and delay in parallel. Sounds clearer that way.

You use that in mono or stereo and where are you placing it, in front of the amp or the loop?

Delay into reverb, but I change up series/parallel as well as how both those effects are routed. It’d probably be easier to post a screenshot of AxeEdit, but if I’m putting them in parallel, I feed the delay into the reverb but also put the reverb in parallel with the signal chain on it’s own, so it’s not just delays getting the reverb but everything I play.

For the most part I use them in parallel, but if it’s something that’s got crazy effects or I want the delay much more pronounced/taking over the sound I’ll put it in series.

And for the last year I run a reverse delay at half the tempo of the first delay at the very end of the chain and mix it a bit lower, really cool movement going on in pauses between notes instead of just the standard delay trails. And more is more.
My standard template has three delays ( ahead of the reverbs)

I use ducking fwiw

My first delay /go to is a stereo tape delay; usually 1/4 tempo.

And #2 parallel, sits in reverse running dotted 1/8ths.

#3 is Multiplex delay for leads, which is also parallel.

Occasionally I switch to something like the fas carbon copy in front of the amplifier to get that strong gritty vibe going.

I need to go play with those big cloud reverbs more; it’s something I really want to do but never do.

Back