R.I.P. NAMM

What an odd combination.

Why? One time keeper monster with one noodling monster. Not that the noodling monster wouldn't have impeccable time himself (one often overlooked aspect of Mancuso's playing), but I think that's a pretty good match if it wasn't for the typical NAMM thing and "Sunny" (which is as well a typical thing...). Ok, Wong doesn't seem to know the B and A' parts (or doesn't want to play them), either, but hey.
The only thing I found to be odd was Mancuso switching to that typical shredding overdriven sound, something the setting certainly didn't demand.

Trade shows are dead! Just listen to the oracles of YouTube and forum sites and it is a constant echo predicting the death of not only NAMM, but all trade shows thanks to a medium that gives every common idiot a voice right alongside professionals and the people who are actually manufacturing the stuff. I mean, who wouldn’t want to pick through THAT??

Let me tell you, this must be the best attended funeral in the history of deaths because this place is PACKED! No shortage of exhibitors or events taking place and the booths are all quite busy. Not quite record breaking 2020 attendance but maybe along the lines of the few years leading up to that. I really dont see how Fender and Gibson can stay away. My prediction is they will be back within the next 3 years. NAMM isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. You cannot replace a handshake, a conversation, an in hands demo or a lunch meeting with a YouTube video.
Nope, NAMM will get bigger to the point of the glory days back in 2019.

Trade shows are dead! Just listen to the oracles of YouTube and forum sites and it is a constant echo predicting the death of not only NAMM, but all trade shows thanks to a medium that gives every common idiot a voice right alongside professionals and the people who are actually manufacturing the stuff. I mean, who wouldn’t want to pick through THAT??

Let me tell you, this must be the best attended funeral in the history of deaths because this place is PACKED! No shortage of exhibitors or events taking place and the booths are all quite busy. Not quite record breaking 2020 attendance but maybe along the lines of the few years leading up to that. I really dont see how Fender and Gibson can stay away. My prediction is they will be back within the next 3 years. NAMM isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. You cannot replace a handshake, a conversation, an in hands demo or a lunch meeting with a YouTube video.
I'll admit I was skeptical that NAMM 2024 could bounce back from their dismal and depressing shows in 2022 and 2023. This year attendance was quite a bit higher than I expected and vendor count was up maybe a bit? They do a good job making it seem like there are more booths than there really are—wider hallways, closed off areas, meeting rooms, food/drinks between the vendors, post offices, etc.

Doubt we'll ever get back to the glory days of pre-COVID NAMM (2018 was my personal favorite), but we're hopeful. I still maintain there's not much incentive to align launch campaigns with trade shows; we easily could've shown 4 new products due the first half of this year, but held off.
Nope, NAMM will get bigger to the point of the glory days back in 2019.
Not necessarily doubting you, but what makes you say that?

Trade shows in general are usually a good representation of the economy overall. As long as the economy is doing well, trade shows grow.

Right now US economy is humming along, unfortunately the rest of the world is lagging behind, but overall Stock Market is up, they are saying rates will be coming down later this year, and unemployment is down, so it should have been a good year.

Anyone attend in 2009 or 2010? How was it?

I'll admit I was skeptical that NAMM 2024 could bounce back from their dismal and depressing shows in 2022 and 2023. This year attendance was quite a bit higher than I expected and vendor count was up maybe a bit? They do a good job making it seem like there are more booths than there really are—wider hallways, closed off areas, meeting rooms, food/drinks between the vendors, post offices, etc.

Doubt we'll ever get back to the glory days of pre-COVID NAMM (2018 was my personal favorite), but we're hopeful. I still maintain there's not much incentive to align launch campaigns with trade shows; we easily could've shown 4 new products due the first half of this year, but held off.

Not necessarily doubting you, but what makes you say that?
Input from local friends that are distributors for various brands that go to every NAMM show since a long time. They felt really great about the ambience and vibe from the floor as well as high spirits of many vendors.

NAMM can't do it all alone, big name vendors attendance also can change it, many still have caution spending money on NAMM.

We, as customers that eagerly wait for NAMM reveals are left with few announcements. You as vendors look at NAMM not the same way we do, and we, the customers, keep the light up. NAMM its not all about the deals, but the vibe a brand has for the current year. This does not feel the same with reveals from 20 youtubers delivering demos the same day (now a boring trend).

My 2C

Last edited:
Go tell me... pretty tough over here (at least in comparison to earlier years).
Hopefully it should start getting better and better for everyone soon. We are not completely out of the woods yet either. With all the crap going on the world, there is plenty of opportunity to screw it up...

Back