Recently tried the Joyo Vintage overdrive. Not disappointed but not thrilled either.

surffisherman

Groupie
Gave the Joyo Vintage Overdrive a try , very high quality sound for the money , was quite surprised. Not sure I'm going to keep it though since I wanted more gain .

It's a pretty mellow overdrive even when everything is maxed out.

I got one of those a while ago, I needed to boost an amp I wasn’t going to be using for long and snagged one on Amazon. I kept it on a board for a while but I can’t remember what it sounds like on it’s own into a clean amp. I think it’s just a TS9 clone, isn’t it?

Joyo makes some great products at their price point. I have their Zombie ll lunchbox amp and 6 band eq. Both work excellent and seem to be built well. Never tried their overdrive though, probably due to the fact that I have quite a few already. I’m still into the tried and true Boss SD 1 for clean boosting my Marshall on the red channel. For the green channel I have two other preferences, tops on my list is the Caline Englishman and the Tone City Golden Plexi. Both of these get me in the tonal spectrum that I really love. The gain on both of these pedals goes from mild to wild very quickly and can probably do any genre one may desire. Both are very budget friendly and kick some major ass if you’re into the type of tones they are cloning so to speak…
:beer

I got one of those a while ago, I needed to boost an amp I wasn’t going to be using for long and snagged one on Amazon. I kept it on a board for a while but I can’t remember what it sounds like on it’s own into a clean amp. I think it’s just a TS9 clone, isn’t it?
A TS808 clone .

Joyo makes some great products at their price point. I have their Zombie ll lunchbox amp and 6 band eq. Both work excellent and seem to be built well. Never tried their overdrive though, probably due to the fact that I have quite a few already. I’m still into the tried and true Boss SD 1 for clean boosting my Marshall on the red channel. For the green channel I have two other preferences, tops on my list is the Caline Englishman and the Tone City Golden Plexi. Both of these get me in the tonal spectrum that I really love. The gain on both of these pedals goes from mild to wild very quickly and can probably do any genre one may desire. Both are very budget friendly and kick some major ass if you’re into the type of tones they are cloning so to speak…
I do see that Caline name a lot when talking about good pedals that aren't expensive . I need to check out the Tone city golden Plexi because that sounds like it may be what I like also .

I do see that Caline name a lot when talking about good pedals that aren't expensive . I need to check out the Tone city golden Plexi because that sounds like it may be what I like also .
Oh yeah, if your into those types of tones, both would fit the bill. As I mentioned before, when I use these particular pedals, it’s through the green channel with the gain about 9 o’clock at the highest for my 70’s hard rock tastes. When going higher than that on either pedal, it gets really dirty really quickly and then you’re into a different tonal territory for sure…check YouTube for videos of both. I had to get the Caline Englishman from a music store in Canada on Reverb. Shipped quickly and got to me within the week here in the US.

Oh yeah, if your into those types of tones, both would fit the bill. As I mentioned before, when I use these particular pedals, it’s through the green channel with the gain about 9 o’clock at the highest for my 70’s hard rock tastes. When going higher than that on either pedal, it gets really dirty really quickly and then you’re into a different tonal territory for sure…check YouTube for videos of both. I had to get the Caline Englishman from a music store in Canada on Reverb. Shipped quickly and got to me within the week here in the US.

Just bought the Tone City Plexi V2 to see if I like it . I'll be shocked if I don't . Now looking into the Englishman . Anyone try a Carl Martin pedal ? Heard some good things about those also .

Agreed. I have a Joyo Noise Killer and it’s the best noise gate I’ve ever owned. Also have a ZoMBie and the 10-band eq - both are surprisingly good. All in the two pedals and the amp cost me less than $200 combined.

Edit: the Noise Killer is Donner, not Joyo… #samedifference

Last edited:
One Joyo thing I have that I use all the time is their E-bow knock-off, I don’t know what they call it but I love that thing. Use it to layer up chords or melodies in recordings quite a bit (even though half the time the mix is so dense you can’t hear it). I think I’ve got their Phase 90 clone kicking around somewhere as well.

I am all about good sounding cheap pedals. That seems to be getting more and more scarce as time goes on. The cheap part, at least. I have their Ultimate Drive (OCD clone). It sounds good but is pretty noisy compared to the JRR $50 OCD clone I just got. Super impressed with it.

I have a few Caline pedals.

Hot Mushroom: Very good dynacomp clone
White Heat: again very good and it's a great clean boost after everything or to punch the front end of an amp in the gut
English Man is I think going for the Carl Martin Plexitone thang and it may not be a clone but man it's a great high gain OD

I used the OCD clone for a bit and my buddy had the TS clone, both sounded great but both had switch failures after a year or so. But for the price its hard not to give them a shot.

evh2.jpg

I love Caline pedals.. have a Sweet Honey inspired drive from them (Caline Queen Bee). Very sweet and sticky indeed. I have a Pure Sky and a Mellow Drive on the way.. they have a bunch of TS / Fulltime Fulldrive inspired pedals in their line up as well..

I love Caline pedals.. have a Sweet Honey inspired drive from them (Caline Queen Bee). Very sweet and sticky indeed. I have a Pure Sky and a Mellow Drive on the way.. they have a bunch of TS / Fulltime Fulldrive inspired pedals in their line up as well..

I think you will really like the Pure Sky. It's very good.

Back